Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Speccing up a FL2 - Any Must Have's?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

MY 11 XS comes with heated windscreen, satnav, single CD player, auto headlights.

I added, sunroof, full sized spare, DAB, 6 CD autochanger, side protection bars & armrests. Also got bi-zenon headlights but not sure how. Dealer added rubber mats, first aid kit, warning triangle and spare bulb set.

Went for manual as it was cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and lower road tax but each to their own.

Post #87239 9th Jan 2011 9:47 pm
Mr Godfrey

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Heated Seats. Almost instant warmth waiting for the heated screens to clear. Lovely! Laughing TD4e Manual Stornoway Grey. Winter Pack. Sunroof.

Post #87247 9th Jan 2011 10:12 pm
dunroof

I've had cars with factory privacy and ones that the LR dealer had done as a retro. Despite misgivings, I cant tell the difference, although I know there is a way to do this. mind you the dealer fit privacy was the same price as factory, but I could specify shade.

Post #87248 9th Jan 2011 10:13 pm
trevd01

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Mr Godfrey wrote:
Heated Seats. Almost instant warmth waiting for the heated screens to clear. Lovely! Laughing

Standard on XS Trevor

'60 reg SD4 XS (long gone!)

Post #87261 9th Jan 2011 10:47 pm
TrickiDicki

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

We went for the HSA and the Xenon headlights and memory seats are the bizniz. Auto-dimming rear view mirror is a waste of time and money. Rear spoiler finishes the look nicely.

Post #87270 9th Jan 2011 11:50 pm
trevd01

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

TrickiDicki wrote:
Auto-dimming rear view mirror is a waste of time and money.

Standard on XS, too Trevor

'60 reg SD4 XS (long gone!)

Post #87273 10th Jan 2011 12:01 am
PaulC

United Kingdom 

We started down this route. We looked at the HSE spec and there were a few things in it that we weren't bothered about either way so in an effort to save money we looked at the XS and added the extras that we definitely wanted. By the time we had finished we were so close to the HSE spec that now, for the extra money, the additional extras that were in the HSE looked good value.

We also concluded that most people that wanted all those extras when buying secondhand would look for an NSE... not a highly specced XS. I think that it would be more difficult to sell an XS with lots of extras than to sell the HSE... well, at a sensible price anyway. If you priced up a highly specced XS to sell secondhand even though it cost new near the HSE price it is still an XS and it would be priced as one. Also, it would appear in all the searches as an XS.

Nope, we came to the conclusion that once you start to add most of the extras found on the HSE then it is better to buy the HSE and not spec up an XS.

Post #87295 10th Jan 2011 9:28 am
hutchingsp

PaulC wrote:
We started down this route. We looked at the HSE spec and there were a few things in it that we weren't bothered about either way so in an effort to save money we looked at the XS and added the extras that we definitely wanted. By the time we had finished we were so close to the HSE spec that now, for the extra money, the additional extras that were in the HSE looked good value.

We also concluded that most people that wanted all those extras when buying secondhand would look for an NSE... not a highly specced XS. I think that it would be more difficult to sell an XS with lots of extras than to sell the HSE... well, at a sensible price anyway. If you priced up a highly specced XS to sell secondhand even though it cost new near the HSE price it is still an XS and it would be priced as one. Also, it would appear in all the searches as an XS.

Nope, we came to the conclusion that once you start to add most of the extras found on the HSE then it is better to buy the HSE and not spec up an XS.

Even on a HSE privacy glass and metallic paint are additional, so if you keep those out of the equation it's only a couple of options on the XS (admittedly one being the sunroof).

I did think a similar thing but when you price it up there's a £3k difference in it - there's a point financially where enough is enough I think.

Post #87301 10th Jan 2011 9:45 am
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

First 2 options I ticked on ours were the door rubbing strips to protect the doors from scumbags who clout your car in car parks with their doors, and mudflaps, they keep it a damn site cleaner for longer in this weather and also protect the sills and rear undertray from stone chips...quite relevant at the moment!

I've found that if you have a sunroof you tend to use it, but don't lose sleep if you don't have one! (Ours is HSE though so has as standard Mr. Green )

Heated screen +1 from me too! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #87315 10th Jan 2011 12:35 pm
Downsized

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Galway Green

Having recently ordered a MY11 XS manual to replace the MY07 D3 XS went through the same dilemma. In the end just ordered the rear centre arm rest for the kids and roof rails for the roof box.
Absolutely didn't want a sunroof, we have enough problems with street lights waking up the kids when they are asleep in the back without more light coming in the top and if I have the box on it seems silly to be just be looking at the bottom of a black plastic box.
I also didnt want that additional bit of redundant painted plastic or the spoiler as it known, Again with the box I have which is rear access only and this would have just got in the way.
Have tried the front armrests in the test car and loaners and just cant get on with them but that a real personal thing
My essentials were
Cold weather pack, had this on the D3 and would not be without it.
Puddle lamps ditto
Both standard on the XS anyway
I wanted privacy glass but the boss is dead against it.

Resale wasn't an issue as its a company lease car.

Post #87319 10th Jan 2011 12:59 pm
SPNRACING

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Captain Worm wrote:

Dont bother with 6 disks... its slow and noisy - just get an iPod

Just a quick point - if the option is the same as the HSE system, the 6 CDs support 'data' rather than audio CDs so you can load up you system with thousands of songs and never have to worry about leaving an external device in the car and getting the windows smashed.

After 6 months of ownership the bits I really make use of are the stereo generally (superb sound), DAB radio, memory seats, heated seats, xenons, arm rests and bluetooth phone. I also personally think the bigger HSE alloys suit the car. 2010 HSE Auto in Santorini Black/almond with xenons and privacy glass.

Post #87326 10th Jan 2011 2:33 pm
hutchingsp

OK so barring a miracle tomorrow I'll be confirming with the dealer I went to see today that i want to order a new MY11.

Exterior I'm settled on Stornoway.

Interior I'm not so sure. Common sense and personal taste suggests black as the almond is just a little too dog Censored like for my tastes, but I haven't seen any gray interiors in person - any good?

Leaning towards black (Napoli) with black element trim.

Post #88693 19th Jan 2011 8:50 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Grey is good and in my opinion quite stylish

Post #88697 19th Jan 2011 9:07 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I ordered stornaway and while I waited I wondered if I should have gone for a different colour but as when I saw it today I knew I'd been right. I wish it wasn't so bloody common though Confused For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #88700 19th Jan 2011 9:13 pm
Mark12

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Ipanema Sand

hutchingsp wrote:
OK so barring a miracle tomorrow I'll be confirming with the dealer I went to see today that i want to order a new MY11.

Exterior I'm settled on Stornoway.

Interior I'm not so sure. Common sense and personal taste suggests black as the almond is just a little too dog Censored like for my tastes, but I haven't seen any gray interiors in person - any good?

Leaning towards black (Napoli) with black element trim.

I have specified the Black Napoli interior on the XS that I have just ordered. I quite like the Almond seats but cannot stand the yellow plastic and nutmeg carpet that you also get.

I did consider the Alcantara seats that come standard on the XS but when I saw them on the car in the show room I did not like them, besides, the Alcantara was more grey than black and I thought it would look odd with the exterior colour which is Ipanema Sand.

Post #88702 19th Jan 2011 9:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>