Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > AFS - Adaptive Headlights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

Fixed Bow down but how was the actual problem solved Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #82300 30th Nov 2010 11:21 am
Junior

England 

Yeh, come on, let us have the full story-what was the cause of the problem?

Post #82313 30th Nov 2010 12:30 pm
athelstan

To answer the question in detail of how they were fixed and what caused the problem you'd have to ask the LPR service engineer for the exact full tech spec.. Thankfully I'm always happy with the confirmation that they were now fully operational.

Basically however I was told that he went back and consulted her Ladyship's FL2's build codes that accompanied the vehicle along the production line. Re installed the software for the control of the AFS and then reset the horizontal datum point from somewhere near Jupiter to average Englishman waist height. Then followed lighting tests to ensure that all was functioning as it "adaptive" should be.

Yes it does now "twitch" to orientate itself N_S_E_W and the proof of the fix was very clear in the drive home to CH.

My drive to the UK began at 5:00am in total darkness carrying a light load in the rear load space and continued until day break nearly 3hrs later. During this time I was truly lighting up the sky not the road and the headlights were locked at dead ahead. During this time I occasionally received flashed lights back at me by irritated oncoming drivers. Finally during the daytime I gave up on the headlights and ran with only sidelights and front fogs on so as to remain highly visible but not cause discomfort to other oncoming road users.

For the drive back to Switzerland I had a very full and heavy load in the rear that required the back seats to be folded flat. It began in darkness at approximately 17:45hrs from LPR West London (via a seminar in Wimbledon) to arrive in Dover Docks at 23:30hrs for an overnight ferry to Dunkerque. Then followed a 5:00am start through northern France and Belgium, in darkness and a snow blizzard. The lights tracked the curvature of the roads with the beam spread firmly focused on the tarmac and the revised "waist line" horizon; not low flying aircraft or the stars. My safety and that of other road users was now never compromised. The difference was stark and significantly improved my night time driving comfort and contributed to a appreciable reduction in the eye strain that leads to tiredness.

Tip 1: if you are ordering a new FL2 spend some of your budget on Xenon Adaptive Headlights.
Tip 2: if you have AFS keep an eye out for the twitching - if not present your system may have develop a fault, the cause of which could be any of the suggestions made in this thread by fellow Freel2.com members, or be a case of back to installed software.

Post #82329 30th Nov 2010 2:07 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #82335 30th Nov 2010 2:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234