Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > AFS - Adaptive Headlights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
heliosuk

It sounds like the units have moved to a default position as it can't sense where they are. Check the pin and fixing that is in the rear suspension arm. If loose it could send a false signal which will not correlate with the calibration hence say something is wrong and cause a default setting to kick in.

Have you asked the dealer to call technical support or asked for the number yourself to call?

Post #80891 16th Nov 2010 9:45 pm
athelstan

Thanks for the input Mr Pinks - appreciated.
But, you've said you have side lights on as well as headlights - according to the Owners Manual that deactivates the AFS - now scratching my head even harder than the previous 4 days !!!!!

Post #80940 17th Nov 2010 10:04 am
athelstan

heliosuk
Many thanks for your suggestion. Question re the pin and fixing you refer to: where's this suspension arm you refer to and what does it look like? That may sound a stupid request but I've looked at the diagram of the inside of the headlamp unit as shown in the Owners Manual and cannot identify a "suspension arm".

Still no word from LR Dealer on my request for assistance to fix before driving to Blighty this Friday.

Post #80942 17th Nov 2010 10:09 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

athelstan wrote:
Thanks for the input Mr Pinks - appreciated.
But, you've said you have side lights on as well as headlights - according to the Owners Manual that deactivates the AFS - now scratching my head even harder than the previous 4 days !!!!!

you can't have your headlights on, without the side light been on Confused

off>side lights>main lights (which keeps the side lights on)>Auto lights

even pressing the light button on my keyfob puts the sides lights on aswell Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #80948 17th Nov 2010 11:49 am
athelstan

Yes I know you are right - but - as it clearly states in OM - "AFS deactivated with DRL are on (aka Side Lights).

This is a very confusing and frustrating time. her Laydship's headlights do not orientate, are positioned high (great for reading tall large directional road signs Smile ) and are most certainly not functioning like they were before the AFS alarm activated.

Perhapes if I just go outside and shoot the headlamps they'll operate better.

Post #80949 17th Nov 2010 11:56 am
heliosuk

[quote="athelstan"]heliosuk
Many thanks for your suggestion. Question re the pin and fixing you refer to: where's this suspension arm you refer to and what does it look like? That may sound a stupid request but I've looked at the diagram of the inside of the headlamp unit as shown in the Owners Manual and cannot identify a "suspension arm".
quote]

LOL!! Suspension arms are under the car and connect the wheels to the body!
If you look under the car at the back, inboard of the left rear wheel assembly you will see the suspension arms. One is a pressed piece of steel the rear most being a tubular arm. In the tubular arm there will be 2 holes in the front of it and one in the rear. The other hole has a riv nut in it and a pin with a 10mm head. To this is connected an arm which links to the height sensor. These can come loose and thus as it moves around sends an erranous signal to the AFS control signal. If you look at the front right hand wishbone you will see one there as well but the fixing is different.

The AFS control unit will light the fault indicator if it sees an error in the height sensors, vehicle speed sensor, reverse sensor, and or steering wheel angle sensor.

I think the error is in the height sensor as other systems such as ESP rely on the other sensors. The height sensor is the only one which is independant of other systems and affects the AFS height.

IF the Swiss dealers can't fix the issue then ask them to manually adjust the lights as they would a halogen set up. The AFS fault light does not necessarily mean the AFS is faulty, it could be because of an input from the other systems signals. Hope this helps.

Post #80980 17th Nov 2010 10:42 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Dave wrote:
You've got ya bloody fog lights on and it's NOT foggy Banging Head Laughing

Laughing If Autocar/Top Gear/What car.... et al car mags can do it on their front covers then why not Mr P in his 'photoshoot' Laughing

It's the kn Censored bs in the 3 series bmw's with them on all day every day that winds us up Rolling Eyes

Post #80981 17th Nov 2010 11:02 pm
Junior

England 

Have you looked inside the headlight unit? the adaptive part of the xenon moves by way of a ball joint type affair.
Remove the head lamp from the car and remove the back of the cover & make sure the ball is in the socket???????

Post #80984 18th Nov 2010 1:16 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

mcphersonstrut wrote:
Dave wrote:
You've got ya bloody fog lights on and it's NOT foggy Banging Head Laughing

Laughing If Autocar/Top Gear/What car.... et al car mags can do it on their front covers then why not Mr P in his 'photoshoot' Laughing

It's the kn Censored bs in the 3 series bmw's with them on all day every day that winds us up Rolling Eyes

Shocked I cant turn my lights off at all when the ignition is on Rolling Eyes The most Scandinavian cars can do is turn off the headlights, but all the side lights will remain on ALL the time. Turn on the fog lights and the main beam turns off (just remains on dipped).
So not just for BMW-drivers, but something for all UK drivers to get used too in the future 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #80994 18th Nov 2010 8:04 am
athelstan

heliosuk
Many thanks for the clarity in your explanation - appreciated.
I'm sorry for the frustration you felt, however I thought you were referring to a "suspension arm" inside the headlamp unit, not being an engineer I did not think that you were referring to the car's chassis suspension system. Your quiet correct lateral thinking got the better of my very focused thinking - fog of war etc.

I'll be out there checking the suspension arm attached to the wheels. Cheers.

Post #81000 18th Nov 2010 9:19 am
athelstan

Junior wrote:
Have you looked inside the headlight unit? the adaptive part of the xenon moves by way of a ball joint type affair.
Remove the head lamp from the car and remove the back of the cover & make sure the ball is in the socket???????

On my list of items to check today before I leave at 5:00hrs tomorrow morning. Thanks for the suggestion - appreciated.

Post #81001 18th Nov 2010 9:25 am
athelstan

heliosuk
Just been under the FL2.
1: Checked Rear Left Suspension Arm: AFS Height Sensor firmly held in position - no "loose" movement in its fittings.
2: Checked Front Right Wishbone: AFS Height Sensor firmly attached in postion - no "loose" movement of fittings.

Oh well. If I scratch my head anymore I'll have no hair left over this subject.

Post #81006 18th Nov 2010 10:29 am
athelstan

To Everyone
Many thanks for everyone's endeavours to resolve this issue before I drive tomorrow (much of it in the dark) to the UK. Your efforts were inspirational, informative and most welcomed.

Her Ladyship's FL2 is now booked into Lookers Park Royal on Wednesday 24th for this, and, a host of other issues to be resolved; issues that received insufficient attention last Thursday whilst at the Swiss LR dealer for its first annual service. A dealership that has till today still not had the common courtesy to responded to my request for them to look at her FL2 before I drive it to England.

My thanks go to David Kingsnorth -Service Manager at LPR for communicating promptly with me on these issues, and for fitting her FL2 in at short notice. That's very much appreciated.

Post #81009 18th Nov 2010 10:42 am
athelstan

FIXED BY PROFESSIONALS - LOOKERS PARK ROYAL

Post #82289 30th Nov 2010 9:23 am
Lookers Park Royal

Thumbs Up

...... and very nice to meet you too! Wink

James Thumbs Up

Post #82299 30th Nov 2010 11:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>