« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > AFS - Adaptive Headlights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Done both Smile
Against the wall you can definitely tell the difference between the dance and the xenon gas. You will see the crossline ____/ ____/ of the xenonlight move from one side to the other. FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #80701 15th Nov 2010 9:00 am
athelstan

Thanks redlabel.
Done the test again this morning - NO TWITCH / ORIENTATION. Headlight locked in position just as the AFS warning light states in the Owner's Handbook.

Post #80705 15th Nov 2010 10:32 am
athelstan

Dave
This morning I looked for that "Internal Lever" you mentioned in your previous post that was - quote: "stuck".

The only lever you can see on the FL2 units is the black plastic external lever to move them from lhd to rhd vis a vis when driving on left or right of road. That lever has never been touched as her ladyship's FL2 has of now never been to Blighty. Other than that you cannot see into the innards of the unit as they are encased in black plastic.

I'm not going to remove the headlight units and try and gain access inside them as I never tinker with things I don't have any experience of, or, understand. Plus if I interfered with them beyond the parameters of normal Owner usage I'd be in danger of invalidating the LR warranty.

Having checked the all the AFS fuses, checked now many times for orientation, driven the FL2 at night and not discerned any hint of adaptability I believe it is time for the Swiss LR garage to do the decent thing and acknowledged they have not fixed them and put them right (plus the other issues they failed to do) before I leave for the UK on this coming Friday. They still have not had the decency to responded to my request to do so.

Post #80707 15th Nov 2010 10:48 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

No probs Athelstan, obviously the FL2 headlight construction is different from the D3 but worth a try anyway. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #80734 15th Nov 2010 2:17 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

For info AFS also locks in the ahead position if the DRL light mode is active (as well as when reverse gear is selected).
On FLs with AFS, the AFS module also controls the headlight levelling, so it's quite possible that levelling also not working in your car, another reason for you to press the dealer for a speedy solution before you'r UK trip. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #80789 15th Nov 2010 9:37 pm
athelstan

Udash wrote:
For info AFS also locks in the ahead position if the DRL light mode is active (as well as when reverse gear is selected).
On FLs with AFS, the AFS module also controls the headlight levelling, so it's quite possible that levelling also not working in your car, another reason for you to press the dealer for a speedy solution before you'r UK trip.

Udash
Thanks for your input - appreciated.

Re reversing - yes I understood that was the case - no problem as when I or she reverses we have the good sense to look to the rear of the FL2.

Leveling is not working - we've been flashed a few times at night since last Thursday by on coming traffic - never had that happen in the past.

DRL - by that I'm reading the "side lights"? If so, then these are on as you turn the light switch dial through side lights to get to headlights and our side lights stay on. If you're not referring to side lights then what do you mean by "DRL".

Finally - still no response from the Swiss Dealer. Her Ladyship said last night that if any of our Swiss LR Dealer team comes in needing surgery at her hospital this week she'll use her bluntest scalpel!

Post #80820 16th Nov 2010 8:31 am
Udash

athelstan
Sounds like you haven't got the DRL config. When DRL enabled, head lights come on as soon as you start regardless of the lighting condition, when it gets darker AFS will work as in normal head lights.
As you confirmed that leveling is also not working maybe the dealer simply disconneted or disabled the AFS ECU just to get rid of the AFS warning light. Question Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #80829 16th Nov 2010 10:17 am
athelstan

Udash wrote:
athelstan
Sounds like you haven't got the DRL config. When DRL enabled, head lights come on as soon as you start regardless of the lighting condition, when it gets darker AFS will work as in normal head lights.
As you confirmed that leveling is also not working maybe the dealer simply disconneted or disabled the AFS ECU just to get rid of the AFS warning light. Question

Udash
Thanks for your perseverance and responses in this - appreciated.

Just been outside (been snowing for the last 10hrs) and here's what we have on the FL2's lights when moving light switch through its 4 positions - P1 Off - P2 Side Lamps On - P3 Headlamp Dipped Beam On - P4 Auto Lamps On:
1: Ignition Off - P1 nothing, P2 on, P3 off, P4 off
2: Ignition On & Engine Off - P1 nothing, P2 on, P3 on plus SL, P4 on HDB plus SL
3: Ignition On & Engine Running - P1 nothing, P2 on, P3 on plus SL, P4 on HDB plus SL

Daylight Running Lamps aka Side Lamps as you can see, are on in P3 & P4 whenever the ignition is on, and also when engine running. However when the ignition is off the headlamps are always off despite the lighting switch dial being in P3 or P4.

The Owner's Manual states that if DRL aka Side Lamps are on, then AFS is deactivated. Which does appear by all test results to date demonstrate that her ladyship's AFS system configuration has a fault or has been inadvertently disabled.

Your thoughts?

Post #80832 16th Nov 2010 11:31 am
Udash

I don't think its the DRL, as you say when you set it to Auto AFS should work. I had a look at the AFS wiring diagram, from what I can see motors in the haed light assembly don't provide a feedback to the ECU so it could be even a disconnected plug (at the ECU end, not at the headlight end). Wiring diagram don't show actual physical connector setup but from picture of the ECU it seems to have two connectors, one for connecting with CAN bus and other connector with wires going out to both head light motors. See the pic, AFS ECU is No 6. maybe you can just have a look.

Click image to enlarge
 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #80838 16th Nov 2010 12:00 pm
athelstan

Udash
I've had a good look at the connectors and as far as my untrained "sparky's" eye can determine I have not discovered any loose or unattached connectors around ECU.

Oh well - this really needs a trained LR experienced professional to take a hands-on close inspection and tell me either a) I'm the village idiot and I've not been looking correctly, or, b) there is a fault and it is xyz and we've fixed it - happy night time motoring........

Cannot see what else I can do now.

Post #80859 16th Nov 2010 3:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Is this of use to you

&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Another NP video Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #80872 16th Nov 2010 6:05 pm
athelstan

Mr Pinks
I note from the video that firstly your DRL aka Side Lights come on first and then you see the headlights illuminate.

The question is are your DRL (Side Lights) on when your AFS is functioning, or, are they off when your AFS is functioning Question

-o0o-

The very same question to anyone who has fully functional adaptive headlights on their FL2 - DRL aka Side Lights on or off when your adaptive headlights are on Question

Post #80881 16th Nov 2010 8:08 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

As far as I know the side lights are on every time the lights come on

Another thing I have found is they'll only move left to right as they should when the car is moving

I found from a distance driving towards a wall, slowly, moving the steering quick'ish wheel left and right makes the light move left or right, doesn't work if driving too slowly though Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #80882 16th Nov 2010 8:35 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

In the photo below, I had the lights set to on and you can just make out the xenons are on aswell as the side lights

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #80883 16th Nov 2010 8:38 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

You've got ya bloody fog lights on and it's NOT foggy Banging Head Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #80889 16th Nov 2010 9:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>