Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > PTC Heater Recall (P014)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Sanderling

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black
PTC Heater Recall (P014)

Interested to hear from those that have had this done. Just how effective is it ? Do you get warm air quickly ?

It has been done on my car but as far as I can tell the car still takes ages to warm up the cabin but not sure what to expect as the recall was done before I purchased the car in late December.

Post #34267 9th Jan 2009 12:37 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Warm air starts to come through on mine in about 30 seconds or so. You have to press the PROG button on the dash to turn it on. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #34268 9th Jan 2009 1:01 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I didn't think the parts were available till the end of December.

Could it be that they've completed the recall, which was to remove the fuse, but haven't completed the work to replace the heater?

As Dave said, I also get heat within about 30 seconds, but I also press the Prog button, not sure if it makes a difference, but I press it anyway (this is the front window clearing button, but not the heated front window button).

Rich

Post #34269 9th Jan 2009 1:23 pm
Dave

Pressing the PROG button turns on the PTC heater and also the defrost function for the rear window. If Sanderling has recently bought his from a dealer then the PTC heater has already been fixed. As it was a safety recall then no vehicles can be sold until the fault is corrected, but worth checking with the dealer incase it slipped through the net. ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #34270 9th Jan 2009 1:31 pm
Sanderling

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

As Dave says the dealer did the recall before it was delivered to me as was rquired by LR on all cars delivered to retail customers after 10 December. Mine was one of the first my dealer did. I always like being the guinea pig Rolling Eyes

I need to read the manual I think. Doesnt the prog botton also turn on the front screen heater element ?

Post #34271 9th Jan 2009 1:36 pm
Dave

Sanderling wrote:
As Dave says the dealer did the recall before it was delivered to me as was rquired by LR on all cars delivered to retail customers after 10 December. Mine was one of the first my dealer did. I always like being the guinea pig Rolling Eyes

I need to read the manual I think. Doesnt the prog botton also turn on the front screen heater element ?[/

Not sure, I haven't got a heated front screen so can't answer that but I'm sure someone on here will, thats the kind of people we are on here Thumbs Up ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #34274 9th Jan 2009 2:04 pm
flyboyben

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Aye, it also turns on the front windscreen heater too. This mornings frost was gone in a minute Thumbs Up TD4, HSE, Santorini Black, SS side protection tubes, clear side repeaters, chrome wing mirror covers

Post #34275 9th Jan 2009 2:11 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Got a date for my new heater 9th Feb Neutral . At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #34294 9th Jan 2009 5:58 pm
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I had mine fitted yesterday along with the B pillar replacement.
I have to say that the heater seems pathetic...or may be it was just as bad before and I never noticed.
It was -5 C this morning. I switched on the PROG feature which sets warm air to the windscreen and puts on the heated windows. I cleared the car of ice and then got in to test the heater.

I switched off the PROG function and the heater was set to Auto. There was a gentle warm breeze coming out of the windscreen vent but nothing for the passenger! I then set it to manual direction straight out the dash vents and it was a pretty pathetic warm puff of an air flow. Even when I banged up the thermostat to max it made no attempt to push out any air. Rolling Eyes

Is that normal??? '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #34334 10th Jan 2009 11:31 am
scotster

I had mine fitted yesterday along with the B pillar replacement.
I have to say that the heater seems pathetic...or may be it was just as bad before and I never noticed.
It was -5 C this morning. I switched on the PROG feature which sets warm air to the windscreen and puts on the heated windows. I cleared the car of ice and then got in to test the heater.

I switched off the PROG function and the heater was set to Auto. There was a gentle warm breeze coming out of the windscreen vent but nothing for the passenger! I then set it to manual direction straight out the dash vents and it was a pretty pathetic warm puff of an air flow. Even when I banged up the thermostat to max it made no attempt to push out any air. Rolling Eyes

Is that normal??? '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #34335 10th Jan 2009 11:31 am
Dave

I just leave mine set to blow air at the windscreen to defrost it, but have also noticed that the engine water temp also rises quicker when using the PTC heater.....has anyone else noticed this Question ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #34349 10th Jan 2009 2:34 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The owners manual says that the PTC heater is fully automatic and requires no drivers action (same as the heating of outside mirrors).
So pressing the "Prog" button will not help.
But something else what I have noticed: after removing the PTC-heater fuse the Freely 2 TD4 heats as quickly and sufficient as before. I notice no difference at all!
After exchange of the PTC heater, the heating is fast but has not become better or quicker - besides temperatures of minus 18° C here in Germany at night.

YF

Post #34351 10th Jan 2009 3:53 pm
scotster

Hi.
I know that the PROG buton makes no difference.
I was just giving examples of use.
All Im worried about is how pathetic the output seems to be now...or was it terrible before?

With PROG off and if the ambient temperature is -4C and I set it the thermostat to 24C and set the controls to direct air out of the dash you would expect it to make some attempt at pushing a reasonable volume of warm air out.....but it was like the warm breath of a sleeping baby!!

Is that normal?? '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #34355 10th Jan 2009 5:22 pm
Dave

Thats funny, my owners manual says that the PROG button is the defrost function (PTC heater). You press the PROG button to turn it on or off, no mention at all of it being automatic.

Only the auxilliary heater and heated mirrors are automatic and require no driver intervention. ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #34356 10th Jan 2009 5:23 pm
scotster

I was told that the PTC heater is just an auxiliary electric heater to give you warm air whilst the diesel engine warms up .It wouldl be both for supplying hot air when the PROG is on and also you would imagine to keep the passengers warm.

Im getting it checked out as it s next to useless at the moment. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #34362 10th Jan 2009 6:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>