« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Roof Rails
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
erik

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey
thanks to Mountain man

after calling Mountain mans garage, my dealer all of a sudden managed to find some roof rails himself. How about that?? thanks Mountain man, my FL2 wears a crown right now!

Post #4374 6th Jul 2007 7:15 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Ordered rails from Nick at Yeoville land rover yesterday he sent me fiiting instructions by email I Fitted my rails this evening took less than 1 hour ,photos in my gallery I know car needs a wash but I thought someone might want to see some pics

Post #4375 6th Jul 2007 9:17 pm
Ttom

Belgium 

Very nice work ! Smile F R E E L A N D E R - I . SW . '99 . XED . Blenheim Silver

www.freelanderclub.be

Post #4377 6th Jul 2007 9:29 pm
samoiedo

Portugal 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

I have my roofrails now... It look fantastic...

And yes, they are compatible with the suntoof...

Post #4386 7th Jul 2007 10:53 am
ej

England 

NightFox wrote:
After a bit of research, I've come up with the following:

The roof rails are part no. LR006608, as previously mentioned. The original batch have now been purchased/accounted for, so there are no more currently available (unless you find a dealer with some). If a dealer trys to order some now, they will show on LR's parts system as "not yet available", rather than "out of stock". Apparently, this is a bit of manipulation by Caterpillar, LR's logistics contractor, as if they list it as "out of stock" it makes them look to LR like they're not managing stock levels very well, whereas if they list it as "not yet available" then it looks like it's not their fault. Rolling Eyes

Because of this, most dealers won't even know that any have been available yet, unless they happened to check their systems for the short period of time while they were available.

So bottom line, rails have been released, but are now out of stock.

There's also no book information for labour on fitting; my dealer has quoted me 1hr or less. As far as I know, the only dealer with any experience of fitting them to date is Conwy LR in Wales.

And I'm afraid that they are not compatible with the sunroof. Sad

Just need to correct your statement. The roof bars are defintely compatible with the sunroof versons of FL2. You need to question whoever told you that they were not!!

Post #4390 7th Jul 2007 4:34 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

I am also waiting for some rails and have been since January. I saw the Ebay posting so went off to my dealer last week and told him about it. He advised that LR have now come up with 2 part numbers, 1 for sunroof models (which mine is) and the other for non sunroofs. He still could not give a delivery date, which quite frankly is getting a pain in the neck as I want to use them for my summer holiday.

Post #4399 7th Jul 2007 8:05 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

John L wrote:
I am also waiting for some rails and have been since January. I saw the Ebay posting so went off to my dealer last week and told him about it. He advised that LR have now come up with 2 part numbers, 1 for sunroof models (which mine is) and the other for non sunroofs. He still could not give a delivery date, which quite frankly is getting a pain in the neck as I want to use them for my summer holiday.

My dealer has said the sunroof versions will be out, but no date yet, waffled on about them causing excessive wind noise, so are having to be redesigned.

Post #4400 7th Jul 2007 9:26 pm
Tandemman

Just been down the A1 at 70mph for 50 miles and no discernable wind noise over and above the usual. Given that the rails fit on the black plastic roof trims(see photos0 I can't see why they wouldn't fit the sunroof model

Post #4404 7th Jul 2007 10:35 pm
erik

roof rail noise

They are noisy! at 70 mph no prob, try 100 you will be stunned

Post #4405 7th Jul 2007 11:38 pm
Tandemman

I would be more concerned with the noise from the following police car at 100 and the pain of subsequent loss of licence.........

Post #4409 8th Jul 2007 7:07 am
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

ej wrote:
NightFox wrote:
After a bit of research, I've come up with the following:

The roof rails are part no. LR006608, as previously mentioned. The original batch have now been purchased/accounted for, so there are no more currently available (unless you find a dealer with some). If a dealer trys to order some now, they will show on LR's parts system as "not yet available", rather than "out of stock". Apparently, this is a bit of manipulation by Caterpillar, LR's logistics contractor, as if they list it as "out of stock" it makes them look to LR like they're not managing stock levels very well, whereas if they list it as "not yet available" then it looks like it's not their fault. Rolling Eyes

Because of this, most dealers won't even know that any have been available yet, unless they happened to check their systems for the short period of time while they were available.

So bottom line, rails have been released, but are now out of stock.

There's also no book information for labour on fitting; my dealer has quoted me 1hr or less. As far as I know, the only dealer with any experience of fitting them to date is Conwy LR in Wales.

And I'm afraid that they are not compatible with the sunroof. Sad

Just need to correct your statement. The roof bars are defintely compatible with the sunroof versons of FL2. You need to question whoever told you that they were not!!

It's still the offical Land Rover line - that these roof rails are not compatible with the sunroof. I've had 4 dealers confirm that to me, straight from LR's literature. Question Question Question

Post #4411 8th Jul 2007 12:17 pm
erik

Tandemman wrote:
I would be more concerned with the noise from the following police car at 100 and the pain of subsequent loss of licence.........

not when you drive on the Autobahn at least once a week as I do.... by the way noise starts at 60 with a soft whistle and slowly turns into a low key humming as I pick up more speed.

Post #4417 8th Jul 2007 2:39 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

I hadn't realised until I saw Tandemmans pictures that the the rails had a fixed cross brace to them. That probably explains the possible wind noise issue. I would have thought that they would have been strong enough on their own without the bracing, as that would be provided when the detachable roof bars are fitted, ie when you actually need to use them for something.

Post #4422 8th Jul 2007 5:58 pm
Tandemman

Actually it is the fixed crossbar that reduces the wind noise it is aerofoil in profile with 4 anti turbulance spoilers underneath. If you install it upside down(very easy to do) or if the mini spoilers underneath are missing then you get wind noise. you also get less rain on your rear screen when you have the rails on.

Post #4423 8th Jul 2007 7:11 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

Thats interesting, although having looked again at Lr's website, the roofrails shown only show the front-rear rails, I guess I will just have to carry on badgering the dealer. thanks for the info.

Post #4424 8th Jul 2007 8:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>