Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > HEADLIGHT DEFLECTORS HOW TO FIT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Past master

United Kingdom 

Just to update this, I used black Fablon cut to size on my latest trip. Because I have a roll of the stuff, I took plenty of spares. One patch had become partly detached after the first two days, so I replaced it. Both patches disappeared while parked in Italy, but may just have been peeled off by curious youth. Put two more on and they were fine all the way back to Calais through the snow, Difficult to tell whether there is any further crazing of the headlamp surface. I don't think it's any worse, and I aim to continue to use my roll in future. The pattern given above is effective, to the extent that I noticed the difference as soon as the patches were removed. There was no residue of glue on the lamp surface.
Btw, if you have the xenon lights, are you really supposed to remove the headlights in the freezing dark at Calais in order to reset them to English mode???

Post #85902 30th Dec 2010 5:57 pm
dunroof

Er, Yes! Rolling Eyes

Post #97203 31st Mar 2011 8:03 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

On our old Bedford CA you simply pushed a lever on the back of the lights. No ned to remove them. Needless to say the dealer didn't know this (it's not just LR dealers) and actually fitted a new headlight in continental mode, then adjusted it right down to pass the MoT.

The crazing on my headlights from the plastic masking did not affect my MoT, so I'm not going to worry about it any longer.

Post #97211 31st Mar 2011 8:37 pm
mickyp8616

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Narvik Black
Head Light Deflectors

If you remove the head lights they have a lever inside to switch to use in europe

Post #102393 17th May 2011 4:57 pm
ad210358

England 

The Lever as I understand it is only on the Xenons Question The standard headlights it is the Blue Peter way.

Post #102397 17th May 2011 5:57 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

That's correct. Only on the Xenons AND you have to remove the headlights to get to it (fun for all on a dark and windswept quayside). The owners manual ONLY gives the info for the Xenons, which I think is where we started out...
Sorry it was a Bedford CF, not CA (previous post). I think the Renault 4 also had little leavers on the back of the lights.

Post #102414 17th May 2011 9:25 pm
ad210358

England 

Bedford CF (Complete Failure) thats going back a bit hated them especially the twin rear wheel version foot brake was either all on or all off Evil or Very Mad Also had the the four speed gearbox that was fitted to the small TK's

Post #102416 17th May 2011 9:31 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

CF? Now ours was a petrol auto and I quite liked it. You could put your left foot up on the engine cover and leave it there all the way through London. First auto I ever drove. And I really liked the flat steering wheel and upright driving position. Mind you servicing the engine was a nightmare (even getting at the plugs!) and the auto box never worked properly. Hmm. See what you mean.
Now where were we? Oh yes, Freelander headlights...

Post #102442 18th May 2011 8:50 am
garyd

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

After years of using electrical tape on my old Toyota car when driving abroad and after reading a lot about it leaving marks on the FL2 headlamp I decided to buy some proper deflectors this year for our ten day trip to Germany.

i took a look on the web and in the end i decided to go for the Streetwize Beam Bender
from peeBay....

all I can say is they are fantastic little bender!! they were very easy to fit, turn lights on for five minutes to warm up the lamps, they also give a little paper template to find centre but didn't need it as there is a little round index mark visible on the light unit so you just stick Beam Bender central over this mark on each lamp.

We drove just over 1500 miles in all weather conditions night and day with top speed of 115 mph, wind, rain and hot hot sunshine they stuck like well you know on a wall.

All I can say is for a fiver and ease of fitting I give these top marks Yes, five stars.

i will put some pictures up of our trip in my gallery soon

i hope this helps

Post #116203 8th Oct 2011 4:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PR

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Any updates on this as we are away over the oggin soon? 1998 300TDi Auto Disco, never to be forgotten.
2008 Auto TD4 Freelander2, now gone?
2013 Auto SD4 Freelander!
A proud member of Landytown.com
Visit our blog at
http://paullizlifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com/ updated October 2017

Post #141810 3rd May 2012 8:31 pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 

Well, I thought I'd do the right thing, not wanting to mess up the lenses and having reasonably deep pockets, so could afford to splash out on the 'proper' bits and bobs. Went to the dealers (Harwoods) and asked them to sort out some beam benders which wouldn't make a mess of the lenses and the 'proper' LR bulb kit. I was expecting to be touched for £100+ and a nice cup of coffee. Not a bit of it. The parts man gave me a roll of insulating tape and a sheet of paper which showed the size of the pattern I'd need to cut from the tape. Bulbs were paid for (about £50 from memory), the tape and pattern were gratis. So don't buy beam benders, a bit of 25mm balck insulating tape, cut into a rhomboid shape does the trick. No messy residue either - a quick spray with glass cleaner and good as new.

Post #183709 12th May 2013 1:14 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Just be careful what tape you use. Mine DID leave a mark.
The FABLON seems fine though, and I have enough left to cover my lifetime, I think.

Post #183749 12th May 2013 4:11 pm
StuckInTheMud

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

I use the Halfords ones as well - spent the whole of July in Europe and no probs with the beam deflectors from Halfords!
Removed them with a power wash so no residue left on the lense.
I always buy a set in the winter for the following summer!

I fit them in the garage in Belgium after disembarking from the ship - usually fill up at the same time as diesel is cheaper than UK.

CAUTION - do not use this garage when it is closed, I have been warned about this before. Actually saw it for myself, as two chaps in a Romanian car appeared to be doing something to the pay by card device (garage was closed I did not realise this initially) so decided that it was cheaper to purchase the fuel in Uk if you know what I mean.

Was in a rush to get to the ship so did not have the time to contact police besides I doubt they would be interested to be honest, they are more interested in stopping UK drivers for speeding!

Sorry for adding some of the above to the OP! 'There is thunder' then 'There is the warble of a V8'

SD4 HSE Fuji White (my car): sidesteps, door protection
Golf 2.0 tdi White (wife's car)
Triumph Stag (my 1975 V8 toy - 37,600 miles... Just started its 2nd restoration... had it since 1986)

Tiguan Summit (gone, but nice car)
Porsche Boxster (gone, it was too fast)
SLK (gone, did not like it - lost loads £s)
Discovery Cairngorm (gone,very tractor like)
+ loads of other cars

Post #194642 12th Aug 2013 3:31 pm
Richard H

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Thanks Guys ... most helpful! Thumbs Up

Post #203446 17th Oct 2013 10:06 am
gravon 42

United Kingdom 2013 LR2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

Past master wrote:
New2LR wrote:
I've heard that there have been cases of black masking tape damaging the lamp (normal bulb not Xenon) Has anyone had a problem with the freelander?

I used black electrical tape last week, as the deflectors I had bought fell off. It has caused a definite crazing of the surface of the headlights, even after the glue residue was removed with meths. It won't affect the lighting, and it's barely visible, but I know it's there! If I had had time I'd have got a roll of sticky-back plastic, which may be better.

Found an article on here last year, showed measurments for sticking black tape
over headlights. I use black fablon (available from pound shop per roll) No
problem whatever. It stayed on amd came off at the end of trip. 2013 Dynamic Santorini black
2011 XS Lago grey
2007 HLS Stornoway grey
sometimes towing an Elldis AVANTE 574.

Post #214134 18th Jan 2014 10:13 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>