Home > Technical > Turbo issue? Or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jack09

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black
Turbo issue? Or not?

Hi,
Sorry in advance for the long winded post but going back and fro from dealer created a bit of a saga!
My freelander 2 went into restricted performance about 3 months ago. Took it back to dealers as we had only bought it from them just over a year before(not in warranty).
After 3 hours of investigating they said it was a small clip holding the actuator on the turbo which they replaced there and then.
Immediately after the repair we can now hear a faint whistling sound as we accelerate and as the revs drop.
Took it back to see whether they disturbed an air pipe. They said they hadn't touched anything apart from the actuator and that the noise was the hydraulic tensioning arm on the timing belt!
Slightly taken aback I took a second opinion from my local mechanic. He said that they were trying to baffle a customer with technical BS and discovered a jubilee clip still sitting on the engine cover that hadn't been replaced.
With this info went back and they replaced the clip and said that had now solved the noise issue.
It hadn't.
On my most recent visit I said I would sit with dealers mechanic in car so we could both listen.
He said within seconds that it is the impeller in the turbo and that without a fault code or failure they couldn't do anything. "So I am supposed to drive this around until it goes bang?"
I went back to my mechanic and he said the noise is completely normal for a turbo to make(siren) and there is a small amount of oil on inlet to turbo but that is also not unusual.
There is no smoke from exhaust, performance is slightly reduced since the restricted mode.
I will keep an eye on the oil levels but has anyone else experienced turbo problem on 2.2td4 ?

Thanks in advance.

Post #238275 18th Oct 2014 11:16 pm
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Do a search there have been several posts on the subject, from memory the remedy was to replace the grommet where the steering colum passes through the bulkhead.
This of course may not be the problem you have in which case I have wasted your time. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #238277 19th Oct 2014 12:25 am
milky400

I had this after my previous car went in for a clutch/fly wheel. I took it back and one of the service guys said it was the clutch pedal making the noise, which I assured him it wasn't, anyway they weren't having any of it and sent me away. After a week of it not I proving i simply took it back on a Monday morning and said they can keep it until thy have fixed it. Later that day that called to say all was sorted and that they didn't do anything. I cannot believe these dealerships lie to there customers rather than being hi eat and saying they don't know what wrong but will keep it until we have replaced everything it could be.... Guess if we were spending 100k on a vogue me may get better service.

Not very helpful I know but check the grommet mentioned above, could me that simple.

Post #238360 20th Oct 2014 8:22 am
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Hi,
If your car is MY08, it's not the grommet on the steering column.
That was a MY11 problem.
Please persevere getting to the answer. Try a different dealer or an independent.
Good luck. I hope you get sorted.

Post #239231 28th Oct 2014 12:22 am
gasteratos

Greece 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Lago Grey

Had the same problem one year ago. Suddenly on the highway the car had low performance and in full throtle i couldn't exceed 2000rpm in straight or 1500rpm in downhill. The dealer here in Greece decided to come where i was (1:30 hour from his location with no charge) at 21:30 to check it. He found reduced performence of the turbo, then he erased the message from his laptop and ask me to do some test and call him. I drove for 20km and it happened again. The next day i send the car to the dealers repair shop. He found that the turbo was extremely dirty (180000km at the time). He disassemply the turbo, cleaned it very well and and after general check he gave me the car (charge 170euros).
Since then (205000km now) everuthing is OK and the performance is better. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE 2.2 (2007) Auto
Freelander 1 SE 1.8 (2006) Manual
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdZD-npyKfs

Post #239236 28th Oct 2014 2:20 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1