« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Blocked crank case ventilation - engine breakdown
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
alex_pescaru

Re: Blocked crank case ventilation - engine breakdown

Wintermute wrote:
The same thing happened to me back in my Audi A4 2.0 TDI. They solved it with a software update (recall) to disable the crankshaft ventilation. After they disabled, the car would put out some dark fumes accelerating uphill, and consumed a fair bit of oil (up to 1 L / 2000 km).

The VAG 2.0TDI engine doesn't have an electronic controlled PCV valve. Maybe you confuse it with the EGR valve which indeed is electronically controlled and its inhibit will indeed translate in an increased smoke on the exhaust.
As for the increased oil consumption, again, the 2.0TDI engine is well known. But to add 5 liters of oil between services is too much! Shocked Shocked Maybe that engine was not properly ran-in.

Post #61133 24th Feb 2010 3:46 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If you're still not getting anywhere after contacting Land Rover Direct, contact one of the big magazines...they have a nack of 'persuading' manufacturers to be fair to their customers, and not bully them. Who can blame them...they wouldn't want their beloved reputation tarnished by a major magazine slating them for bad customer service and poor design...

Just a thought Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #61137 24th Feb 2010 4:35 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

alex_pescaru wrote:
Wintermute wrote:
The same thing happened to me back in my Audi A4 2.0 TDI. They solved it with a software update (recall) to disable the crankshaft ventilation. After they disabled, the car would put out some dark fumes accelerating uphill, and consumed a fair bit of oil (up to 1 L / 2000 km).

The VAG 2.0TDI engine doesn't have an electronic controlled PCV valve. Maybe you confuse it with the EGR valve which indeed is electronically controlled and its inhibit will indeed translate in an increased smoke on the exhaust.
As for the increased oil consumption, again, the 2.0TDI engine is well known. But to add 5 liters of oil between services is too much! Shocked Shocked Maybe that engine was not properly ran-in.

You might be right about the valves. I don't remember the details.

This consumtion I've listed was the tops. It would change between summer and winter. If it was hot, there was more consumption. After my complaints they made a test, and found that the consumption was aprox. 0,5 L / 1000 km, and showed me the users manual in my glovebox which says up to 1 L / 1000 km were normal. Rolling Eyes

And about the run - in. Mr. Green As I bought the car asked whether run in was necessary. The answer was no run in needed, just avoid going over speeds like 180 km/h for half hour or longer. Rolling with laughter 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #61179 24th Feb 2010 9:17 pm
Berra

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

The car has now been at the garage at the LR dealer since Wednesday, but they have not given me any feedback on the extent of damage. They will send a request to Denmark when they have found out the extent of damage. Denmark will forward it to UK and a decision will be taken there. They have told me the whole process can take up to 1 month and I will not get a replacement car in the meantime Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad . I´ve also contacted the Norwegian Consumer Council and they say it´s obvious that LR have to repair the damage without me paying anything Very Happy

Post #61368 26th Feb 2010 11:05 am
athelstan

Berra
If I was you I'd contact LR UK HQ and ask to speak to Head of Customer Services (make a note of date/time/and person with whom you speak). Tell them that Norway/Denmark LR (give the UK HofCS the names of people who told you will have to wait 1 month for a reply.) Give UK full history of the event verbally and in writing (see below final comment)

Give UK LR 10 working days for them to give you feed back on their decision. Advise them that you have been in contact with the Norwegen Consumer Council, and, that if LR's response is negative the support of NCC and other interested bodies (Auto Magazines) will be enlisted to expedite your reasonable request for the repair to be covered by the LR warranty (quote the LR literature etc as FL2 "fit for purpose" to -40°C etc) and submit a request for an immediate courtesy car whilst your FL2 is in the garage.

Finally, back-up your telephone conversation immediately with a written resumé transcript of what was discussed to the contact at LR UK HQ.

Post #61380 26th Feb 2010 1:03 pm
Berra

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Today I managed to get past the lady at the switchboard at British Car Import Norway which is a subsidiary of the Danish British Car Import who is the agent/importer for Scandinavia. I spoke to the manager there and he was of a totally different opinion than his danish colleague. He has during the day turned upside down on this case and I just got a confirmation that this is a warranty issue Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . He also directly ordered a new turbo from Denmark and they will start with my car in Tromsø as soon as they got the part. All in all a very service minded and nice guy Very Happy So it looks like it will be a happy ending after all Thumbs Up

Thanks for all support here at the forum Thumbs Up especially to alex_pescaru who posted the link to the commercial. That video was a "bone crusher" Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #61389 26th Feb 2010 2:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Excellant Thumbs Up

Let's us know how they go with the repairs Smile Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #61396 26th Feb 2010 3:41 pm
Kaimaani

Finland 

[quote="Berra"]BE AWARE IF YOU DRIVE YOUR FREELANDER 2 IN TEMPERATURES REACHING 20-30C BELOW!!
On Saturday we were driving our LR2 (2007 TD4) when after 30 km the warning lamp for low oil pressure was lit. I pulled over as soon as possible (appr after 200m). I opened the bonnet and the whole engine room was covered in oil. It looked as if a volcano had erupted. I called road assistance and they took the car to the nearest garage. It turned out that the crank case ventilation had been blocked, it had frozen!. Then the pressure in the crank case had risen sharply and the dipstick had been blown out and the oil had shot out as a fountain. Today I called the nearest LR dealer (Tromsø 450km away) and after they had checked with the agent for scandinavia which is in Denmark they told me it was not covered by the warranty. The reason I was told was because the car had been used under [i]extreme conditions[/i] as the outdoor temperature was 28c below. I protested as 28 below not in anyway is extreme conditions in northern Finland, Sweden and Norway (probably not in Russia, Canada and the northern USA either). Also I pointed out that the owners manual does not mention anything about the car not suitable for driving in what is normal winter conditions where we live. I called the rep in Denmark but he didn´t listen to my arguments. NO WARRANTY!! Evil or Very Mad . After some calls forth and back with the LR dealer in Tromsø and the agent in Denmark I was told to let the local garage (not LR authorized) do the job. The local garage and the garage at the LR dealer agreed what should be done. The local garage made sure it was no more moisture in the crank case and ventilation, filled up with oil (4.5 litres!!) and washed down the engine room. The car started and appeared OK. No strange noise, running smoothly on idle. I picked up the car at the garage but after only 150m I realized something was not OK at all. The engine was very weak, it was more like 16 hp not 160 hp!. When I looked back I saw thick smoke coming out from the exhaust. I stopped immediately and called the garage. The guy came and told me it probably was because engine oil had been sucked through the engine and into the whole exhaust system. I´m also concerned that the very low oil level may have caused some serious damage to the engine. Anyhow I don´t dare to drive the car now and I will contact LR tomorrow. If they´re still stating that this not is covered by the warranty this can become extremely expensive for me. IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE DRIVING A LAND ROVER IN A PART OF THE WORLD WITH PROPER WINTER CONDITIONS - PLEASE LET THEM NOW!![/quote]

Greetings from Finland. I faced the same problem about two weeks ago. But one thing is different. I didn't got any red lights, so the damages might be easier. The bad thing is that the local dealer is still working with the car. They promised I can have the car within two weeks from now. Four weeks to fix. According to the service person the have lack of repair parts because after a very cold winter they have many cars with the same problem.
In Finland we are more lucky than you are. According to our consumer protection law this crank case ventilation problem is an error in the car so Land Rover need to fix my car free of charge.
The main reason why I drove the car to the service was that info panel blinked "tracktion fault" message all the time. And now the car is also waiting for a new Haldex module. The worst thing is that this happened 300 km after normal 72000 km service. What is the quality service services of LR?
The Haldex module was totally broken. And I informed them in written before the service that there might be a problem with the 4x4 system because my LR needed help of a tractor when driving in the snow. Only the right front wheel was rolling.

The other thing is the winter overall.
When the temperature is below -25 celcius Terrain Response system can't select new program. If you need to have another program you need to select new program and restart the car and the TR can remember the setting. This works only during wintertime, during warmer conditions I can select program normally.
The mechanism of outside mirrors are not working. You need to place mirrors in correct position manually.
The opener of back door does not work at all. You need to have both keys with you if you need to open backdoor without stopping the engine.

Post #66293 13th Apr 2010 2:40 pm
Alan Graham

Finland 

Kaimaani

I am beginning to think I have the same car as you.

You are right about the wing mirrors and back door.

I took mine into the dealers to have my Haldex changed yesterday (under warranty) and they noticed that I, too, have suffered from the crank case ventilation blocked problem.

The car is 3 years and 3 months old and has only been driven 29000km.

I had no indication and the car appears to drive normally, even in Ivalo and Rovaniemi (-31c) last weekend.

I did stop about a week before Christmas as I saw some smoke and thought a brake may have been binding - it was -20c or below that day - but it wasn't that and I forgot about it.

At the time I put it down to the fact that there was a lot of snow and maybe some had boiled off on the exhaust.

It was possibly when it happened.

I am now waiting to see what is going to happen - at least the garage have the parts but they will have to manually clean the exhaust system as they don't have those.

I am interested in your comment about the Finnish consumer law as I hope Landrover will cover this although the car is just out of warranty.

Post #88805 20th Jan 2011 1:55 pm
eleholm

Sweden 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Martinique Blue

Hej Berra,

Såg ditt inlägg om förhöjd vevhusventilation i landrover F2 TD4. Vi ahdde samma problem på vår freelander modell 2007, en vinterdag med -15 grader och blåst. Resultatet blev att motoroljan gick upp i kompresionsrummet och motorn varvade okontrolerat. Motorn stanade själv. Resultatet av detta blev en krokig vevstake och motorbyte efter 90000 km. Inte acceptabelt. Enligt verkstan Hedins i Jönköping, är detta en svaghet på Landrover. En del motortillverkare sätter på ett värmeelement föär att förhindra att filtret på vevhusventilationen fryser till "is". Detta finns inte på Freelander och man har heller inget service meddelande från Landrover om detta.

Post #92348 18th Feb 2011 6:59 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
i am sure there is some LR press blurb saying the says are tested to +50c and down to -40c somewhere

so you would think they would be fine

Also if your selling to colder climates then you would either state the working parmimetres of the car in the manual or at least have a leaflet inserted into the manual

either way LR should be dealing with this, so maybe you need to phone LR UK head office etc

Has anyone been driving in +50c and seen what happens at that end of the scale then? probably the radiator cap pops off Laughing I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #92487 19th Feb 2011 1:57 pm
alex_pescaru

Good news for all of you that have problems with this.
LR has officially acknowledged that there is a problem and released a SSM:

Title: SSM47917 - Freelander 2 Diesel Positive Crankcase Ventilation Frozen
Global reference: SSM47917
Navigation path: Bulletins → Special Service Messages → Engine
Publication date: 17-Feb-2011 18:42:20

Post #93240 25th Feb 2011 9:27 am
Hokstad

Norway 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Hello all from Norway.

I have a Freelander 2 TD4 2009MY. In the recent cold temperatures here in Norway I just experienced frozen crankhouse ventilation.
I am hoping to find the above mentioned service bulletin, but it has been deleted from Topix. Anyone here who can help?

I ordered this part thinking it may be the upgrade I need: LR032035.
However, installation of this part is not self explanatory, the hose in this kit is far to long to be routed the way I thought.
I have googled several hours, not getting anywhere closer to a solution. You folks are my last hope! Smile

Also pictures of the crankhouse ventilation in a 2012MY, or newer, might be of invaluable help as I think the upgraded part is mounted here.

Thank you Smile

Post #402669 14th Jan 2021 7:47 am
alex_pescaru

The hose length is set in order to accommodate all types of systems. Up to 2010 and post 2010.
For post 2010, the port for connecting crankcase gases is on the left side of the engine.
For pre 2010, the port for connecting crankcase gases is towards the air filter and the hose needs to be cut to fit.
See below.

Click image to enlarge

Post #402679 14th Jan 2021 11:40 am
Hokstad

Norway 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Wonderfull! You are truly my hero Smile

Since the outlet for the hose on the cover is not in the center, does it matter how I mount it? Outlet up/down/right/left? Do you have the service bulletin?

Thank you!!!

Post #402686 14th Jan 2021 12:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>