« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Fuel Economy.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
Fuel Economy.

A previous post has in a way been hijacked because of this question so perhaps was better to start afresh.

My FL2 has just over 1200 miles on it since November the 28th. I have allways thaught the fuel economy was poor but the dealer has told me more than once that for the 1st 6 to 7000 mies while it is bedding in it will be poorer - funny I wasn't told that when considering the purchace Mad

However after reading some replies one of which from a member who also bought his FL2 in November I really do think there is an issue.
I drive all my cars gently/sedately or whatever you want to call it.
I do not have the aircon on with the climate control.
It is a manual vehicle.
I do do fairly short journeys though.
But under 27MPG seems poor to me. I have only ever reset the average fuel comsumption trip once & that was weeks ago so the figure should in theory be a true reading of long term.

I have also noticed but the dealer couldn't see anything wrong that often when you are accelerating through the gears, just as you change from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd & so on quite literaly just as you engage gear & place your foot back on the accelerator the vehicle pulls back as though something has pulled you or the fuel has been cut for a split second & it is quite noticeable jerking the vehicle if you understand my terminology!! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #57920 3rd Feb 2010 12:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
FR2471

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Hi I think it is deffinately poor as I said before with careful driving, mostly around town with work etc I get 23 mpg on my petrol with up to mid 30's on long motorway trips. Of course this is auto too and I never switch over to semi manual to play as I am too lazy for that Embarassed

I would expect the diseasel to be well into the 30's Shocked

Post #57923 3rd Feb 2010 12:38 am
The Valeter

What do I do if the dealer says it is normal? It's costing me a fortune. My son says blimey Dad your'e allways going in for fuel.
I had for nearly 3 years a new MG ZT260SE-V8 & that did 21MPG around town & I got 32MPG on a drive from Coventry back here to Gillingham.The weight of that car with the Mustang engine can't have been a huge amount less than a Freelander I would think. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #57925 3rd Feb 2010 12:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
FR2471

I forgot to say I leave my air con on auto also all of time so I really am not good with worrying about ecconomy, well who would be with a 3.2l 4x4 Laughing
My old 2.2SE Freelander manual was always around or in the 30's so i guess it is time for a 2.2 auto driver to confirm their fuel useage.

I would ask the Dealer about Land Rovers figures for the car as they are no where near as bad as this for the 2.2 or call Customer assistance for their advice. Whistle

Post #57928 3rd Feb 2010 12:52 am
Rowy

I've Never seen a Petrol FL2 in the flesh, what are the resale figures like?? I'm not really bothered about MPG and would consider one next, How do you rate it??

Post #57930 3rd Feb 2010 1:09 am
The Valeter

FR2471 wrote:

I would ask the Dealer about Land Rovers figures for the car as they are no where near as bad as this for the 2.2 or call Customer assistance for their advice. Whistle

I have just sent LandRover customer resolutions an email asking them. I added if it persists at this rate the dealer will be having the car dumped on the forcourt with the keys thrown through the door. One of the selling points for me was the fuel economy. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #57932 3rd Feb 2010 1:21 am
FR2471

Hi Rowy I have had both a 2.2 and also the 3.2 Freelander 2 and I have to say the petrol is a delight to drive compared to the diesel. I think from reading the forum the petrol seems to have less issues also apart from the normal reversing sensors etc. Rolling Eyes

My Dealer assured me that when I come to change the car they will give me as good a deal on the petrol as they would the diesel so I dont care about resale as it will be traded in and I also have a good barter with the dealer Wink

I guess the only down side is the 400 a year road tax but again whats 400 quid a year nowadays on a 30 plus thousand car really. The sounds from the engine are beautiful and its quick in town and also cruises on the motorway in perfect quiet.

And reading this I am not too bothered that I am using any more fuel than the 2.2 auto's as they seem very similar in fact.

I bought the car one owner (Land Rover) so most of the de-valuation had already been lost so I am a happy bunny and of course the petrol HSE came with every extra under the sun as standard at the time. I just want some side rubbibg strips if they are cheap anywhere Question

Get one and enjoy Censored what anyone else thinks .. I do lol Thumbs Up

Post #57933 3rd Feb 2010 1:27 am
Rowy

EV
Thats if they'll have it back now you've ruined it Laughing

FR2471
I'm Gonna get myself a test drive-if I can find one, I only get 25/26 from my Diesel so I'll see what my driving style returns in a 3.2.

Post #57935 3rd Feb 2010 1:33 am
FR2471

As I said the worst I get commuting to work is 22.1 mpg on the dash with air con on, heated seats on and winterpack buttons all on and a heavy right foot to Censored all the Corsa C Censored cks off lol

Post #57936 3rd Feb 2010 1:37 am
Rowy

Laughing

Post #57937 3rd Feb 2010 1:40 am
alex_pescaru

Re: Fuel Economy.

Executive Valeter wrote:
I drive all my cars gently/sedately or whatever you want to call it.

A turbo diesel engine, to be fuel efficient and have a proper fuel ecconomy, must be driven on boost.
Not gently.
Lets remember that the diesel engine is an engine who works based on detonation (thing that on a gasoline engine is bad) so the greater the pressure inside cylinders (greater temperature), the greater is the efficaciousness. Greater pressure inside cylinders is generated by a heavy foot.
But remember - on boost - which means to keep the engine around the point of max. torque - 1800-2000 RPM.
So, after engine is warm, relatively heavy foot until 2500RPM, change gear up, heavy foot up 2500RPM again, change... etc. When your reach your designated road speed, easy up on the gas just to keep the car at that speed.
This is the way I drive my car, which instead in automatic (so much bad fuel ecconomy), my average speed (on trip computer) being around 15-16 miles per hour (generally town driving) and my MPG is around 27-28.
Still, short journeys means that engine is relatively cold each time, which lower the efficaciousness, so bad fuel consumption.

Post #57948 3rd Feb 2010 9:28 am
Rich1647

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Executive Valeter.
That fuel consumption does seem excessive.My GS manual returned mid 30 s right from new on a combination of driving and I get far better on long runs,providing I stay below or around the legal limit.
Good point about that lurching between gear changes,particularly if you are trying to make a bit of rapid progress.Mine has done that since new and appears to be a bit of a characteristic of many modern vehicles i've driven.
If,and I mean if,I trade in for another at end of year will price up the auto again.It was £1500 dearer when I bought mine and didn't fancy paying the extra plus the extra fuel.
Suppose if I'd known that the clutch would start slipping after 20k(see my other posts) I may have had second thoughts about buying either. 2007 GS Manual

Post #57950 3rd Feb 2010 9:44 am
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'm hardly a good case as I haven't even filled it yet, but the OBC is showing 32.2mpg with a mixture of driving. I have downloaded an app for the phone that will let me keep tabs on it and I'll look at the consumption over the next 3-4 weeks. Under 30 in a manual sounds poor. I asked the dealer what the real world consumption was and they said to expect 30-33 from the Auto. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #57952 3rd Feb 2010 10:07 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

maybe a stuck EGR valve? Stuck open will reduce MPG i was told

22.5mpg i get in my auto, with aircon on so don't worry too much Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #57956 3rd Feb 2010 10:33 am
pcheaven

United Kingdom 
hummm

Well, when I 'popped' over from tunbrodge wells to collect the headrests from you.
In the rush hour, etc etc. I averaged 36mpg.
Mines is a manual................

If I was getting sub 30mpg in a manual I would take it back and buy a landrover Very Happy Laughing 

Post #57961 3rd Feb 2010 12:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>