« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > A creative way to change the head unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Carlo.d

Italy 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Stornoway Grey
A creative way to change the head unit

I am not happy with the rather basic audio system on my my 2012 FL2. I enclose a photo for your reference.
I would like to have a modern head unit with mirror link, bluetooth, dab and so on.

Regretfully, as far as I understand, if I swap the original hu with a 2 din new one, I will loose the parking sensors, unless I add some misterious and expensive box .
Now I am reasoning about a way to solve this problem. Let say that I leave the original hu as it is and I connect it to two small speakers to be located under the speaker grill on the dashboard.
Then I install a 2 din of a reliable brand, say Sony or Pioneer or whatever and I connect I directly to the door speakers.
In this way the original hu will be shut off forever and will be just useful for the parking sensors and the clock.
Obviously this a quite hard work, involving reroute of a lot of cables and need to modify the facia where the small square glove box is. The good side is that I don't have to buy a Chinese hu of doubtful quality.
Would like to know the opinion of some technically experienced members, if they think that this mod is feasible.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Post #435623 11th Sep 2023 9:09 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

If you keep the original head unit where are you going to fit the new 2din until? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #435624 11th Sep 2023 9:30 am
3landertwo

read this thread.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic30709.ht...;start=209

Last edited by 3landertwo on 11th Sep 2023 1:05 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #435626 11th Sep 2023 11:03 am
Carlo.d

Bobupndown wrote:
If you keep the original head unit where are you going to fit the new 2din until?

My idea Is ti open up the space queste the glove box Is, so that i can obtain a 2 din hole.

Post #435627 11th Sep 2023 11:19 am
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

I thought about locating a head unit there as well, but there isn't a lot of room behind that fascia. It is also the pathway for the two aircon vents.

I'm sure it could be done, anything is possible given time and money.

However an updated head unit will also have provision for a rear camera which works much better than the parking sensors.

The optic cable is a problem, but it can be done. So as the original head unit location is built for 2DIN, make the most of it. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #435634 11th Sep 2023 12:56 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Not only will you lose parking sensors but you will also lose the sub in the boot. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #435636 11th Sep 2023 1:01 pm
Carlo.d

I have a look at the thread suggested above, but my suspicions are partly confirmed: many users are complaning about the poor quality of the chinese stuff.
I don't know. Will rethink the whole matter and see if there Is a simpler solution.

Post #435638 11th Sep 2023 2:54 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

The simple solution is a micro BT unit which plugs into the AUX port and a USB power adapter adjacent to the AUX port.
No messing about with the factory unit, no loss of power amp or sub, no loss of parking sensors or clock on the dash. I don't believe there's a need for a reverse camera on this or any other vehicle.

I find this BT unit more than acceptable for every day use.

Click image to enlarge

For high quality, I use CDs recorded with high bit rate MP3s are more than adequate. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #435642 11th Sep 2023 5:42 pm
Carlo.d

Thanks for your message. At the end of the day, it's just a matter of personal taste. I can live without Bluetooth phone, but I'd like to have a large screen for gps navigation.

Post #435645 11th Sep 2023 8:08 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

So you just mount a tablet and run carplay, waze or whatever your mapping choice is! You can even add your music and play that out through Bluetooth to the media system.

Post #435647 11th Sep 2023 9:36 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

My solution for 7" GPS: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36057.html
Actually this is a better position for the GPS, the central screen is too low.

Another option for improving car sound: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html

While at it do TPMS:

& if you are not getting any satisfaction in other areas around the home so to speak (plenty of work to keep one distracted!):
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36713.html
(Dashcam around the car)

None of these improvements involves any difficult electrical challenges. Just tap into the fuse box.

I worked around the passenger fuse box after narrowing down the issue: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic34833.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #435648 12th Sep 2023 12:28 am
Carlo.d

BossBob wrote:
So you just mount a tablet and run carplay, waze or whatever your mapping choice is! You can even add your music and play that out through Bluetooth to the media system.

Not a bad idea. I Will thimk about It.

Post #435661 12th Sep 2023 10:29 pm
Carlo.d

Lightwater wrote:
My solution for 7" GPS: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36057.html
Actually this is a better position for the GPS, the central screen is too low.

Another option for improving car sound: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html

While at it do TPMS:

& if you are not getting any satisfaction in other areas around the home so to speak (plenty of work to keep one distracted!):
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36713.html
(Dashcam around the car)

None of these improvements involves any difficult electrical challenges. Just tap into the fuse box.

I worked around the passenger fuse box after narrowing down the issue: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic34833.html

I like the way you installed the GPS on the speaker grille.
By the way, did the device suffer from direct sun rays ? I put my smartphone in that position and It shut off automatically in order ti protect itself from overheating.

Post #435662 12th Sep 2023 10:35 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The GPS was originally on the windscreen with suction mount. Low down so it would not block the view. It would have got hotter there, & it was very hot when I put it away on hot summer days. Never had an issue with it from heat. They only have a very low resolution screen & slow frame rate, so won't generate heat like a phone.

Phones were never ment to be under the windscreen. Their CPU & display have difficulties dissipating heat at the best of times. Better to mount them in front of the air conditioning. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #435663 12th Sep 2023 11:24 pm
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

Nodge68 wrote:
The simple solution is a micro BT unit which plugs into the AUX port and a USB power adapter adjacent to the AUX port.
No messing about with the factory unit, no loss of power amp or sub, no loss of parking sensors or clock on the dash. I don't believe there's a need for a reverse camera on this or any other vehicle.

I find this BT unit more than acceptable for every day use.

Click image to enlarge

For high quality, I use CDs recorded with high bit rate MP3s are more than adequate.

What a great solution Nodge.. I have had a quick look and found a few available. What make / model is yours? Would prefer a recommendation than just buying blind. Thanks in advance. Richard

Post #435664 13th Sep 2023 7:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1