Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Pipes66

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Stereo,Bluetooth,cd,navigation all dead

Hi,
2008 HSE td4
I’ve got a fault where nothing touchscreen related is working. When I turn the ignition on the screen shows the Land Rover symbol then goes off. The lcd? screen below shows the clock permanently unless I press the on button when it will show “Land Rover 6CD” for a couple of seconds and go back to the clock. I can adjust the clock and fm settings using the right hand knob.
I tried disconnecting the battery, when I reconnected it the CD player started making a load of racket as if it was trying to eject a disc but then stopped, it only does this after reconnecting the battery. I inserted a cd into the player to test if there was a cd stuck in it, there wasn’t but there is now Big Cry
After searching the archives I bought a MOST loop, unplugged the Bluetooth module power and connected the MOST cable with the loop. That didn’t work so I tried the unit next to it but that didn’t work either. I haven’t got a DAB module so I moved to the front and dismantled the dash, disconnecting power from each component and connecting female MOST loop onto lead plug without success. I’ve checked the fuses and they’re all ok although I can’t locate the mysterious F29 behind the glovebox.
Tested the MOST for the sat nav unit under the seat, red light present, no difference.
I pulled the metal link in the boot fuse box for a few minutes and refitted it,no change.

Extra info that may be related:
*I recently bought the car so I’m not sure when things stopped working.
*Previous owner (PO) had to have the main ecu changed along with keys,speedo,fuse board in passenger footwell when the car developed a fault and wouldn’t start
*PO couldn’t remember if the stereo etc stopped working at that time.
*When I test drove the car the parking sensors didn’t work which PO thought was strange as they had been (May have been a salesman’s lie), not sure if it’s linked in any way.

I don’t want to start buying random modules/parts but I don’t know what else to do.

Last edited by Pipes66 on 13th Feb 2023 4:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #429992 13th Feb 2023 12:17 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Long shot but try taking the DVD out of the satnav player under drivers seat clean it and try again. Are you sure there isn’t a CD in the player ? If there is this sometimes works remove the relevant fuse in the boot for the disc player start the car while it’s running replace the fuse,it worked for me and a previously stuck CD ejected.

Post #429993 13th Feb 2023 12:27 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I have have corrosion on the fuse holder causing an open circuit. Also has a fuse that looked perfectly ok but under a magnifying glass (10x lupe) it was an open circuit.

Replace fuses as a starting point. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #429994 13th Feb 2023 12:39 pm
Pipes66

SYFL2 wrote:
Long shot but try taking the DVD out of the satnav player under drivers seat clean it and try again. Are you sure there isn’t a CD in the player ? If there is this sometimes works remove the relevant fuse in the boot for the disc player start the car while it’s running replace the fuse,it worked for me and a previously stuck CD ejected.

Yes,tried that also disconnected power to sat nav player and connected MOST loop to the lead, no difference though. Also ejected disc.
There wasn’t a cd in the player but there is now but it won’t eject.
I have discovered I can set the clock and alter fm settings using the right knob.

Post #429999 13th Feb 2023 2:52 pm
Pipes66

Good advice, I’ve tested the fuses and the holder looks immaculate.
I’m wondering if when the dashboard was changed the garage didn’t code it to/with everything else.

Post #430000 13th Feb 2023 2:54 pm
Ami

Israel 

I got the same problem in my freelander 2. Same model as yours. Did you fixed it? Can you please share with me the solution?

Post #430039 14th Feb 2023 9:33 am
Pipes66

Keep checking here, if I get an answer I’ll post it . 2008 HSE td4

Post #430044 14th Feb 2023 1:12 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Pipes66 wrote:
I’m wondering if when the dashboard was changed the garage didn’t code it to/with everything else.

If any part that's on the MOST ring has been replaced, then it needs to be added to the system, or it's not going to work. Each component has a number which must be in the register, or the device is ignored. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.

Post #430045 14th Feb 2023 1:35 pm
Pipes66

Is the dash on the MOST ring?
From what I’ve read other folk have changed dab,nav & bt modules without any registration or coding. I’m not saying you’re wrong though, have you had to change an item in the ring yourself? 2008 HSE td4

Post #430046 14th Feb 2023 1:43 pm
RocketStu

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Nodge68 wrote:
Pipes66 wrote:

If any part that's on the MOST ring has been replaced, then it needs to be added to the system, or it's not going to work. Each component has a number which must be in the register, or the device is ignored.

I replaced the Bluetooth module myself (the replacement was a used Jag one) and it didn't need registering.

Post #430053 14th Feb 2023 5:46 pm
Pipes66

That’s what I read several times Rocketstu. Thumbs Up 2008 HSE td4

Post #430061 14th Feb 2023 7:27 pm
grumsel

Netherlands 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Check https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...etwork.pdf

Follow the MOST network (a ring were each module transmit light to the next module) and check if you see light in the connectors. Each module should receive light from the previous module and transmit light to the next module in the ring. If you don't see light, bypass the previous module in the ring. If you then see light, the bridged module is probably broken. If you still don't see light the cable is probably broken. If the ring is broken all devices connected to the MOST network will stop working.

There is one module you cannot bypass and that is the timing master, a MOST network will not work without a properly working timing master. I assume the timing master is the front of the head unit. In the document they say the timing master is the "Information and Entertainment Control Module", later on the document they say it is the ICM ("Integrated control module").

The document describes a fault finding procedure, don't know if that works or not.

Post #430064 14th Feb 2023 7:50 pm
Pipes66

I assumed that’s the one with the on/off buttons and clock?
Arrow direction looks different to the numbers but I assumed if I disconnected the most plug from the cd 1st & see a red light and carry on round the ring I was doing it right. 2008 HSE td4

Post #430065 14th Feb 2023 8:05 pm
Ami

Israel 

Check the fuse FD9. It's the audio amplifier fuse. Should be 30 amp green.
I changed in my freelander and the system back.

Post #430072 14th Feb 2023 9:12 pm
grumsel

Netherlands 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

I think so. The arrows in the drawing are strange, looks like they are in the wrong direction or the numbers are in the wrong way. If the document is correct the front (with the buttons and display) is the timing master. And then the display of the satnav is the next (if you follow the arrows) or the radio/CD unit (if you follow the numbers). I don't know which direction is correct.

Bypass each unit 1 by 1 using a MOST shunt, you might find the unit causing the issue. Check if you see light coming out if the one side of the plug when you disconnect it. You should also see light coming out of the connector in the unit when the plug is disconnected.

Also make sure all MOST connectors are clean (no dust), put back correctly and as tight as possible. MOST transmits data using light, gaps or dust between the fiber and the sensors in the module (or bypass) can cause issues (light does not like to jump cross gaps). A bypass will weaken the signal, 1 bypass should probably work but multiple bypasses between 2 modules might cause issues. The MOST network is sensitive, for instance a bend in the MOST cable that is too tight will pull back the fiber a bit which will result in a bigger gap between the fiber and sensor which can already cause issues. That is probably why they mention a minimal bend radius in the document.

If all fails you could try to replace some of the modules, trick is to find which one. But I don't know if all modules can be replaced by second hand units, think some of the them need coding.

The document also mentions that the bluetooth module is special, it says that it contains 2 drivers and counts as 2 nodes. Maybe that is why so many people can solve issues by replacing (or bypassing) this unit?

I never diagnosed issues on the MOST network in cars so I'm afraid I can't help much more than this. I did develop SW for a system that also used a MOST network, that is why I still know a lot about it. I did hate it at the time because of the issues we had. Our system used optical cables that were hundreds of meters long and we had up to 64 nodes in the ring. We were going up to the limit what was possible with MOST, that did not make it better. At that time we made jokes that we would never buy a car that had MOST in it but I still did (found out it had a MOST network after I bought it).

Post #430074 14th Feb 2023 10:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>