« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 35 <123 45 ... 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Nodge68 wrote:

High power charge stations often have several MW of on site battery storage, so peak demands on the grid are smoothed out. These batteries are charged by cheap night rate electricity, and many have on site or nearby solar too.

It's solvable now, so by 2030 charging facilities should be everywhere.

I always thought that these on-site batteries were there because of the lack of grid capacity to the often rural sites of the high powered chargers, and there fore were kept as fully charged as possible to meet the peek periods of use.

I have read that this peek demand electric need is, in some cases, backed up by on-site diesel generators.

Anyway, until home charging becomes viable to on street parkers, and EVs become a bit more affordable, we will not see the full benefits of EVs emerge. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #423698 29th Jul 2022 3:42 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Again Saturdays Telegraph has done a piece on the longevity of batteries. Research has shown that high speed charging degrades the battery at a much higher rate than ordinary charging. Makes you wonder if the onset of high speed charging across the service station network will become a double edged sword.
Whatever, I'm sticking with ICE for the foreseeable future. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #423730 31st Jul 2022 11:40 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes, rapid charging once or twice every day (bare in mind that’ll be a vehicle doing 400-600 miles every day!) will degrade the batteries slightly more than rapid charging once or twice a week, but most people need only rapid charge on longer journeys and if your doing those you would buy a vehicle with a long range anyway. But even with rapid charging degradation it is still only a small amount compared to entire range, and as virtually every EV traction battery is covered with a 100K mile 8 year warranty for degradation obviously the manufacturers do not see it as a major issue, certainly in the EV forums it’s has not been an issue, the exception being the early Nissan Leaf which had temperature issues with rapid charging, but that just restricted the level of charge it could take.

If you believe every newspaper article you’d never go,out the house. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Last edited by Boxbrownie on 31st Jul 2022 12:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #423731 31st Jul 2022 11:59 am
Boxbrownie

Just read an article from the Telegraph on EVs while looking for the article you read (searching for your article) and it states this

“ It’s worth remembering, too, that with heavy use, up and down hills, in cold weather, and with no pre-conditioning, an EV’s range can drop by as much as half, though that is probably a worst-case scenario”

That is absolute B0LL0X…..admittedly here it only gets to around a steady 3 or 4 degrees in winter but we never precondition (apart from the interior heater/AC) it always gets used quickly, because that’s the fun bit, it is extremely hilly here and we always run with everything a normal car would have on, auto lights, auto wipers, heating or AC etc etc, our range in Summer is between 120-130 miles, in the Winter it is 100-110 miles…….where is the half drop off?

Absolute crap, if it was that bad the forums would be full of complaints and people saying they are going back to ICE.

I won’t even bother looking for the rapid charging article, I can guarantee that’ll be a star piece of journalism as well. Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #423732 31st Jul 2022 12:14 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Maybe someone has looked at his iPhone and seen that it now has the option to charge hard to 80% and then trickle charge after that - to preserve battery life.

Put 2 and 2 together and get 3, iPhones and EVs both use lithium batteries (different chemistry - but lets not let facts get in the way of a good scare story), so if iPhone batteries life can be shortened by rapid charging to 100% then so must all EV batteries.

Now that's what I call good journalism, tenuous link and a scare factor.

Or you could monitor battery use / degradation on a huge sample of cars by fitting SIM cards and collecting the data "anonymously" I know what I would do if I was a car manufacturer.

Don't get me wrong I am not going soft on EVs, wouldn't have one given me, but for many they are a sensible option. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #423735 31st Jul 2022 2:05 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Whooa , I only posted as an item of interest. If you have Saturdays Telegraph it's in the motoring section page 22 to be precise. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #423739 31st Jul 2022 2:56 pm
Boxbrownie

It’s happening again, comparing mobile phones batteries with EV batteries.

EVs have (virtually all, forget the LEAF) an extremely sophisticated BMS with liquid cooled and heated battery packs, I cannot remember the last time I had to top up my phone with water Whistle

Mind you, your not alone as even in the EV forums there is a strong belief that you should only charge to 80% and NEVER go below 20% for any length of time, what they fail to realise is the top and bottom buffers are already built into the battery packs and those can never be accessed anyway, they protect themselves.

But anyway, it’s raining here now. Regards

David

Post #423750 31st Jul 2022 6:10 pm
Boxbrownie

Andy131 wrote:
Maybe someone has looked at his iPhone and seen that it now has the option to charge hard to 80% and then trickle charge after that - to preserve battery life.

Put 2 and 2 together and get 3,

Now that's what I call good journalism, tenuous link and a scare factor.

Or you could monitor battery use / degradation on a huge sample of cars by fitting SIM cards and collecting the data "anonymously" I know what I would do if I was a car manufacturer.

Exactly so, as we said in the Press (long, long time ago) never let the facts stand in the way of a good story Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Post #423752 31st Jul 2022 6:13 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

There's loads of anti EV BS being spread about, the latest seems to be that tyres wear faster and pollute more, because EVs are heavier than an equivalent ICE vehicle, but has anyone bothered to check out just how heavy a modern ICE vehicle is?
Our Freelander 2s are over 1800kg, with an equivalent sized EV only a few % heavier, so most of this accelerated tyre wear is mostly rubbish, as many EV owners would confirm. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #423774 1st Aug 2022 9:51 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

It boils down to "I'm scared of new things so I'll cling on to anything negative said about them" Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #423776 1st Aug 2022 10:52 am
Boxbrownie

Nodge68 wrote:
There's loads of anti EV BS being spread about, the latest seems to be that tyres wear faster and pollute more, because EVs are heavier than an equivalent ICE vehicle, but has anyone bothered to check out just how heavy a modern ICE vehicle is?
Our Freelander 2s are over 1800kg, with an equivalent sized EV only a few % heavier, so most of this accelerated tyre wear is mostly rubbish, as many EV owners would confirm.

Our i3 is more or less the same weight as a Fiesta, the beauty of being made of aluminium and carbon fibre Thumbs Up Regards

David

Post #423777 1st Aug 2022 10:55 am
IanMetro

Infrastructure Opportunity?

When I read about the huge BP profits this morning I did wonder if we might miss this opportunity to start to solve our EV charging problem.

Instead of clawing back some of this money in a windfall tax where it will, most likely, be lost or wasted, why don't we encourage these big oil firms to invest in providing a proper national charging infrastructure. These could be large, well lit, facilities with comfortable rest areas and spaced around the country on, or near, main roads.

It could be a joint venture with government, like say, HS2, and the companies and the taxpayer could benefit from future revenues.

It is not unknown for governments to help in this way, I believe that development Hydrogen power is being encouraged by PM Johnson already via the Bamford (JCB) family which includes some sort of hydrogen distribution network.

I believe that until EV charging becomes as reliable and available as filling up with petrol lots of people will be reluctant to leap into the (EV) unknown.

From my short experience in a Jag I-Pace I have to admit I was impressed with the thought of EV driving. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #423804 2nd Aug 2022 9:35 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Just a comment about Evs and tyre wear. My brother in law works for a care home and they have a a few Renault Zoe EV vans for delivering meals on wheels and care etc in the local area. They have noticed that they get through tyres very quickly compared with the older ICE vans. This might be caused by the faster acceleration but it's the same driivers. He also said that the earlier ones had a range of only about 90 miles but that the newer ones are nearer 200. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #423805 2nd Aug 2022 10:03 am
Boxbrownie

Unfortunately a lot of EVs are fitted with "E" tyres from new which although have low rolling resistance because of their stiff construction (and very often they are manufactured with slightly less tread depth as that helps) they can wear (or appear to with less tread) at a greater rate than normal tyres, strange thing is I put normal Continental Ecocontact tyres on the i3 and the range decreased not one single mile! That may be just my style of driving Whistle or just luck, no idea but I do know they grip much better in the wet.

And I don't doubt the drivers of said vans are enjoying the immediate torque rather more than the slothful output before which doesn't help as you say.

If they drive anything like some of the carers around here they surely follow the Paddy Hopkirk (RIP) book of cornering. Rolling with laughter

Then again the Zoe is a bloated beast compared to its ICE counterpart. Regards

David

Post #423808 2nd Aug 2022 11:08 am
theglassman

A very interesting, if at times rather heated discussion on EV's. Thanks.

It seems to me (as a devoted diesel ICE driver) that EV's do have a few issues facing them as regards the 'great unwashed' AKA Joe Public:

Firstly is the easy availability of a sensible charging setup, both at home and en route.

Secondly is the high price of the present offerings - especially the attractive and/or practical ones.

Thirdly is the future availability of 'leccy'. With our current (sorry!) leaders and their 'policies' Rolling with laughter there won't be enough to supply a large and growing national fleet of EV's.

Fourthly - and the real elephant-in-the-room, the inevitability of the introduction of charging for road usage by the mile by our leaders needing to replace vehicle fuel duty - on which they are now completely hooked.

Just sayin'
Confused I've decided to stop being a good example and will now just be a terrible warning.....
2008 TD4HSE - gone but much loved.
2014MY SD4 Metropolis - very much loved.

Post #423813 2nd Aug 2022 6:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 35 <123 45 ... 333435>