Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 18 of 35 <123 ... 171819 ... 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
pinhead

Oh yes mpg of ICE cars is well and truly misrepresented aswell
Part of the problem with range figures for electric cars is there are so many different standards
NEDC
WLTP
EPA
they all give a different result on the same car
In order they are listed the first will be the most optimistic and the last the least optimistic and actually the epa isn't that bad
Like others have said lights and radio use naff all the cars computer system uses a lot more and that's on all the time
Heating does use a lot but once upto temperature it doesn't use much to maintain the heat in the cabin and in the battery (uk cold temperatures anyway)
My car has 4kw resistive heater for the cabin it warms up very quick but can eat a couple of % doing so after that it will drop down to maybe just 1kw or so to maintain the heat inside and in reality that's not much over say 2 or 3 hours of constant driving you may loose at most 10 miles of range from it and probably less
What kills range in winter is short trips where the battery and cabin keep cooling down in-between and need to heat up again

Now the other big range killer is the cold air and wet roads
Cold air is denser than warm air and it takes more to push the car through it and wet roads increase the drag on the tyres
Ice cars also suffer this but to a much lesser degree because they are already very inefficient its the efficiency of an BEV that makes them so vulnerable to range drops like this a typical BEV has about the same amount of enery stored in the battery as maybe 1 and a half gallons of fuel maybe 2 gallons in a big battery
To be able to travel as far as they do is because they waste non of it the simple drivetrain for example hs few moving parts so limits losses and energy recovery when slowing down and going down hills its all important

Post #428305 30th Dec 2022 12:48 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I think that all EVs & PHEVs should be sold with a heat pump to handle the heating and cooling loads of the passengers and battery. It should save about two thirds of the electrical power.

Also I note that the 2023 Formula E cars have motors/generators on the front wheels, they have chosen not to use them for power but will greatly increase the power regenerated on braking. I do wonder in the real world having motor/generators on both axles would make any real difference, a browse through the adverts seems to say opposite.

(Beware small rant next ---)
Just on a single driven axle most EVs are quick enough already. I had to visit central Bristol recently, and was caught out several times by the speed (and silence) with which the EVs can come out of side roads.
- and don't get me started on electric scooters and bikes, which mix with the pedestrians like silent assassins. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #428306 30th Dec 2022 2:26 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Anyone see the bit on the BBC this morning about EV charging? 3 hour queues to charge your batteries. Only 6000 public charging points for the whole country. They really are having a laugh. The suggestion was to get your copilot to use a real time app to plan your route based on availability and queue length.

Post #428320 31st Dec 2022 11:24 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Meanwhile the UK is home to 8,378 filling stations for ICE vehicles.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/312331...velopment.

These cater for 32,300,000 cars, plus vans, trucks, lorries etc.

If you assume 16 pumps per filling station, that's one pump for every 243 cars (based on 32.3m ICE passenger cars in the UK) less when you include vans and light trucks)

There are not "only 6000 public charging points". There are 36,752 public charging points in the UK.

https://www.zap-map.com/statistics/#points

There are 420,000 BEV cars in the UK, and 6712 Rapid and Ultra Rapid chargers in the UK. So one Rapid or Ultra Rapid every 62 cars. One public charger of any speed/type for every 11 BEV cars

The UK is also home to 18,000,000 homes with (or with the capability for) offroad parking for at least one vehicle, which in turn also allows for charging of a BEV. There are not 18m petrol stations in people's homes.

We don't often see it in the UK because historically we have had very few "everyone drive the length of the country on the same day as everyone else" days. But in France it is extremely common to see queues of an hour or more for fuel on motorways on the half-term changeovers and at the start and end of the summer holidays. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #428324 31st Dec 2022 12:07 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

How long does it take to charge the average family saloon style BEV using the uprated chargers ? Jules

Post #428333 31st Dec 2022 2:20 pm
NoDo$h

40mins for a full charge on a 150KW charger is about on the money.

However, and this is the bit everyone ignores, you will leave home with a full tank every single day. Now I don't know about you, but I can count the number of days each year when I drive more than 300 miles on both hands. I'm only ever going to need to charge away from home on holiday or on the odd business trip that's to an awkward place a little too close to fly and a bit too awkward for rail. And in such instances I would typically look to eat at a local restaurant that evening and use a town centre charger.

Changing habits isn't bad. It's just changing habits. Unfortunately headlines focus on the irrational fears of those for whom long-established habits are something they cling to as if it were the bobbing lid of the piano on the Titanic. Current driveway contents:

Post #428335 31st Dec 2022 2:32 pm
Wonderdust

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

"However, and this is the bit everyone ignores, you will leave home with a full tank every single day"

I beg to differ.

Post #428340 31st Dec 2022 4:41 pm
NoDo$h

If you don't have adequate home charging, don't buy a BEV.

You have 7 more years to buy a new ICE, probably 15 more to buy used ICE, or make other arrangements for home charging, or change how you travel if you live in a crowded city, where personal car ownership *will* cease as we know it in the next 10-15 years. Current driveway contents:

Post #428341 31st Dec 2022 4:49 pm
jules

Im sure we will see considerable changes over the next few years - there is a lot of uncertainty about the future on many fronts. Jules

Post #428348 31st Dec 2022 7:03 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

NoDo$h wrote:
40mins for a full charge on a 150KW charger is about on the money.

However, and this is the bit everyone ignores, you will leave home with a full tank every single day. Now I don't know about you, but I can count the number of days each year when I drive more than 300 miles on both hands. I'm only ever going to need to charge away from home on holiday or on the odd business trip that's to an awkward place a little too close to fly and a bit too awkward for rail. And in such instances I would typically look to eat at a local restaurant that evening and use a town centre charger.

Changing habits isn't bad. It's just changing habits. Unfortunately headlines focus on the irrational fears of those for whom long-established habits are something they cling to as if it were the bobbing lid of the piano on the Titanic.

But are you not just quoting the extreme best facts, just as the papers chose the extreme worst facts.

How much extra does it cost to use a very fast charger?

Aren't most in-town car park chargers are painfully slow.

Surely keeping your EV fully charged up 100% is very bad for your batteries life?

Are you sure that 40 mins is to 100%, most quote 20-80% when giving times as you can't rush the beginning and end phases of charging.

Most EVs would have difficulty in going 200 miles on a charge, and even then I would be very wary of using up the last 50 miles in case the next charger is broken or busy.

I must add I'm not a ludite, I have had my own home 32amp charger for some 6 years now, I just cannot make the costs justify the change to EV.

PS If anyone feels minded to GIVE me a Jag I-Pace, I might change my mind.

Happy New Year to all my readers. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #428350 31st Dec 2022 7:48 pm
NoDo$h

I was answering this specific question:

jules wrote:
How long does it take to charge the average family saloon style BEV using the uprated chargers ?
 Current driveway contents:

Post #428355 31st Dec 2022 8:13 pm
jules

What percentage of the 36752 are older "slow" chargers and how long do they take to complete a similar charge.

I quite like the idea of an BEV but running one would be awkward as I have currently have a need to drive 160 miles up north to a property, which takes about 3 hours but has taken 5 hours and sometimes I tow a trailer. Unfortunately it is a terrace with no on-site parking. There is communal parking for residents about 100m away, but no chargers. The nearest chargers, which include five 22kw are spread across the town; about 1 mile away.

How long would a 22Kw charger to charge for the trip home ?

There are two 7KW chargers at a nearby hotel but I imagine they are for guests only - how long would they take ? Jules

Post #428380 1st Jan 2023 12:44 pm
NoDo$h

Handy table below. You can pick other vehicles by visiting the page at https://pod-point.com/guides/vehicles

Click image to enlarge

For a specific example, select Hyundai Ioniq5 and scroll down to charging details.

Pod estimate that this would charge at a rate of 40 miles range for every hour of charging on a 22kW charger, 26 miles on 7kW, or 275 miles in 30 minutes at a 150kW charger.

Your use case includes towing. Just as there are no published figures for ICE consumption while towing, there are none for BEVs. It will hammer the range, however, as BEVs are not yet being built optimised for towing.

It's possible to come up with any number of edge cases to show why BEVs are not right for someone's needs. I have no idea how often you make that journey, nor for how long you expect to continue making that journey. If it's once every 8 - 10 weeks, would hiring a van make more sense? If every week then BEV is no good for your current use. Current driveway contents:

Post #428384 1st Jan 2023 1:05 pm
jules

Cheers - that's a useful guide.

It's clear to me that BEV are not for me at the moment. Leaving the car charging on the Tesco car park for 3 hours is not really on. Fingers crossed that there is a major improvement in battery technology in the next few years. Jules

Post #428385 1st Jan 2023 3:37 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

In another post asked:

For me i tow (i have 2 trailers which i use). I also choose to have a freelander as its great to drive, i maintain it, safe and does what it does well. Also, i like the sound of a ICE vehicle Thumbs Up

Can anyone point me to in depth posts about towing with EV and not just towing on the road.

So EVs are not built for towing??

I see a fair few Freelanders towing caravans (also a local builder tows his trailer for collecting supplies).
Is this rare for freelanders as on this forum no one really mentions it. So having a EV is probably ok for those of you who only use your FL2 to go to work in etc, or even a cheap fuel efficient car Very Happy

I tow a single horse box (with horse Wink ) and a 8 ft ifor when i collect wood to burn or take stuff to tip or collect hay from field so freelander good for this Thumbs Up

Post #428386 1st Jan 2023 6:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 18 of 35 <123 ... 171819 ... 333435>