Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 41 <123 ... 141516 ... 394041>
Print this entire topic · 
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

b0ch3n wrote:
IanMetro wrote:
It may be an overkill, but perhaps all cars should have Log Books containing all significant changes and maintenance. (and these days that would include changes to the electronics and software)

I see how this would end up: you are not authorized to change brake pads, etc. on your own car because someone has to put a signature in a Black Box -> you need to go to a dealer with every little job to do -> there is no economical sense to keep a car after the warranty has ended -> you only 'borrow' a car from a dealer -> the car is basically no longer yours -> you own nothing (and be happy)... This is not something that would happen on a day 1, but please let's avoid such ideas Rolling Eyes

I hate to say it but that is already happening. You can’t reset the mileage for an oil service on a new Evoque, for that matter, although you can access the obd2 port with a normal device you need a Pathfinder (JLR’s new software) device to do ANY resets.

Post #426072 20th Oct 2022 4:40 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Its going to be necessary as far as the manufacturers are concerned. They need us to buy new cars, which is bad from an environmental point of view, so they need to find a way to get cars scrapped even before they've worn out.
Answer is make them too expensive to run as an older vehicle. Jules

Post #426079 20th Oct 2022 6:47 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

b0ch3n wrote:
IanMetro wrote:
It may be an overkill, but perhaps all cars should have Log Books containing all significant changes and maintenance. (and these days that would include changes to the electronics and software)

I see how this would end up: you are not authorized to change brake pads, etc. on your own car because someone has to put a signature in a Black Box -> you need to go to a dealer with every little job to do -> there is no economical sense to keep a car after the warranty has ended -> you only 'borrow' a car from a dealer -> the car is basically no longer yours -> you own nothing (and be happy)... This is not something that would happen on a day 1, but please let's avoid such ideas Rolling Eyes

I dunno about your situation but legislation is already in place that software etc to service and repair vehicles must be made available to ALL repairers and mechanics.
I think this thread has been a bit hijacked.
I was selling new Fords in 1983 when EFI was introduced to Ford Australia cars. The dealers were overjoyed, thinking that cars would have to come back for services. The euphoria didn't last long.
EVs wil require change and adjustment to our thinking, as has every technological transition. Just relax, take it slow and enjoy it. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #426094 21st Oct 2022 1:22 pm
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Oh, they make it available.

That will be £15000 for the software please, renewable annually. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #426095 21st Oct 2022 1:24 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Two things about EVs I discovered thanks to reading this week's Autocar Magazine -

1) Touch screen controls are getting ridiculous
It seems that page 94 of the Cadillac Lyriq EV SUV reads
"To open glovebox, the vehicle must be stationary.
Go to the infotainment home screen
Tap Virtual Controls > Glove Box Release.
To Close, push the glovebox up until it latches."

It seems that it is to do with ensuring the security of items stored in the glovebox.

2) Replacing some EV Drive Batteries can be expensive
For an early Range Rover Sport Hybrid, the quoted price (inc parts, labour, and VAT) from an authorised dealer is £21,500.
It would appear that the job is complex and needs a special rig (and special staff) to power the whole car down and then rebooting and setting it up to work again.

Perhaps you may have to protect the buyer with certification/warranty of battery. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #426102 21st Oct 2022 7:24 pm
jules

"It seems that it is to do with ensuring the security of items stored in the glovebox"

like a gun maybe Jules

Post #426108 21st Oct 2022 8:50 pm
jules

IanMetro wrote:
Two things about EVs I discovered thanks to reading this week's Autocar Magazine -

2) Replacing some EV Drive Batteries can be expensive
For an early Range Rover Sport Hybrid, the quoted price (inc parts, labour, and VAT) from an authorised dealer is £21,500.

IIRC I was told by someone who test drives the I-Pace that the battery costs about £35K to replace. Jules

Post #426109 21st Oct 2022 8:53 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Unlikely to be £35,000 for a Ipace battery, that's about 50% of the vehicle cost.
And if someone needed a battery to replace a failed one (unlikely), a second hand one would be the way to go.

I know people complain about the cost of an EV battery, but has anyone actually seen the cost of a replacement engine these days?
A replacement car engine for a normal car is silly money, like 30% to 40% of a new equivalent car, and a second hand engine carries a much higher risk of subsequent failure compared to an EV battery. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #426116 22nd Oct 2022 12:18 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

No wonder company execs are ditching their Beemers for Teslars when the benefit in kind drops from over £1000 per month for a £90 grand ICE car to £60 per month for fully electric.

https://www.rousepartners.co.uk/electric-company-car-tax/ MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #426123 22nd Oct 2022 4:52 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Some EV batteries are reasonable, some can be split into sections so that only a faulty section needs to be replaced - with one from a written off vehicle. Some on the other hand are integral to the chassis, some are from short lived “early adopters” Pick one of the latter and a single single cell can make the vehicle uneconomical to repair. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #426130 22nd Oct 2022 6:57 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Nodge68 wrote:
Unlikely to be £35,000 for a Ipace battery, that's about 50% of the vehicle cost.
And if someone needed a battery to replace a failed one (unlikely), a second hand one would be the way to go.

I know people complain about the cost of an EV battery, but has anyone actually seen the cost of a replacement engine these days?
A replacement car engine for a normal car is silly money, like 30% to 40% of a new equivalent car, and a second hand engine carries a much higher risk of subsequent failure compared to an EV battery.

Back in the 90’s I asked how much a new engine would cost for a Japanese motorcycle. The cost was about the same as buying a new bike.

Post #426131 22nd Oct 2022 7:52 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

The Telegraph
Electric car owners may face taxes within three years
Edward Malnick, Tony Diver - 2h ago

Had to happen i suppose.
Save the planet and pay your taxes Rolling with laughter

Post #426334 29th Oct 2022 9:59 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Laughing Laughing Laughing at long last

I have a euro 6 diesel - drinks Adblue and has a DPF with a very limited life, but hey ho the exhaust is relatively clean compared to my pre-DPF FL2.
So in theory I pay £150 tax based on emissions and £370 luxury car tax - knew this up front so can't complain.

But

Buy a similarly priced Tesla (other expensive milk floats are available) and the tax based on emissions is £0 (fair enough) and the luxury car tax is £0 Exclamation Exclamation

Only grumpy because I have just paid for another 12 months tax Evil or Very Mad Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #426339 30th Oct 2022 9:43 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Its a choice, buy a EV car earlier and pay no tax for a few years, or stick to ice and pay tax every year.

Its a shame the ipace is so dull and soulless to drive(not), I wish i could be enjoying queuing at the pumps and other exciting pastimes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #426345 30th Oct 2022 3:52 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Is that not a bit over simplified. An awful lot of people could not afford a new car electric or otherwise. Most people who run a 13 year old motor it’s not a choice, I know some prefer a classic but not all.

Post #426347 30th Oct 2022 5:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 15 of 41 <123 ... 141516 ... 394041>