Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Fitting new water pump - Sealant on gasket?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
MRRover75

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Fitting new water pump - Sealant on gasket?

I am about to replace my timing belt together with the pulleys and water pump on my 2.2. The kit is branded "SKF". Should I use some kind of silicone sealer on the water pump gasket during installation or should it be installed dry? Its a black metal gasket, so I assume this one is coated with some kind of sealant material? I got conflicting advice around this.... LR workshop manual states nothing about this, so I assume it should be installed dry !?! Any advice?

Post #412076 8th Sep 2021 9:17 am
robblue

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

should be fitted dry and bolts to correct tourqe Thumbs Up 2009 FL2 S now gone
2011 FL2 HSE AUTO
2012 FL2 XS AUTO
2000 Kawasaki er 5

Post #412083 8th Sep 2021 11:39 am
Jagracer

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Hi, I have recently taken a water pump out of a block which had been in for less than 10,000 miles. It had been leaking slightly, and had a thin track of rust under it. This was a new one dealer fitted. So I would put a thin coating of Hylomar myself both sides of the gasket.

Post #412087 8th Sep 2021 12:45 pm
Telco

2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey

This is a coincidence as I've been looking at the online instructions for the Gates kit that I received this morning.

WRT the water pump Gates state:

Caution! If a coolant pump is fitted with seals/sealing rings do not apply liquid sealant.

Would it be right to assume seals & gaskets are one and the same?

Are there any Online instructions for SKF, with Gates its via a rather neat QR code on the box?

Post #412091 8th Sep 2021 2:52 pm
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

I used the gates kit, no sealant on gasket, no leaks a year on. Do be careful when fitting the gates water pump as there is a small drain bolt at the bottom. Mine was not nipped up when I initially installed it, so I did have a minor leak till I figured out where it was leaking and nipped it up.

Post #412092 8th Sep 2021 2:59 pm
Jagracer

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Its amazing how manufactures unlearn engineering practices. The two materials in contact are dissimilar metals with different coeficients of expansion. Without a flexible sealant temperature change will at some time cause a leak under pressure. When assembling parts on aircraft, we used a flexible sealant called Thyakol to stop corrosion and leakage. A better solution would be an O-ring seal in a machined groove.

Having just changed an engine in a Freelander 2, I am amazed at the lack of engineering skills employed in the design and fitment of parts, especially the lack of space for maintenance of simple parts. To get at the Starter and Alternator, remove the whole filter housing and the Power Steering Pump. The vehicle is designed to last 100k miles and then crush it. THe under side is not rust proofed either. My other 2009 car has now trashed its differential, another poor design. What was wrong with locking centre diffs. and limited slip diff. axles? they worked fine in earlier Landrovers. I doubt that the Haldex Coupling was any cheaper to manufacture.

I was a Quality Consultant in a former life, so I consider I am qualified to comment. In another life I machined a large section of the Cern Large Hadron Collider, funny old world, isn't it?

Post #412094 8th Sep 2021 3:14 pm
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

Funny how my honda has 180K and only ever needed brakes, tires, and a new clutch. The new clutch was last year...

Post #412098 8th Sep 2021 3:31 pm
Telco

Thanks Grimdog, I've checked the drain and it's is good to go.

Post #412101 8th Sep 2021 4:27 pm
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

Happy days Thumbs Up

Post #412103 8th Sep 2021 5:09 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Was wondering this myself. Think I'll use a smear of hylomar or similar. My other question is bleeding the cooling system afterwards, is there any special procedure? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #412109 8th Sep 2021 8:37 pm
MRRover75

As mentioned earlier, there are conflicting advice around this everywhere. Haynes and LR workshop manual states nothing. Dayco video states sealant. SKF documents do not states anything clear around applications with metal gaskets, only for water pumps with an O-ring and paper gasket. As its only a metal gasket (or should we call it a shim??), I am tempted to use a tiny smear of RTV sealant on both sides.

Last edited by MRRover75 on 9th Sep 2021 7:01 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #412118 9th Sep 2021 6:55 am
MRRover75

Jagracer wrote:
Its amazing how manufactures unlearn engineering practices. The two materials in contact are dissimilar metals with different coeficients of expansion. Without a flexible sealant temperature change will at some time cause a leak under pressure. When assembling parts on aircraft, we used a flexible sealant called Thyakol to stop corrosion and leakage. A better solution would be an O-ring seal in a machined groove.

Having just changed an engine in a Freelander 2, I am amazed at the lack of engineering skills employed in the design and fitment of parts, especially the lack of space for maintenance of simple parts. To get at the Starter and Alternator, remove the whole filter housing and the Power Steering Pump. The vehicle is designed to last 100k miles and then crush it. THe under side is not rust proofed either. My other 2009 car has now trashed its differential, another poor design. What was wrong with locking centre diffs. and limited slip diff. axles? they worked fine in earlier Landrovers. I doubt that the Haldex Coupling was any cheaper to manufacture.

This is pretty spot on! I heard that modern cars are only built to last around 8 years, then thrashed. Would explain many of the solutions used. An O-ring seal in a machined groove would be the very best solution here. I know because I am using a lot of O-rings in my mechanical design work and they rarely fails as long as the groove design is correct and installed properly. Many of the other cars have this solution on the waterpump flange, but not this one, which makes you in doubt.

Post #412119 9th Sep 2021 6:59 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

MRRover75 wrote:
As mentioned earlier, there are conflicting advice around this everywhere. Haynes and LR workshop manual states nothing. Dayco video states sealant. SKF documents do not states anything clear around applications with metal gaskets, only for water pumps with an O-ring and paper gasket. As its only a metal gasket (or should we call it a shim??), I am tempted to use a tiny smear of RTV sealant on both sides.

And also what would be the harm in adding a thin layer of RTV to both sides of the gasket ? Jules

Post #412125 9th Sep 2021 9:14 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

As jules states above, I can't see how that's not a good idea.

Post #412141 9th Sep 2021 6:08 pm
Telco

I've been looking into this for the best option to progress and the reason why not to use sealant in some instances is detailed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO5ggJt3cwo

It looks like the metal gasket I've been supplied may well have a NBR coating or similar, it certainly is coated with something.

Post #412148 9th Sep 2021 7:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>