« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Questioning the LR shop manual on leveling transmission oil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame
Questioning the LR shop manual on leveling transmission oil

OK folks, I have a tendency to zig when everyone zags but never the less I would like to revisit a train of thought I am currently pondering. I am a layman but I am also reasonably practical.

It's the Aisin 6 speed AWF 21.

Shop manual says to level the transmission fluid at 50 to 60* transmission temp.

The transmission also has a breather so, unless it gets blocked any over pressure will vent.

I simply can't see many garages (including LR) actually doing the leveling 60* temperature thingy as it adds time and most cars will sit for hours before draining. I can see most mechanics putting back exactly what volume was removed since getting the transmission to 60* takes some time. However, depending on who filled it last (if it was ever refilled) that volume could vary and may not even be accurate if it ever was to begin with!

So I ask the Freel2 experts, tell me why one can not simply drain a transmission and refill it to the level of the drain plug even on room temperature fluid? Basically, "what difference does it really make"? Very Happy Bow down

I must confess, I am killing some time but still, it seems like the 50-60* thingy is overly complex and very impractical.

Post #412422 18th Sep 2021 7:30 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Motion,

If you look up the expansion rate for a typical Hydrocarbon based fluid you will find numbers near

0.1% per degree Celsius (on the high side and about half of that on the low side)

I believe that this should be calculated like compounding interest.

For a 100 Degree change in temperature

Note: this means - 45 C to 55 C and what are you doing changing your fluid at -40 C, turn the heater on already

The change in volume would be 10%

For me a much more reasonable 25 C to 55 C

A 30 Degree change in temperature

The change in volume would be 3%

If we have 10 Liters in the Transmission (actually we have less) then we are talking about 300 mL

I don't even like metric units but I know that 300 mL isn't much.

In fact I would argue that you need to make sure that the vehicle is very level if you want to be accurate to that small amount of fluid. If its not level that may affect you measurement more than the fluid expansion.

I ignore the 55 C level checking and I just replace the same amount that I remove and I have done it this way for 5 changes at about 3 liters per change.

Good luck

Paul

Post #412426 18th Sep 2021 8:57 pm
p_gill

Re: Questioning the LR shop manual on leveling transmission

MotionInc wrote:

.....................................Shop manual says to level the transmission fluid at 50 to 60* transmission temp.

The transmission also has a breather so, unless it gets blocked any over pressure will vent.

I simply can't see many garages (including LR) actually doing the leveling 60* temperature thingy as it adds time and most cars will sit for hours before draining............................... it seems like the 50-60* thingy is overly complex and very impractical.

Motion,

You can go down this path

Where you ignore the shop manual

And you make decisions based on

...Common Sense

...Sound Judgment

...and Scientific Principals

However you are not the first to choose this path

And I must warn you where the path leads.

"....and I took the one less traveled by and that has made all the difference" R. Frost

You've been warned

Click image to enlarge

Take care

Paul

Post #412428 18th Sep 2021 9:13 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

300ml is 0.364 US pints to be fairly precise. I doubt it makes a huge difference out a total vol of 14.8 US pints

https://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

1 UK pint is 1.2 US pints apparently - every day is a school day Jules

Post #412429 18th Sep 2021 9:19 pm
MotionInc

Re: Questioning the LR shop manual on leveling transmission

p_gill wrote:
MotionInc wrote:

.....................................Shop manual says to level the transmission fluid at 50 to 60* transmission temp.

I simply can't see many garages (including LR) actually doing the leveling 60* temperature thingy as it adds time and most cars will sit for hours before draining............................... it seems like the 50-60* thingy is overly complex and very impractical.

Motion,

You can go down this path

Where you ignore the shop manual

And you make decisions based on

...Common Sense

...Sound Judgment

...and Scientific Principals

However you are not the first to choose this path

And I must warn you where the path leads.

"....and I took the one less traveled by and that has made all the difference" R. Frost

You've been warned

Click image to enlarge

Take care

Paul

For a second , I thought The Road Less Travelled by M.S. Peck (dated a psychologist for quite a few years a long time ago Laughing ) but R. Frost is much more applicable here Rolling with laughter . The procedure is overly complicated and for 300ml (agree with @jules also) seems impractical since the transmission can vent excess pressure.

It's like the rear diff in these vehicles, since the originals were of poor design and starved the pinion bearing for oil, a slight over fill has to be better than any underfill period.

Post #412430 18th Sep 2021 10:02 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I remember in my other makes of cars the fluid was measured either hot or cold in fact the level for either was stamped on the dipstick.

I just did a google search on the topic

why should auto gearbox fluid be at a certain temperature for measuring

Post #412431 18th Sep 2021 10:06 pm
MotionInc

Quote:
I remember in my other makes of cars the fluid was measured either hot or cold in fact the level for either was stamped on the dipstick.

I just did a google search on the topic

why should auto gearbox fluid be at a certain temperature for measuring

Oh, I am not questioning the principle of expansion and contraction, I am just questioning whether mechanics (even LR mechanics) follow the very specific procedures set out by the shop manual. In addition, I am also of the belief that a small over fill is way less of an issue than any underfill. As I stated, there is a breather on the transmission and most people will just do a drain, measure and then a refill of the same amount. However, the drain and refill will also be at differing temps so that is also somewhat inaccurate unless you drain it at room temp.

Post #412433 18th Sep 2021 10:42 pm
Badger51

Australia 

I’ve done mine both ways & it made absolutely no difference to the end result. Of course, drain & refill with same amount does require the level to be correct in the first place. The last change I did cold & added the same amount as removed, then added an extra 500ml. I then drove the car until the temp was just under 60°c. Got home & checked vehicle was level, temp bang on 60°c & with engine idling, removed the level plug & as near as damn it 500ml drained out. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #412435 19th Sep 2021 1:14 am
p_gill

jules wrote:
300ml is 0.364 US pints to be fairly precise. I doubt it makes a huge difference out a total vol of 14.8 US pints

https://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

1 UK pint is 1.2 US pints apparently - every day is a school day

Jules,

The 300 ml is the high side estimate.

If I plug in 7 liters of fluid (I had to look it up) and I assume that the coefficient of thermal expansion is more like 0.0007% then the total increase for a 30 C range is:

150 ml

It is likely that the actual answer is somewhere between 150 ml and 300 ml

I completely ignored/avoided the Pints, Quarts and Gallons because I can never be sure if we are talking about US or UK

The most important take away from all of this is the following.

If we are actually going to have a discussion about Pints are we seriously going to be talking about Transmission Fluid.

I am fine with my Land Rover turning me into a Mechanic but the line has to be drawn somewhere and this seems a bit to far.

Just my 2 cents worth

Paul

Post #412436 19th Sep 2021 1:29 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Paul, now we need to know what 2 cents equates to? Common sense isn't very common.

Post #412446 19th Sep 2021 10:37 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

No, Paul Im not up for discussing the merits of trans-Atlantic volume measurements Laughing
But you do get less beer for your pint, but then again it tends to be stronger.

Anyway, I would have thought that if the engine/gearbox has been run so that the gearbox is warm to touch (you can measure the coolant temp if you want) and the car is level, checking the ATF level at this point would be good enough.
Well, that's what I did. Jules

Post #412448 19th Sep 2021 10:46 am
p_gill

Axel I may have know the answer to your question before the Pints but it is unlikely that I will remember once we get to the Pints.

Motion Now you have your answer. Based on a random sampling of four Land Rover Mechanics at least 25% of the Mechanics do verify that the Transmission is warm when checking the level.

And in case you haven't figured it out Motion you are one of those mechanics. (Now you know why you should always take the blue pill.)

Jules Nice work closing the loop. When talking about what is typically consumed at a pub I do believe that here in the states we are consuming Pints that are "typically stronger". But having said that I would also point out that our neighbors to the north are consuming beer that is typically even stronger than we are.

Canada > US > UK

Take a look where Motion is from.

Well played!!!

Take care

Paul

Last edited by p_gill on 19th Sep 2021 8:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #412478 19th Sep 2021 6:39 pm
MotionInc

Yes, Canadian beer is awesome. Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #412479 19th Sep 2021 6:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top