« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Should I change it.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Should I change it.

I have had my Freelander 2 almost 4 years now & as its a 2007 model I am thinking of selling & buying a newer one. Its the SE model so almost an HSE with just 52000 miles on it. Still immaculate condition, garaged & well looked after.

I am thinking because of its age things may very well start going wrong with the more expensive items like 4 wheel drive or diffs & stuff like that.

I am not an aggressive driver & mostly run about in a calm non Revie fashion, dont tow anything either.

If I change it it would have to be for a 2013 or 2014 year, I still love the freelander & even after looking at x trails & the like I still want a freelander.

I would love a Metropolis but they seem quite a bit out of my price range, anything approaching my budget has a lot of miles on it. HSE Luxury is a more common car but again most have quite a lot of miles on them in the 2013 or 2014 range. Should I worry about 80 or 90 thousand miles on a car if it has service history. Budget is £12000 to £13000. We buy any car has offered £6000 (subject to seeing it) & another online website has said £5680 p/x so not too bad for a 13 year old car, it is in spotless condition so easily worth that money.

I have read that the later cars are better than the older models in reliability comfort & finish. I do like the later models styling with upgraded bumpers & dash etc, I would also like the SD4 in automatic now I am getting on a bit. Can't really make up my mind what to do.

Post #404146 16th Feb 2021 2:21 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Any car will look at it and offer you less than what they said it’s just how they work. The years your looking at will have DPF I think.

Post #404148 16th Feb 2021 2:30 pm
Dartman the one

England 

At 52000 miles it has the same chance of failure of any car with 52000 miles on it, your choice for the extra goodies on the later models but finding a 2013/14 car with the same miles or less may well be difficult my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #404149 16th Feb 2021 2:50 pm
Mattmjones

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I got my 2013 XS SD4 auto on 46k miles for just under £13k about 18 months ago, with full LR service history. Don't just dismiss a well-looked after FL2 on the basis of trim spec alone - although XS is mid-range, it had all the toys I wanted - full leather, front and rear sensors, electric seats, reverse cam, tailgate spoiler, armrest pack etc. And the stuff it was missing - 19" alloys, roof rails and a heated steering wheel - I have retrofitted myself anyway.

Post #404150 16th Feb 2021 3:00 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I have the exact car you mention; 2013 SD4 HSE Lux with ~81k miles. FSH and I love it!
Had no issues with it at all. Like all LRs, as long as they’ve been serviced and generally looked after then they tend to keep going so I wouldn’t worry too much about the mileage.
I’m moving overseas soon and can’t take it with me but I know I will certainly miss it. Great cars.

Post #404157 16th Feb 2021 5:47 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Re: Should I change it.

blueboy wrote:
I have had my Freelander 2 almost 4 years now & as its a 2007 model I am thinking of selling & buying a newer one. Its the SE model so almost an HSE with just 52000 miles on it. Still immaculate condition, garaged & well looked after.

I am thinking because of its age things may very well start going wrong with the more expensive items like 4 wheel drive or diffs & stuff like that.

I am not an aggressive driver & mostly run about in a calm non Revie fashion, dont tow anything either.

If I change it it would have to be for a 2013 or 2014 year, I still love the freelander & even after looking at x trails & the like I still want a freelander.

I would love a Metropolis but they seem quite a bit out of my price range, anything approaching my budget has a lot of miles on it. HSE Luxury is a more common car but again most have quite a lot of miles on them in the 2013 or 2014 range. Should I worry about 80 or 90 thousand miles on a car if it has service history. Budget is £12000 to £13000. We buy any car has offered £6000 (subject to seeing it) & another online website has said £5680 p/x so not too bad for a 13 year old car, it is in spotless condition so easily worth that money.

I have read that the later cars are better than the older models in reliability comfort & finish. I do like the later models styling with upgraded bumpers & dash etc, I would also like the SD4 in automatic now I am getting on a bit. Can't really make up my mind what to do.

A 50k miles car is a 50k miles car, and there's no guarantee that a later one won't go wrong, costing you more than yours could do.
Why no just replace all the fluids in the transmission components, and keep using it, saving your money for something newer when the time comes. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.

Post #404158 16th Feb 2021 5:57 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

If it hasn't given you any trouble then i would keep it, who's to say the newer one would be move reliable? Common sense isn't very common.

Post #404167 16th Feb 2021 8:24 pm
norfie

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I've had my 2007 HSE for 8 years now and it's knocking on the door of 130,000 miles, I was, like you, thinking of getting a newer one but decided against that and fitted the 2012 onwards bumper and lights instead. I know my car and what's been done (and what needs to be done) but if I changed it I could be buying somebody else's trouble.

Post #404187 17th Feb 2021 8:27 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Should I change it.

Nodge68 wrote:

A 50k miles car is a 50k miles car, and there's no guarantee that a later one won't go wrong, costing you more than yours could do.
Why no just replace all the fluids in the transmission components, and keep using it, saving your money for something newer when the time comes.

I agree with Nodge. 50K miles is not a lot if its been cared for. The most important thing to do to extend the life of this car is to get the lubrication fluids changed in PTU, Gearbox, haldex (+ filter) and rear diff. (assuming you've not already done it) Jules

Post #404197 17th Feb 2021 10:44 am
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Thanks to everyone that contributed to my question. I agree with its low miles at 52000 & for sure will probably go on for some time if it is looked after.

I am 67 now & dont visulise me buying many more cars, I really love the freelander & if I was going to get another younger model it may well see me out with my driving years that are left.

I really like the newer models with upgraded bumper & interior plus I am thinking automatic now as well. My 2007 has black plastic around the door bottoms & bumpers & to upgrade to getting the latest bumper & getting the plastic painted will cost a bit as well.

Still wrestling with what to do, stick with what I have or find a newer car 2013 or 14 thats going to do me for some years to come.

If the freelander was still being made then I would probably not be so bothered about changing my current one because if it went bang then I could get another, now they are no longer made (I really dont fancy driving anything else) it maybe best to buy the best I can get my hands on so its going to last for some years to come. Decisions decisions eh.

Post #404200 17th Feb 2021 12:11 pm
Dartman the one

England 

If your reason for changing as probably it will be your final car the the best reason for changing is the choice of an auto, the variation of speed limits over short distances in urban and suburban areas and the increasing use of speed limiting obstacles makes the choice of an auto a sensible solution. The modern auto is on par with the equivalent manual box in regards to fuel consumption and emmissions and the SD is the best choice, so my opinion would be change and enjoy the highest spec available for your budget, perhaps even push it bit for what you want rather than what you need, over the years the regret of not getting that option you wanted will always grate. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #404204 17th Feb 2021 2:03 pm
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Sometimes in life we should just do things because we want to instead of need to, push the boat out and buy a Metropolis, I don't think you would regret it, lovely car Thumbs Up

Post #404211 17th Feb 2021 3:19 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

blueboy wrote:
Thanks to everyone that contributed to my question. I agree with its low miles at 52000 & for sure will probably go on for some time if it is looked after.

I am 67 now & dont visulise me buying many more cars, I really love the freelander & if I was going to get another younger model it may well see me out with my driving years that are left.

I really like the newer models with upgraded bumper & interior plus I am thinking automatic now as well. My 2007 has black plastic around the door bottoms & bumpers & to upgrade to getting the latest bumper & getting the plastic painted will cost a bit as well.

Still wrestling with what to do, stick with what I have or find a newer car 2013 or 14 thats going to do me for some years to come.

If the freelander was still being made then I would probably not be so bothered about changing my current one because if it went bang then I could get another, now they are no longer made (I really dont fancy driving anything else) it maybe best to buy the best I can get my hands on so its going to last for some years to come. Decisions decisions eh.

If it were me, I'd keep it, especially as it's hardly run in at 50k, and I bet the underside is immaculate too. The Freelander 2 is generally good for 200k miles, when maintenance is done in a timely manner.

Your main issue is you'll get comparatively very little as a trade in for yours, which means you'll be adding a sizable amount towards a newer replacement, which will likely have higher miles, more wear and be less well looked after.
A second hand vehicle is always a gamble, and unless there's absolutely no choice, it's almost always best to stick to a vehicle that you know, and know how well it has been maintained. A few colour coded trim bits, and a few more toys inside means nothing, if it's unreliable and expensive to keep running.

Obviously keeping yours means sticking with a manual box, which if you must have an auto, then you'll have no choice but to change it, but be aware that you probably won't get a replacement that's anything like as well looked after as yours has obviously been.

Also if you do want to change, then it's better to sell it privately, than to trade it in, as a private buyer will pay a premium for a well looked after, low mileage FL2, but a trader won't, he'll give you book trade in price, which could be pretty low, much less than its actual worth. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.

Post #404214 17th Feb 2021 5:19 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

At 67 , you’re in your golden years . You don’t have to think about things too hard , just do whatever makes you happy , and don’t worry about the financial side of things too much it’s only money . You don’t want to be sitting with a rug over your knee at 90 years of age thinking “ if only I’d ......” 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #404216 17th Feb 2021 6:31 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

At 61 (let alone 67) I wouldn't want to be driving a manual so can understand the idea of buying a newer auto of the car that you love. But what sort of driving do you intend to be driving, your existing car will be DPF free, a 2013 Freelander will have the dreaded (by me) DPF that will not be happy with perpetual short trips. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #404221 17th Feb 2021 8:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>