Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Should I change it.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

That was a shock Rog to hear you'd got shut of the D4 , still tempted by one myself . Or maybe an early Disco sport or last of the FL2's .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #404276 19th Feb 2021 6:48 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hello Blueboy, really thinking about this I sort of agree with Axle why sell, my thoughts are that you already have a car that you know very well and any major failure is inevitable but just think that your next car although how attractive it might be it could be someone’s failure. Sorry to sound harsh but there are so many second hand cars out there which are troublesome.

Here is an example but a lesson learned. A very good friend of mine lost his pride and joy in the Echo arena carpark fire on New Year’s Eve a couple of years ago. Can’t help that he lost it that way a freelander 2 HSE 2009 auto he had from new as his father had spent the lump sum of his pension to buy the car then through a un answered event his dad passed away. I can remember this very well. He offered me the car but I said it would be a fitting tribute to your dad as the car had sentimental value.

The car has obviously been destroyed but the insurance didn’t pay the true value so Andy went to look at many lr2s and decided on a particular one from a dealer not LR. All looked good, history, low miles, no dings or damaged wheels,3 month warranty. Nothing on HPI in fact it had a RAC inspection.. The paperwork showed all this so who do you trust?
The warranty was not what he had thought. When the sun had shone on the car it wouldn’t start? When it did you couldn’t drive it, how strange. Took it back No joy from the dealer. Eventually the car was inspected by an insurance company and it was found to be a cut and shut chassis which had been cheaply done and I remember looking at the cabling behind the dash, it was awful.
The dealer was sued and has now stopped trading. My dear friend Andy although being still in shock bought a car from another not LR dealer “WHAT” I said. This time Andy had his own inspection done by the AA, nothing showed a warning siren. All was good. The car actually looked in excellent condition The dealer even had a full landrover dealer service done, all the oils, even the cambelt. What could go wrong?

Well, the previous owner had a tracker fitted to it and kept a key or had one cut.Once upon a time, Unknown to Andy the previous owner had gone to prison and on his release he went looking for his car and drove it away.

Just imagine informing your insurance “ Car taken with a key”. No insurance.
Fortunately a near neighbour had a camera fitted to the front of his truck, not a dash cam, the camera recorded this event and eventually Andy received his money back.

He now drives a Skoda Octavia 4x4 who’s going to steal that one?

Never ever trust what you see it could be something in disguise or buy from a main dealer with a proper warranty and a train of contact.

Have a serious think before you part with your current car.

Post #404285 20th Feb 2021 12:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

RogB wrote:
ive just gone from a 2011 D4 to a 2018 Kia Sportage (dont ask, really miss the V6 but not the anxiety it causes Laughing )

so far im pretty impressed with the Kia, its the 1.7D '3' model with 6 speed manual. Its a lot nippier than i imagined it would be, and quite torquey for a smaller engine. Feels pretty solid and is very well equipped.
Its been in for a service under the previous owners service plan, so i asked the dealer what the cost of the next 40k service would be. He said its a big service and expensive so i waited with baited breath while he checked and came back with £329 ...... less than the cost of minor service on a Land Rover Laughing and I can put a 2 year service plan on it for £389 including MOT's so whats not to love.
During the service they looked at the sunroof which was slow to close, and will be fitting a new sunroof frame under warranty with no arguments so im impressed with that too. LR would have argued til they were blue in the face.
As for MPG im getting high 30's round town, ive not had a chance at a longer run out yet due to CV19 restrictions but im sure ill get close up to 50mpg without being too cautious.

That seems like a huge step down. I don't think I could ever drive one of these Korean soulless so called suv's. I'd miss the landrover every time I got into it and every time I saw one on the road. I get the anxiety of waiting for a D4 to eat its own engine but come on Rog get rid of the horrid thing and get back behind the wheel of a green oval.😥 Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #404293 20th Feb 2021 11:17 am
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

davyboy wrote:
Hello Blueboy, really thinking about this I sort of agree with Axle why sell, my thoughts are that you already have a car that you know very well and any major failure is inevitable but just think that your next car although how attractive it might be it could be someone’s failure. Sorry to sound harsh but there are so many second hand cars out there which are troublesome.

Here is an example but a lesson learned. A very good friend of mine lost his pride and joy in the Echo arena carpark fire on New Year’s Eve a couple of years ago. Can’t help that he lost it that way a freelander 2 HSE 2009 auto he had from new as his father had spent the lump sum of his pension to buy the car then through a un answered event his dad passed away. I can remember this very well. He offered me the car but I said it would be a fitting tribute to your dad as the car had sentimental value.

The car has obviously been destroyed but the insurance didn’t pay the true value so Andy went to look at many lr2s and decided on a particular one from a dealer not LR. All looked good, history, low miles, no dings or damaged wheels,3 month warranty. Nothing on HPI in fact it had a RAC inspection.. The paperwork showed all this so who do you trust?
The warranty was not what he had thought. When the sun had shone on the car it wouldn’t start? When it did you couldn’t drive it, how strange. Took it back No joy from the dealer. Eventually the car was inspected by an insurance company and it was found to be a cut and shut chassis which had been cheaply done and I remember looking at the cabling behind the dash, it was awful.
The dealer was sued and has now stopped trading. My dear friend Andy although being still in shock bought a car from another not LR dealer “WHAT” I said. This time Andy had his own inspection done by the AA, nothing showed a warning siren. All was good. The car actually looked in excellent condition The dealer even had a full landrover dealer service done, all the oils, even the cambelt. What could go wrong?

Well, the previous owner had a tracker fitted to it and kept a key or had one cut.Once upon a time, Unknown to Andy the previous owner had gone to prison and on his release he went looking for his car and drove it away.

Just imagine informing your insurance “ Car taken with a key”. No insurance.
Fortunately a near neighbour had a camera fitted to the front of his truck, not a dash cam, the camera recorded this event and eventually Andy received his money back.

He now drives a Skoda Octavia 4x4 who’s going to steal that one?

Never ever trust what you see it could be something in disguise or buy from a main dealer with a proper warranty and a train of contact.

Have a serious think before you part with your current car.

Certainly not disputing what you say mate. I bought my current car from a non dealership garage. it had 48000 (only done 4000 in 3 years) on the clock with Land Rover service history. It was already 10 years old when I bought it, it all felt right to me when I drove it, there was another car which was actually a year younger, cheaper & was a full HSE but with more miles on it. I looked at it but the SE to me was a better buy & I had a better feeling about it. If I do change it it would be for the newest I can afford so would have to be a 2014 as discontinued after that year, a 2013 would be ok too if it looks & feels right. A 2014 would probably last me at least 6 to 8 years & we will probably have to be electric by then if I am still here & driving. There are people about just like me & many on here that really love & look after their cars, its finding one of them thats the difficult part.

Post #404299 20th Feb 2021 4:21 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I've a 2014 that I bought in 2017 at just 17000 miles. It's now increased to 76000 as I was doing a longer commute for most of that time. I'm now down to just 18 miles a day round trip to work so miles will increase much more slowly. I intend to keep it for as long as possible. Thumbs Up Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #404300 20th Feb 2021 4:28 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

...... its finding one of them that's the difficult part.

That's true even when you buy new. Having had a series of new company vehicles that were a right pain until they settled down, it's even worse now, cars are released with the software no-where near ready, and they get updated for a year or two until the platform becomes stable. SOTA anyone?

SOTA is LRs answer to crappy software, the Software Over The Air, updates the software usually at night while you are tucked up in bed, it gives you a nice message in the morning to let you know to expect more bugs. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #404301 20th Feb 2021 4:31 pm
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Could one of you very knowledgeable people tell me what I need (type of & quantity) oil wise for the gearbox drive units axle/Haldex etc. Maybe something I should address on the next service.

Not had an automatic before (if I buy one) are these more problematic ? is there more involved with looking after auto than manual.

Post #404337 21st Feb 2021 5:41 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

SOTA, sounds like Windows 10 updates on four wheels. It’s bad enough when your computer doesn’t want to start up or shut down without some message about updates being installed. I’m glad my 07 FL2 isn’t going to get any updates anytime soon!

Post #404340 21st Feb 2021 6:28 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Are auto's problematic?
In my experience manuals are nothing but trouble, towing a 1,500kg trailer for 50,000 a year, or just a heavily loaded van for similar mileage - seemed to be in for clutches or gearboxes every five minutes. OK not Freelander2, but my Freelander auto was abused and was still smiling 185,000 miles later. You do need to change the oil but it's not as strait forward as a manual. if you drop the oil you will only get a litre or so, the box holds 7 litres.
So you have two options, every service drop the gearbox oil (1.5L?), and treat it as a partial oil change.
Or every 60-70,000 miles do a complete flush and change - will probably take 11-12 litres to do properly.
The front PTU box would benefit from an oil change every now and again (50k?), I changed the rear diff oil every service and was still on the original diff. The haldex also likes oil and a filter changes some would say every 50K, but maybe more often wouldn't hurt.

I may be a little hard on SOTA, the software on my DS is noticeably/massively better than when I first bought it, many of the changes are to keep up with the iPhone and android software changes which seem to happen every other month. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #404347 21st Feb 2021 8:09 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

blueboy wrote:
Could one of you very knowledgeable people tell me what I need (type of & quantity) oil wise for the gearbox drive units axle/Haldex etc. Maybe something I should address on the next service.

Not had an automatic before (if I buy one) are these more problematic ? is there more involved with looking after auto than manual.

I would just stick to the manufacturers recommendation for servicing, and not mess about with it unless you have a fault.
Others will disagree and like to replace perfectly good oil for no reason.

Autos should be more reliable than manual.

Post #404361 21st Feb 2021 11:45 pm
Badger51

Australia 

blueboy wrote:

This will start you off, read carefully & inwardly digest.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic28619.html (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #404368 22nd Feb 2021 4:16 am
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

Strange that consensus here seems to be autos are better than manuals, the gearbox issue threads seem to be always regarding autos.... 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #404371 22nd Feb 2021 9:04 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

TooBlue wrote:

I would just stick to the manufacturers recommendation for servicing, and not mess about with it unless you have a fault.

You have to remember that LR said that the auto gearbox oil was fitted for life - ie when the oil failed throw the gearbox away.
If like some of us you have dropped the black, burnt, stinking fluid out of the transmission at 100k you would realise it was far from fitted for life unless you consider the life of a gearbox as 100k.
They also said initially that the Haldex oil was fitted for life, at the time the same Haldex fitted to VW and they recommended that the oil was changed every 20K. The diff oil and PTU oil were also "fitted for life", which gave lower projected service costs, great if you are a lease company who would chop the car in at 100k, lease prices were therefore relatively low. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #404372 22nd Feb 2021 9:10 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

TooBlue wrote:
blueboy wrote:

Why would you want to make expensive components fail before their time, simply to save a few quid on fluids. Confused 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #404386 22nd Feb 2021 7:23 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

I makes me chuckle every time a member quotes “ full Land Rover service history” if they only knew Rolling with laughter

Post #404390 22nd Feb 2021 7:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>