« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Torque Pro & autobox ATF temperature PID
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Torque Pro & autobox ATF temperature PID

ATF temperature is required to set the ATF level in the gearbox (60C)

I've got Torque Pro - it doesnt obtain the autobox oil temp sensor to TCM signal data and, incorrectly, just uses the coolant temp .

People have created custom PIDs for other JLR vehicles which include ATF temperature. I've downloaded them into my Torque Pro but they dont't work on the FL2

I just wondered if anyone has come across any PID files for Torque Pro that work on the FL2 and collect the autobox oil temp ?

OR, as the ATF is pumped through an ATF/coolant heat exchanger, is it reasonable to assume that the ATF is kept at the same temp as the engine coolant ? I doubt this to be true. Jules

Post #399331 3rd Nov 2020 10:49 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

I was looking for this a year+ ago; was unsuccessful for my model and year. Subbed for eager interest. Razz

Post #399333 3rd Nov 2020 11:22 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Excellent topic regarding atf oil, unfortunately LR didn’t expand enough for freelander 2 electronics/sensors to be allowed out of LR, the freelander 2 was an electronic test bed for all our current LR’s both running gear,body and trim. Currently no information is allowed out of Jaguar Landrover. As they keep a tight control over specification ie Competitors. Difficulty in obtaining after market software to accurately support this.

Regarding the auto box oil temp this is critical for the longevity of the oil and auto box internals hence “Lifetime oil”.
So, the majority of all vehicle manufacturers they design the cooling of the gearbox oil to be ie cooled to a degree before the oil is used around friction linings saving undue wear in harsh environments again the use of so called lifetime oil.

So going forward freelander 2 auto gearbox oil is filled with the recommended amount, with engine running selection of forward and reverse gears so oil is pumped and internals bled, then road tested for 6 miles using both auto and manual gear shifts to a temperature of around 60 degrees. Without the landrover test equipment the use of the oil level plug on the lower part/ gearbox drain plug.

Hope this info assists...?

Post #399338 4th Nov 2020 1:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alex_pescaru

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic28065.html

Post #399339 4th Nov 2020 1:17 am
MotionInc

To update, I tried the linked PID and it does not work for my model and year LR2/FL2. I even tried a PID detailed on an Aussie FL forum to no avail. I can get it in SDD but not the Torque Apk or Icarsoft LR2 scanner. Just my personal experience. Big Cry

Post #399861 13th Nov 2020 7:21 pm
alex_pescaru

Maybe it must be entered in decimal?
DF0A hex = 57098 dec.

Post #399864 13th Nov 2020 9:43 pm
MotionInc

^^^^^This I will try on the weekend. Thanks Alex Thumbs Up

Post #399878 14th Nov 2020 5:32 pm
jules

davyboy wrote:

So going forward freelander 2 auto gearbox oil is filled with the recommended amount, with engine running selection of forward and reverse gears so oil is pumped and internals bled, then road tested for 6 miles using both auto and manual gear shifts to a temperature of around 60 degrees. Without the landrover test equipment the use of the oil level plug on the lower part/ gearbox drain plug.

And therein lies the problem. How do you know when the ATF is at 60C ? Jules

Post #399898 14th Nov 2020 11:38 pm
davyboy

Hello Jules
Well according to Mercedes recommendation as my previous employment many years ago being a auto technician they said and to note this was before any workshop temperature measurement equipment were available at that time, to drive at least 12 miles using manual shift and also automatic making sure the oil galleries were bled ie cooler, torque converter, valve chest.
To stop the vehicle switch engine off, wait 3 mins re start the engine with the gearbox in park dip the gearbox.
Summer or winter, Mercedes said that the atf oil within the gearbox was approximately 60 degrees C if you had driven to their recommendations

I have changed my freelander auto gearbox oil using exactly the same method and have never had an issue with the oil level being incorrect, although it is fiddly with the level plug below and also messy if over full.
Manufacturers all have different methods with oils etc.
The freelander 2 eleven years ago was I feel excellent value for the money both in reliability and ease of maintenance including the auto box,
To be truthful my ideal car would have been the Mercedes G wagon but they are too over priced, I spent six months in Germany at the factory, they are to me the panzer of the motoring world, many stories regarding those days now a distance memory, thank goodness.

Over to you.

Post #399904 15th Nov 2020 1:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davyboy

Sorry conflict in driving miles, as follows.

Total drain or gearbox rebuild 12 miles driven using both manual and auto shifts.

Oil change with filter(mercedes) although LR Freelanders no filter 6 miles using both manual and auto.

Driven normally not harsh noting quality of gear shifts ensuring top gear is selected and also reverse.

No harsh drive or reverse selection.

Sorry Jules.

Post #399905 15th Nov 2020 1:51 am
Badger51

Australia 

jules wrote:
davyboy wrote:

So going forward freelander 2 auto gearbox oil is filled with the recommended amount, with engine k selection of forward and reverse gears so oil is pumped and internals bled, then road tested for 6 miles using both auto and manual gear shifts to a temperature of around 60 degrees. Without the landrover test equipment the use of the oil level plug on the lower part/ gearbox drain plug.

And therein lies the problem. How do you know when the ATF is at 60C ?

jules, you should be able to create a custom PID for Torque Pro using the info that alex has supplied. I tried it myself using obdlink & it is working ok for me. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #399906 15th Nov 2020 2:37 am
alex_pescaru

Would you believe that I never checked the oil temperature when I've changed the autobox oil?
Just drive to the car workshop, drop the oil, refill, check level and way you go.
Never had problems and, for about 30-40 quids, I am doing this partial change at every service period.
Done it about 7 times up until now.

Post #399911 15th Nov 2020 9:47 am
jules

@Davyboy, Badger & Alex - many thanks . Food for thought.

I've not got around to it yet but I intend to put some temp sensors on the ATF cooler pipes adjacent to the gearbox and observe the temp changes over time. Jules

Post #399934 15th Nov 2020 4:21 pm
jules

MotionInc wrote:
^^^^^This I will try on the weekend. Thanks Alex Thumbs Up

Did it work ? Jules

Post #399964 16th Nov 2020 1:20 am
Badger51

Australia 

jules, I tested my obdlink setup this morning & it appears to work correctly. After a couple of short drives (7km each way) the ATF was reading 65 °C & the coolant temp was 80 °C. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #399965 16th Nov 2020 1:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>