Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > ELM327 PID code to read transmission temp?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Walruslike

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
ELM327 PID code to read transmission temp?

Hello folks,

I'm a Aussie with a new-to-me FL2 MY13. SD4 SE Auto. I looooove it! Smile

I tow my boat with it but would really like to assure myself I'm not overworking the transmission. So I bought a eBay wifi ELM327 and got the Fusion iOS app hoping to see transmission temp in the available live data displays. Unfortunately not there and after reading up on it I now understand why.

So now after a fair bit of reading I see that if I can find the PID for the autobox temp then I can manually enter it into the Fusion app and it will then be able to query tranny temp. Lots of googling hasn't turned up the ID yet...

So does anyone know the PID? Also does anyone have any other suggestions for readings that would be good for giving me a sense of whether I need to ease off, or stop and spell the vehicle while towing? ( I can already see the engine temp in the app... 80 degrees C seems to be the set point for the thermostat. Presumably if that climbs near 100 I should ease off or rest the car )

Thnaks for any advice you can offer.

Post #311482 19th Nov 2016 10:04 pm
alex_pescaru

DF0A

Post #311483 19th Nov 2016 11:26 pm
Walruslike

Ah thanks very very much Alex. I went to enter it into Fusion and immediately ran into the limit of my understanding Smile

It's asking for more than just the PID ID... I was looking at
https://www.obdsoftware.net/support/knowle...ined-pids/

and think the mode should be 22
I've left the Module/Header as ECM
PID DF0A
I set:
Priority High

And the thing that's really got me guessing is Equation:

It was already set as (A * 256 + B)/4

I don't know if that's right or not... any suggestions or improvements from anyone most welcome. I haven't tried it in the car yet as I'm a bit nervous about it given I don't understand it yet. I do work in IT so I have the possibility of understanding it... But I'm old and getting dumber so don't yet. Smile

Post #311486 20th Nov 2016 1:40 am
Walruslike

Tried it with above settings and no reading.... Might try removing the calc and see what it says.

Another thing I've thought of that would be very good to know is what gear is it in? I can mostly work it out by revs and speed but can't always be sure and would be good to know.

Post #311488 20th Nov 2016 3:30 am
Walruslike

Sorry for self replying but in case this is ever useful to anyone else....

Put the calculation back as it was before because the App says bad calc or some such when there's nothing there. After more reading I now believe the Header Module should be TCM. Transmission Control Module. Tried that and got a reading of 11 degrees C. Yeeehaaa!

The air temp was 34 degrees and the coolant started at 44 since it was still warm from an earlier trip. Soon went up to its normal 80degres C

The 11 took a while to budge then gradually went up to 20 while I manually worked the gearbox round some local hills.

So if I took the divisor of 4 out of the equation it pretty much mapped the coolant temp. I didn't realise that while driving or I would've paid the two more attention.

That has me worried that it's actually not the transmission oil temp but rather another way of reading coolant temp. Any thoughts most welcome... Smile

Post #311491 20th Nov 2016 9:10 am
alex_pescaru

It's correct, alright.
And indeed the equation is A*256+B, without the 4 divider, as the auto box oil temperature is only given in round values of 1 degree.
And the temperature it's close to the engine water temperature because the transmission oil is cooled by the engine water on that heat exchanger on the side of the main water cooler.

You can perform a little stationary test if you like... Monitor both of them (water and auto oil temps) and put the transmission into Drive, press very hard on the brake and raise the engine RPM to about 1500 RPM. Don't forget to keep pressing on the brake, in order to keep the car still.
The auto oil temperature, because of the hydro friction into the torque converter, will rise more quickly than the water temperature and you'll see the difference.

Post #311500 20th Nov 2016 10:12 am
Walruslike

Wow Alex.... you are a gem! Thanks so much for that... So now I have the capability to see if the towing load is within normal params. Peace of mind while towing. Brilliant. Thanks heaps.

You don't happen to know the PID for the gear number do you? Smile

I am so grateful to this forum and particularly Alex for helping me get this done. i hope someone else gets a benefit too if they do the search like I was doing... they may stumble over this info that Alex so helpfully provided.

Post #311515 20th Nov 2016 12:17 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I wouldn't worry too much about the transmission temperature, the heat exchanger does a very good job of dumping the heat into the engine coolant.
The danger comes if the main radiator is partially blocked, then there is nowhere for the heat to go.

Our radiator was over 60% blocked with mud - not a problem solo, but towing a caravan through the hills of Devon /Cornwall on the one sunny day of the summer, gave reduced traction (oil too hot), and very soon after the temperature gauge into the red. jet wash the radiator and it was good enough to get us home, replaced radiator and she was good to tow a 1500kg through Spain and France mid summer, up some VERY steep mountain tracks - thanks LR satnav!! Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #311518 20th Nov 2016 1:11 pm
alex_pescaru

Walruslike wrote:
You don't happen to know the PID for the gear number do you? Smile

I don't know about your gearbox evolution (its software), but from what I know, that information about the gear is not readily available as a PID...
Still, the commanded gear is available over the high speed can-bus, on CAN address/ID 0x83, the fifth (5) byte, bits 2-0. (this, at least, is true for gearboxes from 2007 to 2010, but it may be as well true for your year).

If you want to play, here's a list of possible PIDs: https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...e_pids.xls

Post #311523 20th Nov 2016 2:45 pm
Walruslike

Thanks Andy that's good information and very reassuring to hear. And thanks too, once again to you Alex for being so helpful and knowledgable.

Post #311553 20th Nov 2016 9:02 pm
Raymond Creemers

Netherlands 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Auto Fuji White

Dear Alex, a question for you please on reading the engine oil via ODB Fusion. Via Lynx Evo I know that my FL2 has an engine oil sensor (referred to as 'sump oil') and that it is working. But I can't get it to work with ODB Fusion. I have tried:

1. User defined PID
Modle/header: ECM
Mode: 22
PID Number: DA39
Priority: High
Equation: (A * 256 + B) 

2. Select PID via SAE PIDs --> Engine oil temperature

Both return no data. Have you tried to solve this one before?
Thanks so much for your thoughts.
Raymond.

Post #360474 14th Nov 2018 10:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1