« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Help! MY15 SE Totally Dead after attempting to update ECU
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

CED wrote:
Unless you are a wizard with the magic lantern equipment, the days of popping down to your local scrappy for a few parts seem to be over , if the the parts have a cable sticking out of them ! Good luck with a happy result .

Same hear - happy to tackle a lot of tasks on the FL2- but not any that require a laptop Jules

Post #397824 3rd Oct 2020 9:30 pm
Unbeliever

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

@Vanny,

Quote:
If the circuit is open (creating the DTC), then assuming you haven't forgotten to plug them in, they've been in a crash. You need to look closely at the old and new one and you'll find the bearings have been fired and the cable pulled into the mech.

If I ever get the car back on-line I'll have the seat out and fully examine the electrics/mechanics of it and transfer whatever I need to of my known good seat

Today's 2nd update:

In the pi55ing down rain today I managed to test all the fuses and relays in the 3 fuse boxes...there are 111 of them in all and they were ALL intact.

(Whilst testing I managed to drop F1 down into the abyss Embarassed . It's the fuse that's not a fuse. Has a diode symbol on it. Says it's not used in the manual. Anyone know if it's needed? If so it looks like I'll be dropping the engine under-shield off when it next stops raining Banging Head )

I say I tested them all but I didn't test the engine box fuses which run down the side of the fuse box (taking off the air intake in horizontal rain was beyond me...what a Censored design!). So that's F3 F4 and F16-21. F3 & F4 I believe are for the cooling fans and glow plugs so I assume wouldn't give the totally dead/no key response I'm seeing. F16-21 are the supplies for the other 2 fuse boxes and I tested these by looking at the 12v supply to those. I have the list in Excel format if anyone wants to see it? (Can't work out how to attach non-pictures)

Whilst testing the fuses I also checked the presence of power on either of the blade sockets for the fuse and found that around 60% of them had +12v on one or other terminal. Without checking each and every wiring diagram I assume the ones which weren't live are ignition-switched.

So we know we have 12v all around the car where it should be but still nothing from any lights/switches/keys.

I thought, sod-it. As it's knackered I can't do any more damage so I plugged the laptop back in and fired up SDD. To my surprise it connected and I was able to run a partial diagnostic.

2 new/additional DTC's were present (not tried clearing them yet):

U0300-00 RFA ECU (Keyless Vehicle Module) - Internal control module software incompatibility.
U0140-00 IPC ECU (Instrument Cluster Control Module) - Lost communication with body control module.
"Possible causes
CAN bus circuit fault.
Actions required
Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check the power and ground connections to the module.
Using the manufacturer approved diagnostic system, complete a CAN network integrity test.
Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check the CAN network between the Central Junction Box and Instrument Cluster."

There's also a list of ECU's not responding but I assume that this is due to the fact the car thinks its in locked/ignition-off mode. Those ECU's are:
ABS / BCM / DDM / PAM / PBM / PCM / RCM / SASM

I do have the session file(s) saved if there are any SDD/CCF experts out there who can help?

I also had a rummage around what the CCF programming would allow and it does appear that there are 3 versions of the CCF, the BCM one (Master), the IPC (Backup) and the AS-IS file (Original Config). The BCM config had a big red X next to it so I assume it is corrupt, but the other two had a green tick. There must be a way to load these but I couldn't work it out...then again not sure how I'd enable programming mode with the ignition inoperative. Again...I'm in need of an SDD/CCF expert methinks Sad

Post #397828 4th Oct 2020 1:05 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Well I suppose that’s a bit of progress.

Post #397829 4th Oct 2020 4:50 am
alex_pescaru

Exactly the (60A) fuses you've mentioned you didn't verify I was talking about... Very Happy
But if you say that you've checked the 12V on their destination, then I suppose they are OK.

As long as the BCM is not responding, then its CCF storage - which is the main repository - is not available. This is why the red X, not necessarily because it's corrupt.

You need to investigate a little more that KVM error...
Is the KVM responding? If yes, try to see which software version has now, if any at all.
If it's stuck in the booloader mode, try to update it's software to the original software.
Search in the session files in the SDD and see which version of software it originally has.

Post #397835 4th Oct 2020 8:32 am
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I think I'd be tempted to send a hard reset (22 11) to the BCM, but I'm not sure how you do that in SDD. That would force it to drop out of any programming mode and hopefully get it responding again.

Post #397837 4th Oct 2020 9:02 am
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
I know I wouldn’t try doing anything to the electronic parts of my car.
Mechanical - I’d do anything.

Post #397842 4th Oct 2020 10:35 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

What happens if you put the original seat(s) back in and connect them? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #397843 4th Oct 2020 10:41 am
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

ive no idea, i was even concerned that the computer would say no when i piggy backed a fuse to connect my dash cam.

Post #397856 4th Oct 2020 12:53 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

It sounds as though you've wiped the KVM...

I'm also going to assume that you've used an offline, out of date copy of SDD?

Post #397858 4th Oct 2020 1:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Unbeliever

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

Quote:
It sounds as though you've wiped the KVM...

I'm also going to assume that you've used an offline, out of date copy of SDD?

SDD is online and up-to-date version 160. Got my access code from https://www.vehcom.com/jlr/access-code/

Quote:

What happens if you put the original seat(s) back in and connect them?

I will do but don't want to start doing this till I have some sort of response from the instrument cluster/key-fob/lights...unless you think that the DSM is the cause of the issue?

Quote:

I definitely agree there, but I did a couple of weeks research before plucking up the courage to press the Big Red Button

Quote:
I think I'd be tempted to send a hard reset (22 11) to the BCM, but I'm not sure how you do that in SDD. That would force it to drop out of any programming mode and hopefully get it responding again.

Me neither. Does anyone on here have that knowledge? I'd be happy to give it a go with some direction?

Quote:

As long as the BCM is not responding, then its CCF storage - which is the main repository - is not available. This is why the red X, not necessarily because it's corrupt.

You need to investigate a little more that KVM error...
Is the KVM responding? If yes, try to see which software version has now, if any at all.
If it's stuck in the booloader mode, try to update it's software to the original software.
Search in the session files in the SDD and see which version of software it originally has.

How do I check the KVM/RFA module software version?
How do I know it's in bootloader mode?

Cheers again folks...all your help is much appreciated.

@SYFL2...I'm in Sheffield too, Stocksbridge to be precise. Don't suppose you know any local non-dealer SDD/CCF experts? Smile

Post #397861 4th Oct 2020 1:43 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I spotted this on internet. I have no idea if it is relevant but it mentions late model FL2s and programming of KVM.

JLR have identified a security vulnerability in the keyless ignition function and are now recalling all vehicles manufactured from 2013 to 2016 back to the workshop for a security update.

Attempting to program keys on these vehicles using ADS207 after the dealer update has happened, permanently disables the proximity function and the KVM (Keyless Vehicle Module) must be replaced.

Land Rover Evoque 2013+
Freelander 2 2013+
Range Rover Sport 2013+
Range Rover 2013+
Discovery 2013+
Jaguar 2013 + All models

Please note: if the 10th digit of the VIN number is the letter 'D' or later, please do not attempt to program keys

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post481441.html FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #397865 4th Oct 2020 4:19 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

To those, who like me, struggle to understand what all these TLAs (Three Letter Abbreviations) are, I have found a list.

ABS Control Module (ABS)
Auxiliary Heater Control Module (AHCM)
All Terrain Control Module (ATCM)
Body Control Module (BCM)
Drivers Door Module (DDM)
Drivers Seat Module (DSM)
Premium Front Controls Interface Module (FCDIM)
HEVAC Control Panel (FCIM)
Front Controls Interface Module B (FCIMB)
General Proximity Sensor Module (GPSM)
Gear Shift Module (GSM)
Gateway Module (GWM)
Headlamp Control Module (HCM)
Headlamp Control Module B (HCMB)
Remote Climate Control Module (HVAC)
Instrument Cluster Control Module (IPC)
Image Processing Module (IPMB)
Remote Function Actuator (Keyless Vehicle Module) (RFA)
Occupant Classification System Module (OCS)
Parking Aid Control Module (PAM)
Parking Brake Module (PBM)
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Passenger Door Control Module (PDM)
Passenger Seat Module (PSM)
Restraints Control Module (RCM)
Rear Differential Control Module (RDCM)
Ride Level Control Module (RLM)
Steering Angle Sensor Module (SASM)
Side Object Detection Left (SODL)
Side Object Detection Right (SODR)
Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM)
Transmission Control Module (TCM)
Steering Lock/Vehicle Immobiliser Module (VIM)
Audio Head Unit (LO-LINE) (AHU)
Audio Amplifier Module (AAM)
Audio Control Module (ACM)
DAB Module (DABM)
Rear Entertainment Control Module (REM)
Satellite Radio Module (SRM)
TV Module (TVM)
Navigation Control Module (NCM)

(edit
SDD Symptom Driven Diagnostics
IDS Integrated Diagnostic System )

I noticed that Vanny had a good write up about working with the CCF (Car Configuration File) back in June this year.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic34002.html

He seems to indicate the need for a good clean copy of the CCF to be reliably loaded.

And picking up on what dorsetfreelander says - are we sure that any triggering of Restraint System won't disable the car anyway until bits are replaced and/or reset? FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Last edited by IanMetro on 4th Oct 2020 10:48 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #397870 4th Oct 2020 5:43 pm
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

WTF is missing.

Post #397876 4th Oct 2020 6:50 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Unbeliever wrote:

Quote:

I definitely agree there, but I did a couple of weeks research before plucking up the courage to press the Big Red Button

I've been working with SDD for 12 years, bricked many cars, and still petrified of the damn thing. Bricked cars where normally recovered with engineering tools!

I was gonna say SDD stopped at 159. But I've just checked the genuine download site;
http://diagnosticdelivery.jlrext.com/idscentral/
And they have dropped a sunset 160 edition. Guess I need to update!

Post #397877 4th Oct 2020 6:55 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

We had to update to 160 last week Laughing

Post #397878 4th Oct 2020 7:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>