Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > cam belt change price
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

And as long as your not forced to change the car because of where you live. Hopefully the Khan Censored won't be around much longer and if the person I hope gets in, he has said he will scrap the ULEZ extension. Apologies for going off topic Thumbs Up 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #397432 25th Sep 2020 11:00 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Same here Milo, fine for ULEZ at the moment but like you being in SE London will be caught next year under present rules Sad
66 next June so hopefully retiring and able to find a way around the rules when that time comes

Post #397434 25th Sep 2020 11:08 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

jules wrote:
@Nodge

2hrs blimey ! Thats good.

What did you need to remove and in what order ? - Ive got to do mine soon.

You don't need to remove much really, however you do need the locking tools.
The starter needs to be removed, so you can get to the locking hole.
The timing covers need removing, which is only a few 10mm head bolts, however the crank pulley needs removing before the lower cover can be removed. The crank pulley could be difficult to remove, as its bolt is torqued up tight, and it's also a patch bolt, so will have bonded to the crank threads. I'm lucky as I have a battery buzz gun for that sort of thing, so removing it wasn't an issue.
There's no need for the engine mounts to be removed, as the belt runs around the bottom of the mount bracket. All that needs to be removed is the guide roller, which is secured by an E Torx bolt. The tensioner is also removed, which is just a 13mm nut.

The water pump needs replacing, which isn't anything more complicated than undoing half a dozen 8mm head bolts.

It's then just a case of replacing all the components you've removed, re-routing the belt and following the tensioning process.

It really isn't that difficult or time consuming to do, especially for an equipped workshop, where the technician has done the job a few times.

I did do at as part of a more extensive engine repair, as I had to repair the damage done by a previous mechanic dropping a nut in to the intake, which smashed a piston and made a mess of the head. Big Cry 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.

Post #397438 25th Sep 2020 11:49 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Steve D wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
Why garages charge so much for this is beyond me.

Did mine 2 weekends ago. Cost under £100 for a Dayco kit, and took around 2 hours to fit.

This was after repairing the engine, so it needed doing as part of the repair, but I can't see why it's such an expensive job, as it's not difficult or time consuming.

You’re having a laugh! "Doing it as a part of another repair". Changing the pump, tensioners and belt with everything off, no problem. Doing the job on its own from start to finish is another matter.

I did the timing belt twice. I repaired the engine, then checked the compression and the engine ran using the old belt. I then changed the belt fitting the new guide roller and tensioner. I'd already replaced the pump while the coolant was drained, but it's a 5 minute job to change the pump.

There's really nothing difficult about the DW12 engine timing belt replacement, being no different to any other PSA engine.
The only special tools that are needed before starting the job, are the timing pins and ring gear locking plate, and an E Torx to remove the guide roller bolt, but there's nothing really complicated about the job.

Now changing the timing belts on a Freelander 1 KV6, now that's a much more involved job, with a lot less room to work in.

As for belt replacement costs at a garage. It's a £300 + VAT job, which should include OE replacement parts.

Garages charging £600+ are taking the micky. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.

Post #397439 25th Sep 2020 12:12 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Cheers Nodge -I find all that very encouraging. Jules

Post #397450 25th Sep 2020 3:28 pm
Milothedog

Came across this video which I thought was quite good and has some good info Thumbs Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdnjSk_ckA 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep

Post #397485 26th Sep 2020 9:58 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Re: cam belt change price

Milothedog wrote:
john doddy wrote:
morning all

just booked my 2012 sd4 in for a cam belt change £574.00 ; seems reasonable to me ; is that the going rate ? Landrover services in bristol

That's main stealer money. Is that using the LR kit with belt,water pump and tensioner?

Had mine done in July by a LR authorised repairer. £630 (water pump inc) and the A service. Not cheap, but like all LR work comes with a 2 year guarantee on parts and labour.

Milo, you have pm

Post #398087 9th Oct 2020 3:21 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Id be keen to try a timing belt change myself, I'm a fairly competent DIY mechanic with a range of tools. Always dread getting it wrong, timing out and making a mess of my engine which tends to put me off and get a garage to do it.
What are everyone's experience of DIY changes? Should I do this myself? SD4 will be 7 next year so due on age. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #398088 9th Oct 2020 3:49 pm
Milothedog

Good link on doing It I posted above Thumbs Up 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep

Post #398089 9th Oct 2020 4:06 pm
Milothedog

Re: cam belt change price

Sidthecat wrote:
Milothedog wrote:
john doddy wrote:
morning all

just booked my 2012 sd4 in for a cam belt change £574.00 ; seems reasonable to me ; is that the going rate ? Landrover services in bristol

That's main stealer money. Is that using the LR kit with belt,water pump and tensioner?

Had mine done in July by a LR authorised repairer. £630 (water pump inc) and the A service. Not cheap, but like all LR work comes with a 2 year guarantee on parts and labour.

Milo, you have pm

You have a reply. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep

Post #398090 9th Oct 2020 4:07 pm
jules

Bobupndown wrote:
Id be keen to try a timing belt change myself, I'm a fairly competent DIY mechanic with a range of tools. Always dread getting it wrong, timing out and making a mess of my engine which tends to put me off and get a garage to do it.
What are everyone's experience of DIY changes? Should I do this myself? SD4 will be 7 next year so due on age.

Once you've locked the flywheel and cam shaft you cant really loose the timing. Mine is 7 years old next year and I will DIY it.

I like the the additional check of putting two marks on the cam belt and the corresponding cam and crank sprocket teeth and then mark corresponding teeth on the new belt when the old belt is placed alongside. The marks on the new belt must then line up with the marks on the cam and crank sprocket teeth.

Also the fact that the engine mount does not need removing is a help. Jules

Post #398098 9th Oct 2020 9:30 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Good tip jules, I'll maybe buy the locking pins and give it a go next year. Thumbs Up Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #398110 10th Oct 2020 8:25 am
Cherokee

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

I've got a set of locking pin/flywheel tools that anyone can borrow (for the price of the postage) if they want?

I did the cambelt/waterpump change myself earlier this year (March) after much research, YouTube & looking on here etc. After a bit of trepidation I took the plunge, I was quite surprised how straightforward the whole job is & pleasantly satisfied that the job was done correctly plus saving myself about £500.

If anyone is interested in the genuine offer to borrow the tools please PM me to arrange.

Cheers
Brian Cool

Post #398122 10th Oct 2020 10:14 am
jules

Bobupndown wrote:
Good tip jules, I'll maybe buy the locking pins and give it a go next year. Thumbs Up

Thats what Im going to do. Jules

Post #398123 10th Oct 2020 10:44 am
Bobbster

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Mauritius Blue

I just got two Quotes today for my Landrover SD4 2013, using Landrover parts quotes came in at £660 to £730 and they not main dealer!!!!

Post #398374 15th Oct 2020 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>