Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > The beginning of the end ....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
The beginning of the end ....

I received my first reminder from our fleet office today that I should start thinking about my next vehicle change. I know from bitter experience that some of the admin processes in the supply chain can take forever so I guess they're covering themselves by sending out the reminder six months before end of contract. But allowing for researching the new vehicle then all the admin then I'm sure the time will fly by ...

Strange it doesn't seem like two minutes since I first registered with this site to ask question before ordering the current motor. Now I'm looking at other owners forums to start the whole process again! Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #34085 5th Jan 2009 11:49 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I can honestly say it been a pleasure

By the sounds from whats previously been said the FL2 is out of the ball park Big Cry

So when the time comes, and if your passing our way feel free to pop in and say hi Very Happy

Likewise if you fancy a little bit of off roading and a events on feel free to ask if there is a seat available Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Last edited by npinks on 6th Jan 2009 10:34 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #34087 6th Jan 2009 12:13 am
avtur

I'm sure I'll have plenty to report before the car goes back ...

Such as cold start gremlins, the recent cold spell has seen a warning for a HDC malfunction appear about 1 in 3 starts.

The glow plugs have become very inconsistent, I've cold started as low as -5c and the plugs have not operated also at +1c and the plugs have operated ??

Cranking at -5c without plugs is very sluggish Shocked

Then there's matter of still not having and alarm Shocked there was a problem with the battery back up which is built into the sounder; the only way to stop the alarm sounding erratically day and night was to remove the sounder; still waiting for the part to arrive in stock ... Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #34094 6th Jan 2009 1:14 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

avtur wrote:

Such as cold start gremlins, the recent cold spell has seen a warning for a HDC malfunction appear about 1 in 3 starts.

The glow plugs have become very inconsistent, I've cold started as low as -5c and the plugs have not operated also at +1c and the plugs have operated ??

Cranking at -5c without plugs is very sluggish Shocked

Then there's matter of still not having and alarm Shocked there was a problem with the battery back up which is built into the sounder; the only way to stop the alarm sounding erratically day and night was to remove the sounder; still waiting for the part to arrive in stock ...

avtur - The first three remarks do not seem to be any reason at all to down rate the FL2 and in fact they seem like normal working features that you have misinterpreted as errors or problems Shocked In fact if you have read what Viking mentioned that it can take from 30 – 45 secs. To start in cold weather and mine always sends some sort of message when cold starting, but start it does, so no worries. In addition you should not forget that ALL modern vehicles with complex electronics have problems – buy an Audi and you will know what I mean, and in my opinion the FL2 has considerably LESS electronic problems than most others. – Still if you choose away from LR then the best of luck to you as I think you will need it Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #34098 6th Jan 2009 8:12 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Avtur,

Is this website of any use to you Question +

http://www.thevanwebsite.co.uk/display_van...reelander/ ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #34142 6th Jan 2009 4:51 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

With all due respect: the reported problems could have easily been avoided by using the recommended addition of 2-T oil. Independent 100.000 km tests of the Freely 2 TD4 in Italy and Germany have concealed soot deposits on the turbo blades, the piezo injectors and the outlet valves, which has resulted in loss of power, starting problems and increased fuel consumption. The correct information and recommendation has been available on this Forum.

YF

Post #34217 7th Jan 2009 6:48 pm
avtur

AndyC wrote:
Still if you choose away from LR then the best of luck to you as I think you will need it Thumbs Up

Sorry, I think you misunderstand I am not moving away from Freelander because of these, or any other mechanical problems. I am moving away because of cost, nothing else. I am not choosing to go away from Freenlander, the car scheme I am in no longer provides the option of a Freelander for my grade of job.

Despite the gremlins this car has been more fun to own than any other over 36 years of driving. Also it has never brokendown (OK a couple of flat battery issues but even then that didn't stop me). Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #34218 7th Jan 2009 7:06 pm
avtur

Dave wrote:
Avtur,

Is this website of any use to you Question +

http://www.thevanwebsite.co.uk/display_van...reelander/

Many thanks for this link Dave, some good prices there.

Unfortunately the scheme I'm tied into is quite restrictive I don't have the flexibility to spend the money where I choose. I receive a good allowance for the car but can only use it in at one leasing outfit. Also, strange as this may seem, it is a condittion of receiving the allowance that it is used through the one provider.

My only option would be to fund it completely at my own cost, something I simply can't afford to do. Big Cry Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #34219 7th Jan 2009 7:16 pm
dick

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

avtur wrote:

Then there's matter of still not having and alarm Shocked there was a problem with the battery back up which is built into the sounder;

yamaha-fan wrote:
With all due respect: the reported problems could have easily been avoided by using the recommended addition of 2-T oil.

This 2-stroke oil must be pretty powerful stuff if it can stop an alarm sounder from malfunctioning! Smile

I wonder if it will stop my tyres wearing out too?

- Dick

Post #34234 8th Jan 2009 11:24 am
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

dick wrote:
avtur wrote:

Then there's matter of still not having and alarm Shocked there was a problem with the battery back up which is built into the sounder;

yamaha-fan wrote:
With all due respect: the reported problems could have easily been avoided by using the recommended addition of 2-T oil.

This 2-stroke oil must be pretty powerful stuff if it can stop an alarm sounder from malfunctioning! Smile

I wonder if it will stop my tyres wearing out too?

- Dick

Oh it is !

Since using 2T oil - my car stays cleaner, my tyres keep the correct inflation pressure & the radio sounds better.

Anyone else noticed extra-beneficial effects from 2T oil Thumbs Up

Post #34237 8th Jan 2009 11:39 am
alxx

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Don't take an Audi

http://accident-audi-q7.skynetblogs.be/

Post #34241 8th Jan 2009 2:22 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

It is confirmation of what I have been saying for a long time. The car with the most problems on the planet today must be Audi. In Norway they call them Auda which sort of means OUCH!
They are just crap Shocked 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #34249 8th Jan 2009 6:38 pm
graemehunter

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I Know how Avtur feels, I haven't been around the site for a while but the 2 years are up & i'm getting rid of my freelander 2 SE ( 32000 miles).
i'd set myself a budget & had test drives in range rover sports, lexus rx 400hs, Audi's , volvo xc-70s & 90s, full fat range rovers & throwing caution to the wind a quattroporte s.
the outcome ?
a 2009 HSE auto Freelander 2 diesel arrives next week, the differences over the se being auto box, full leather, dab radio & a full size spare alloy.
I just can't believe how good the fl2 se has been, ( ive had s2's ,90's, disco 2's & a Disco 3 before the downsize in jan 2007)
i've had battery failures, non starts & a leaky high vis brake light,
but pound for pound, when i sit in city traffic, horse it round silly wee roads & do London in 6 1/2 hours fully loaded at 30+mpg I just can't see further than this car,
I know I'm going to have snagging issues with it, it's a landrover after all, but I pay less insurance, less road tax & i can sleep soundly at night knowing that it may just help reinforce the brilliance of British manufacturing,
hell! i look forward to my first non-start!
best wishes to all early adopters & if the lottery numbers come up I AM getting a Qauttroporte S too. whatever she says !
btw black se SH**WYM at Taggarts Motherwell in a couple of weeks, serviced & looked after ( even off-road!)

G

Post #34945 17th Jan 2009 10:23 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

well done keep up the buying British ..it is after all best Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #34951 17th Jan 2009 11:27 pm
avtur

Been out doing some serious looking today.

In an ideal world I'm looking for diesel - estate - auto .... due to restrictions imposed by company policy I'm looking at Jag X type, Mondeo, Volvo V50 and Volvo V70.

Looked at them all today, I'd love to have the Jag on the drive, but the 'boot space isn't as big as it could be. I've got a V50 Powershift auto to test for four days next weekend but after today I'm really taken to the V70. Unfortunately I can't stretch to an auto on the V70 but when you sit in it it has a certain feel good factor, just like the FL2, I can see me compromising on the auto !! (and of course the V70 is a great tow car - sorry CG the 'van is staying ...)

Watch this space .... Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #35990 2nd Feb 2009 12:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>