Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > The beginning of the end ....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
MudBug

Ireland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

We appear to be going in opposite directions, Avtur.

I'm driven a V50 for the last two and a half years and am about to take delivery of my first FL - not lucky enough to be on a company scheme though Sad

I'd just like to say that it's been a very reliable and enjoyable car to own, on our roads, at least. It's only because of a big price drop that I'm able to own a FL (still twice the price compared to the UK at current exchange rates) otherwise I would probably buy another V50.

Given your options I'd be more than happy to buy the V70. It's an excellent car to drive and should the need arise a 6+ footer can, reasonably comfortably, sleep in the back - and even entertain company...

Borrowed one for a trip to Italy and was more than impressed with it's abilities when driving through the Alps.

And, with the end of the recession, you will still be able to hold your head up when you trade-in for your new Landie Cool

Although CG may recommend that you wear sackcloth and ashes when you do so.

Post #37517 21st Feb 2009 4:21 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

AndyC wrote:
Buy British and support the British ecconomy. Now is the time to really consider which direction you send your hard earned cash. Even buy buying a British built Honda is better than buying Swedish Sad

I understand your sentiment but the British brigade are making it VERY difficult. I made contact with my appointed Jag dealer over two weeks ago to arrange a weekend demo. Yesterday I got a call from the sales guy who was extremely apologetic but had to inform me he could not get hold of an X type corporate demo car. Jaguar contract out their demo fleet operation (as do most manufacturers) however they accepted a bid from a company who offered an impossibly low price ... that company has gone bump. Another company has been appointed but they at 6's & 7's and cannot provide a car.

Seems to me that Jaguar are doing a great job of shooting themselves in the foot, if they can't provide a corporate demo fleet then they really do have problems.

Its a crying shame. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #37532 21st Feb 2009 9:26 pm
avtur

Just had a weekend with a Volvo V50 R-Design, nice motor, very strange driving with your bum so close to the ground and such small exterior mirrors! Shocked

One nice touch was a whole load of parameters for lights, alarm, windows etc which could be adjusted from the 'information centre' built into the ICE interface, it would even tell you what the VIN number was.

Nice touch on the auto wipers was first they worked very well, but were activated by a none latching push button. Which meant they reset when the ignition was turned off, so no annoying dry wipes when turning the ignition on!

Demonstrator was somewhat over spec'd compared with what I might actually buy, have to do a reality check and work out what my car would really be like.

This was my first experience driving with Xenon's, wow, they were great but came with an option pack at £975 ouch!

Still no sign of a Jag demo Big Cry Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #37675 25th Feb 2009 2:12 pm
avtur

Avtur ... the defector ...

Well, I've just had a Mazda 6 diesel estate for a weekend, quite an impressive motor. Somewhat lighter than the FL2 and with 165 donkeys up front it was pretty quick off the mark. It cornered completely flat and felt like it was on rails a very different driving experience to the FL2. I covered over 500 miles in it in a couple of days, there's no getting away from the awkward feeling you get when driving with your bum just a few inches of the ground ... Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #39288 24th Mar 2009 9:26 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Avtur ... the defector ...

avtur wrote:
Avtur ... the defector ...
Well, I've just had a Mazda 6 diesel estate for a weekend

........the traitor, by choosing Japanese Shocked . Buy British and save the counties workforce Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #39292 24th Mar 2009 10:10 am
avtur

My only real option to buy British is an X type Jaguar. I'm now SIX weeks on from my first contact with Jaguar about arranging a demo car, they simply can’t find one. It’s a complete joke, the Jaguar corporate demo fleet is in disarray.

X type production comes to an end in July 2010, I think they have given up on the model already.

Anyway it doesn’t matter I’ve just been driving a V70 2.0D for a few days, what a terrific car. This is the one I will choose to replace the FL2. Certainly it misses out on the ‘command’ driving position, but in many other ways it does live up to the FL2. It is a beautiful smooth drive, very comfortable. It may even be described as an old man’s armchair on wheels, I can live with that.

In terms of practicality for the Avtur family it has more space than you can imagine, it is a very comfortable five seater which means its good as the family taxi, it will also be used for driver training at work where the space for five hairy arsed truck drives (that includes me) will be very useful.

The ‘standard’ kit in the base SE model is very good, We’ll miss the FL2 but the V70 will offer many great features. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #39453 26th Mar 2009 10:21 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Cue for song."Good bye, good bye, we wish you all alas good bye etc etc."

Seriously you will love the Volvo as my pal has one and have to say it is not bad off road if the tracks are not too rutted and it tows a caravan superbly which will not please CG.

Bill Turner. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #39467 27th Mar 2009 9:05 am
AndyC

Bill Turner wrote:
Cue for song."Good bye, good bye, we wish you all alas good bye etc etc."

Seriously you will love the Volvo as my pal has one and have to say it is not bad off road if the tracks are not too rutted and it tows a caravan superbly which will not please CG.

Bill Turner.

Laughing ......sorry Bill, but here you you are quite wrong Shocked
The V70 is defiantly NOT an off road car in any way. Gravel tracks are about its limit. It is no more than a family estate car of which there are loads of choices out there.

Best of luck with your choice avtur, but I can guess you will defiantly miss the Freely in no time Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #39469 27th Mar 2009 9:26 am
muddywheels

England 

I had an x-type Jag estate before my FL2 - I would not recommend one!

Suspension wth driver only was average..... but with wife and kids left me unable to walk due to every bump jarring through seat - not to mention if you put dog or shopping in boot.... Big Cry

Also found it lethal in snow Crying or Very sad

Expected 47 mpg but nearer 36 - same as FL2 Shocked

I would not swap my FL2 Thumbs Up

Post #39545 27th Mar 2009 6:29 pm
avtur

Thanks Muddywheels,

Jaguar have all but ruled themselves out of the possibilities, after six weeks they can't even supply a demonstrator ...

I'm going to be a Volvo man .... Mrs Avtur is about to go out and buy me a flat cap, pipe and slippers ... I can live with that ...

The Mazda I tested was very much a drivers car, very quick with razor sharp handling, but somehow the Volvo was a more relaxed drive. What with speed cameras everywhere and the cost of fuel the Volvo seems the more sensible option ...

I can't believe I just said that ... probably an age thing (mid 50's!) Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #39553 27th Mar 2009 8:19 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

AVTUR it is with deep regret old chum I see you leavin the ranks of us FL2 owners. I have chosen not to upset myself by reading the four pages of threads associated with your demise. The only salvation I have is to have met you at Tong whilst you were an avid FL2 owner and the foxy Mrs Avtur assured me she would maintain you as a fun happy go lucky chap, despite the onset of dementia. The fact she will buy you an old mans cap and slippers etc (i think i noticed from a thread) assures me of her loyalty to you and us the FL2 crew....so it is with my last saddening words I wish you well in the new Volvo veneered curvy ply carehome you are entering and ask you never, with Foxy Mrs Avtur's assurances, NEVER forget us as you are spoon fed your porridge and have a bed bath by your Volvo service dept.

Pray we have a minutes silence for one of our most respected and loved members in his duskful days....flowers and donations kindly sent to the Land Rover Recovery fund at Tong...or Mrs Avturs new knicker drawer Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Keep in touch big fella!! Thumbs Up and keep control of that right foot, I do not want to see sub 40 mpg averages Bow down Bow down

Post #39627 28th Mar 2009 9:30 pm
CY

Scotland 

We bought one of the last previous gen V70s last year and it's been fantastic. We've considered upgrading but reckon that it's not worth it because anything, perhaps bar a new V70, would be lacking in one or more areas. It's the T5 260bhp engine which does 0-60 in just over 6 seconds ( Thumbs Up ) and is in SE trim with TV, Sat Nav, Phone, Dolby sound, electric leather etc... ( Thumbs Up ).

It takes a summers worth of luggage in the boot and the seats are so well sculpted and designed that it has won Auto Express Most Comfortable car award for as long as I can remember. It's whisper silent on the motorway refined in town. Not everyone likes Volvo styling but we do - clean and contemporary. It takes the mountain bikes on the roof and does every job you could ever ask it to do, beautifully (bar, perhaps, the Suicide Hill at Tong Whistle ).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It's never stepped a foot out of line - this was the first time we bought a Volvo and don't regret it. If it's the new V70 you're getting then you'll absolutely love it :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #40351 12th Apr 2009 10:06 am
AndyC

POINT OF VIEW

The last posts are defiantly Off Topic

All NON Freelander 2 (excepting potential) owners should be encouraged to leave the forum including avtur whom is defecting from our midst. All posts from ex members/owners who are regretting their departure from owning one of the worlds best drives, should of course be allowed.

All NON Freelander 2 posts, including Volvo's, are of little interest to our forum unless it happens to be a direct comparison of another similar 4x4 vehicle. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #40369 13th Apr 2009 9:53 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Ill get the tank , we will soon have rid of that Volvo Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #40374 13th Apr 2009 10:51 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

so according to AndyC

Avtur, a long standing member should be banned, due to been forced out of his FL2, due to the company not allowing it on the list of cars he has to choose at the inevitable car swap time

he started a post, about the fact he had to leave the FL2 community, which would diverge into what he was going to choose, and have peoples opinions on the cars that would nearest meet his needs.

He has a short list and looks to have chosen the Volvo, CY a longer standing member of all the forums gives his opinion on the V70, as his family owns one (aswell as a D3 & Renault Confused )

Its a topic, that will widen to what car he has chosen, if you don't like it, simply don't read it Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #40378 13th Apr 2009 11:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>