« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > New Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 44 of 58 <123 ... 434445 ... 565758>
Print this entire topic · 
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Boxbrownie wrote:
I like the overall look of it....BUT......I do hope that massive plastic “roo bar” on the front is optional.......looks like a Carlos Fandango special..... Rolling with laughter

The steel one is better Very Happy
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Last edited by LR NUT on 17th Sep 2019 8:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #378454 17th Sep 2019 7:50 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

https://www.motor1.com/news/371134/land-ro...le-render/

Looks like someone had some time on their hands and photoshopped the new Defender as a convertible . There'll be a lot more engineering than simply removing the roof Rolling Eyes

Post #378460 17th Sep 2019 8:19 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
First decent Land Rover since the Freely2

Got to say that the new Defender far surpasses my expectations, so well done to the LR guys and gals - you are almost forgiven for the mediocre DS, the hideously ugly butt ended D5 and at least some of the other JLR corporate high crimes committed on the long and torturous route to this the first decent Land Rover since the Freely 2. No idea who will buy a utility vehicle at those asking prices but I hope enough people do and that it restores faith in the brand.

Post #378507 18th Sep 2019 11:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I am on my annual trip to my son's house in Kenya. So far I have seen two DS and one Evoque in Nairobi and two old Defenders. Outside the capital it's Jap vehicles everywhere. My hire car is Mitsubishi Pajero that is so old (it reads 150k kilometres but probably on its second time round) that it has a manual choke but yesterday I drove it for over 150 miles with over 50 miles on bone shaking dirt and rocky tracks. Later that evening I sat down with my tablet and watched some of the new Defender videos. What a joke! A Defender driving short distances over comparatively smooth terrain. It's clearly aimed at the leisure market and a world away from the realities of what you need out here. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #378512 19th Sep 2019 6:36 am
j77

Scotland 

Except the one that drove the 4000 miles to Frankfurt. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #378535 19th Sep 2019 3:30 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

dorsetfreelander wrote:
.....I drove it for over 150 miles with over 50 miles on bone shaking dirt and rocky tracks. Later that evening I sat down with my tablet and watched some of the new Defender videos. What a joke! A Defender driving short distances over comparatively smooth terrain. It's clearly aimed at the leisure market and a world away from the realities of what you need out here.

I have been driving over a lot of this lately. Even at 24psi it doesn't save you. Then there are the roads covered in rocks. I just have to tippy toe over those with my 18 inch rims.

2000 km of 'bone shaking dirt and rocky' Gazzetted Roads, another roof rack bolt breaking, seeing two D4 out of the dozen I've seen with flat tyres on 19 inch rims, & it's 99.99% Toyota in the outback. A Land Rover with 'poodle rims' is the wrong vehicle for the outback!

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #378545 19th Sep 2019 9:20 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Anything with rims above 17" isn't going to survive long. 20" rims are really for posers (DS has 19").

The tyres also make a massive difference, managed to destroy a General Grabber AT3 in Morocco and had a puncture in a second on the same trip, but the Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar sidewalls withstood similar abuse without a puncture.

Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #378585 20th Sep 2019 5:04 pm
dorsetfreelander

If anyone is interested this is what is fitted to my Kenya Mitsubishi Pajero hire car. They look pretty chunky and on 16" wheels.

3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #378606 21st Sep 2019 7:55 am
oldseadog

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Something I wasn't aware of....https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feature...-never-was -------------------------------------------------------------
1965 Series IIa Safari LWB White - gone
1982 RR 2 door Sahara dust - gone
2000 Freelander 1 3 door white gold - gone
1995 Discovery 1 200Tdi Biaritz Blue - gone
2009 FL2 TD4 HSE Stornoway Grey

Post #378923 27th Sep 2019 11:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dorsetfreelander

Just got back from this year's trip to Kenya driving an ageing (with manual choke) hired Mitsubishi Pajero I did 1600km. I took it back to the hire company and was talking to the guy who runs the business and commented on the fact that they didn't have any LandRover cars on their books and most were Toyota or Mitsubishi. "Oh we get people in Nairobi driving Range Rovers and Discos around town - usually UN or embassy diplomatic plates and we used to have some Defenders that we hired out but not any more". I asked what he thought about the new Defender and whether he might consider getting any and his response was "are you serious? I wouldn't want the hassle of someone having a problem with a thing like that out on safari and having to go and tow them back to Nairobi, I want cars that are rugged and simple to fix by local guys" 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #379454 7th Oct 2019 8:56 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

So are we to assume that African countries will be allowed to ignore climate change (If it exists) and continue to use old polluting vehicles moving forward. If so why should other countries bother about it. African in particular has massive problems with drought , famine, extreme weather etc. Shouldn`t they be trying to lead change rather than deciding to remain as far in the past as they can in terms of technology just because they continue to use the excuse that simple is better. Whistle

Post #379456 7th Oct 2019 9:17 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Look at the reality of life in Africa. Extreme poverty is widedspread and if anyone thinks most African countries, goverments and individuals can afford a new Defenders then you are living in cloud cookoo land. Poverty is why they have to use what they have, and yes they do need to do what they can about climate change as we, the developed west do but we are in a far better position to do something about it. If you want some examples of how poverty affects Africa there are some good examples here https://cafod.org.uk/

J

Post #379458 7th Oct 2019 9:33 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

I have seen first hand how poor parts of Africa are and lack of money will be the main reason that old vehicles will continue to be the mainstream there for many many years to come. However a solution to that will need to be found eventually even if it means that richer countries have to pay. Politicians will all agree that the health of the planet is more important than the health and well being of its inhabitants!

Post #379459 7th Oct 2019 9:43 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

When I was out in Kenya back in the eighties/Nineties, Toyota was just starting to flood the country with their motors, at almost giveaway costs,
BUT they did start setting up a number of proper service and parts centres, which in a diverse country like Kenya is a big plus for encouraging future sales, unlike some makers Whistle
this in my opinion is where LR really let themselves down,
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #379460 7th Oct 2019 9:52 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

dondiddy wrote:
So are we to assume that African countries will be allowed to ignore climate change (If it exists) and continue to use old polluting vehicles moving forward.

We have several L200 and a Navara on the farm in Norfolk, they are all (except one) EU6 compliant and never see a dealer between oil changes, wouldn’t dream if using a Landrover (unfortunately) just not worth the hassle.

Not quite the same as the African bush but newer Toyota and Nissans WILL be just as reliable, it’s easy to fix a broken spring, bent steering arm, fractured chassis member than repair a puncture on a suspension airbag, dismantle and repair an electric steering rack or weld back the ripped off spring seat on a monocoque body.......

Laughing Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #379462 7th Oct 2019 10:18 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 44 of 58 <123 ... 434445 ... 565758>