Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > All this talk of watches...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 22 <123 ... 91011 ... 202122>
Print this entire topic · 
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Omega and even Rolex are not high-end watches. Positively trash according to some. Middle of the road at best but as you say, each to their own. I suppose some people would call Landrovers an expensive non-necessity for 99% of all owners. I’d class myself in that 99% but that’s what you go out and earn money for - to do and buy things you enjoy. Some would call them vices. I suppose everyone on here has something that others would call an expensive non-necessity? iPhone perhaps when an Android or even a bog standard phone would do? A foreign holiday when a weekend at Butlins would suffice? Living in a 3 or 4 bed house when the kids have left home when a 1 bed would do? Buying clothes from Gant instead of Primark? Shopping at Waitrose instead of Aldi or Lidl? I could go on forever. I’m sure we are all guilty of extravagance in someone’s eyes but what can you do, live like a monk to please others? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Last edited by Steve D on 21st Nov 2018 10:22 am. Edited 4 times in total

Post #360799 20th Nov 2018 11:09 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Good point Steve. In terms of watches, I believe Patek Phillipe are one of the top end brands with price tags for the very wealthy people. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #360801 20th Nov 2018 11:36 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

This video explains the desirability of Rolex for some. Not my cup of tea. Rolling Eyes

Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #360810 21st Nov 2018 9:14 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

On the subject of price perception I live near a small hotel with a very smart restaurant. My neighbour (who lives next door to it) recently overheard a conversation outside the kitchen and it went something like "yes I know that the wine is crap but if we don't charge more then the punters won't buy it" 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #360812 21st Nov 2018 10:22 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

That's true I suppose. I remember reading someone's autobiography and they were saying that when they were young, their grandparents had a greengrocers shop. They'd buy a sack of spuds, tip half in one bin and mark them up at 3d per lb and the other half in another bin, call them 'best spuds' and mark them up at 4d per lb. The more expensive ones sold out first! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #360813 21st Nov 2018 10:32 am
davep1

I bought this from watchco some time ago. The originals, made by Omega in the 1960's, now cost big bucks but this, made with a 1960's movement and omega spares off the shelf was much cheaper and can be worn every day. I don't know what they sell for now.

Post #360816 21st Nov 2018 12:03 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

That’s nice. I remember reading about the Watchco Seamasters. Very good value. Don’t think you can buy them anymore, they must have used up most of the stock of cases and crystals by now. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #360823 21st Nov 2018 2:08 pm
davep1

It's the one I wear most now. I have a few watches but they are all pretty old now and it's and more difficult to find parts for if damaged.

Post #360829 21st Nov 2018 3:18 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
USSR Aviator/Cosmonaut's Chronograph Mechanical Watch

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I was surprised to read in this weeks Autocar that the above watch has risen in value well above £500.

It is a USSR Aviator/Cosmonaut's Chronograph Mechanical Watch (19 jewel movement type 3017).
These watches were first issued to the Soviet Military around 1959, and produced under the names of Strela, then Pojot (from 1964), and Sekonda in the 1970s. These watches were the official flight gear used by Soviet Pilots for the accurate measurement whilst flying. They were also issued to Cosmonauts until the end of production in 1979.

I searched around in the back of my cupboards and found this watch which I had discarded in the early 1980s. I wound it up and it still works.

I had needed the accurate stopwatch for work, and I replaced it eventually with an early 1980s Casio battery analogue dialled watch with a digital date/stopwatch/alarm display (for about £16).

https://www.casio.co.uk/products/timepiece...0A-1DMQYES

I still use this design to this day, although I usually buy it from Argos for £29.99.

Not sure now what to do about my possible new found wealth? FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #362060 16th Dec 2018 4:16 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

The Doctor wrote:
Called in at the jewellers today and after looking at various options, I’ve decided I would like this for Christmas. The family are giving me cash towards it and I’ll front the balance. Will be placing a deposit but waiting until Christmas to collect and have it fitted. A nice festive trip into town for something special.

Supporting the local retailer as well. Green & Benz in Chesterfield who only have one other branch up in Sheffield.

Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Well it only seems like 2 minutes since I placed a deposit on this. My next set at work starts on Wednesday until Saturday then I’m done for Christmas. So on Sunday morning, I’m taking the train to Chesterfield (traffic and parking will be hideous) to collect and get the watch adjusted accordingly! Plus I’m meeting some friends in town for some fine ales! Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #362064 16th Dec 2018 6:28 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

About time Dave. Although you ordered that 4 months ago, you started this thread over a year and a half ago and that’s not the watch you were first going to get! That’s the thing with watches if you take your time buying them - you often end up with something different from your first choice. I liked your first choice but I like that one better - date at 4.00 is different and the polished bracelet is dressier. Will look (and feel) great on a nato strap in the summer. Enjoy. Thumbs Up

Post #362071 16th Dec 2018 7:50 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Indeed Thumbs Up

I’ll ask the jewellers about Nato straps. For their customers, they may change the strap for only a small fee if not free. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #362077 16th Dec 2018 8:49 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Buy yourself a spring bar tool and you can chop and change as often as you like. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #362091 16th Dec 2018 10:10 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I’ll look into that Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #362096 16th Dec 2018 11:55 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I had an invite to my local Omega boutique last week to show off some watches. Was very interesting as they had people there giving talks/demonstrations on watch building/ceramics/co-axial movements etc. Plenty of free champagne too - I left my wife to go round the shops as she has NFI in watches which was just as well as I certainly couldn’t have driven home afterwards! No hard sell but I did try on numerous watches. I quite liked the De Ville, one of their cheapest watches, and I might just get one of those next year but not at their prices. I’ll have to try it on over a period of months though to be sure. They did have one watch which was bloody expensive for an Omega and in my view, I think it cheapened the brand. Proper piece of diamond encrusted tat it was!

De Ville:

And a bit of bling that a rap star would be proud of. Rolling Eyes

Post #362147 17th Dec 2018 10:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 22 <123 ... 91011 ... 202122>