Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Magnetic Vehicle Protection Project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

It give me the idea to get some latex body paint from Ann Summers for Mrs NP Laughing

I wouldn't want to paint/spray anything on the car though, as i am looking more towards things like the scratches the paint gets when getting too close to brambles and bushes, latex may tear off if caught

Good idea though Idea

Found the magnetic 10m roll for half the price i originally saw it too Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Last edited by npinks on 1st Nov 2008 10:26 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #30245 1st Nov 2008 12:16 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

What are you testing tommorrow/today wdw?

nice little vid such a shame at the end it was merely a grey underneath Whistle (with orange side indicators I might add Laughing )

NP give up with the magnet thing now before we ask Martin to remove you from your mod post due to mental instability Confused At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #30247 1st Nov 2008 2:22 am
djhampson

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red

Sounds like a great idea NP!

I would be covering the magnetic role with some form of clear plastic to protect IT from scratching your paintwork as you put it on and off.

I remember when I was working for a computer company the boss had a van with a magnetic sign for down the side. He would take the sign off on weekends etc, but it ended up leaving a noticeable mark where the sign was. Looking closer there were tiny tiny scratches where the sheet 'slipped' as it was put on and off.

He ended up covering the sign in clear contact (not sure if you use that term but we use it down here to cover kids school books etc). This stuff is clear and quite soft so it seemed to protect the paintwork a bit.

Saying that the magnetic sign was great because you could throw it on any car if needed and it NEVER came off. Was quite surprising how strong the magnetic hold was onto the car.

Another thought I just had would be to match the hard lines in the bodywork with the edges of your magnet. Reason being that the sign we had was quite hard to get on straight because once the entire area is in contact with the car you can't rotate it or move it (wouldn't want to either = scratches). Being able to line the sheet up against a clear line on the car would make fitting easy. 2007 TD4 SE

Post #30249 1st Nov 2008 2:34 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the reply DJH.. At least somebody thinks its a good idea apart from me Rolling Eyes Laughing

My idea is to make paper templates out of large paper, then transfer these to the magnetic sheets

Cut around them (hopefully) giving the correct size for the cars panels taking into account curves and this will allow me to cut out door handles and air vents too

Been vehicle grade magnets I should be able to apply them prior the car getting dirty (Maybe Bjartin could confirm whens best Whistle ), if the trip isn't too far away, if not a quick spray with a quick detailer spray should remove any dust

wash, dry and then apply is the moto Very Happy

I am also going to looking into vinyl sheets to make them a different colour than the fridge white that they seem to come in. (my office managers father works for a sign making firm so i'll see what option i have, maybe urban camo effect Whistle )

And obviously these would have to have the WWW.FREEL2.COM site logo on them too Cool

Hopefull things will pan out okay and i'll have them sorted for Keilder forest, (well atleast a 'Mach 1' prototype), but with Christmas and a Snowboarding trip and painting some of the house i'm not sure when i will get the time Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Last edited by npinks on 1st Nov 2008 10:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #30253 1st Nov 2008 3:19 pm
djhampson

I'll be interested to follow how you go..

Down here in Oz we have Lantana which grows like wildfire and leaves lovely scratches in your paintwork...

I normally try to follow a D3 or Defender when I go 4WDing cause they're a bit wider but you still get horrible marks down the side of the car. 2007 TD4 SE

Post #30257 1st Nov 2008 10:05 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have emailed a company and depending on what the response is i will be placing a order for a 610mm x 10m roll of white gloss. (I want Matt Grey or Black if possible Whistle )

Quick measurements(this evening in the dark) are 3.8m of bodywork to cover front to back with a maximum height of 680mm on each side (so the door maybe in a couple of pieces)

Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Last edited by npinks on 2nd Nov 2008 1:05 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #30258 1st Nov 2008 10:24 pm
chicken george

At work
At home

Last edited by chicken george on 2nd Nov 2008 1:08 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #30259 2nd Nov 2008 12:59 am
wdw

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

[quote="chicken george"]What are you testing tommorrow/today wdw?

[quote]

Manual GS. Now have to wait to see what the dealer can come up with. GS/XS?

Bill

Post #30260 2nd Nov 2008 1:04 am
shar

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

CG ......he really is a cutie and reading from such a young age, what a clever little boy....Must take after Mrs CG Wink

Post #30261 2nd Nov 2008 1:49 am
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Remember to wash the plates/sheets before and after use, and the car before the use of the plates/sheets.

Mine is properly secured to the body, but I have not tested out how high speed they can withstand.

Here are some "magnetic" pages:

(Try translating by google)

http://www.pellicolaprotettiva.it/pellicol...intro.html

http://www.isofilm.it/template.php?pag=24136

http://www.vpsprotection.co.za/Homepage/homepage.html

http://www.metaldet.it/calamite.htm#identificatore
(click on “fogli”) LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #30263 2nd Nov 2008 9:37 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the link Bjartin

Thought about the film protection, but think the magentic option will be cheaper more durable

Don't suppose you fancy tracing out some templates of yours on some large paper & popping it in the post Whistle Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #30265 2nd Nov 2008 11:10 am
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

npinks wrote:
i have emailed a company and depending on what the response is i will be placing a order for a 610mm x 10m roll of white gloss. (I want Matt Grey or Black if possible Whistle )

Looks like an ideal opportunity for the greys to pretend that they have a black Rolling with laughter 

Post #30266 2nd Nov 2008 11:22 am
djhampson

christian138 wrote:
npinks wrote:

Looks like an ideal opportunity for the greys to pretend that they have a black Rolling with laughter

BAH! I just want to keep my Rimini Red looking as damm good as it does! 2007 TD4 SE

Post #30267 2nd Nov 2008 11:26 am
chicken george

just stick this stuff on the car 'job done' http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARPET-PROTECTOR-SEL...dZViewItem At work
At home

Post #30268 2nd Nov 2008 12:53 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I thought about that, but decided that the adhesive might remain on the car, especially in hot conditions like a tong in June it was 32c at one point

Might speak to a friend in the building trade who might be able to get me a roll, might be good to make the templates with Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #30270 2nd Nov 2008 2:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>