Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > What are the Differences between FA and LF variants ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Leccietech

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
What are the Differences between FA and LF variants ?

I notice there appear to be 2 variants of Freelander 2 (in among the plethora of Model and Engine specs)

Can anyone tell me what these initials stand for and their significance?

Post #309523 23rd Oct 2016 9:45 pm
captin

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

been wondering that myself and could be in the vin number ?
mine is SALFA2 So could be either ?

someone must know ? and looks like you have just got a freelander 2 same as me. Very Happy

Post #309687 26th Oct 2016 3:44 am
Leccietech

Sure have, 2011 SD4 HSE Grey. Obviously s/h but runs nice . Fairly new to me at the moment and follows two Honda CRV's.

I will have a look at my V5 and see if it makes sense of these letter groups. Meanwhile, thanks for the reply. maybe we will get to hear from another member with a bit of 'insider' knowledge ?

Post #309709 26th Oct 2016 12:40 pm
taztastic

England 

This might help

Post #309712 26th Oct 2016 1:11 pm
Still Lost in France

France 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

According to http://www.landroverresource.com/docs/LR_VIN_Coding.pdf there is not a FA or LF in the 4th and 5th location although mine is SALFA and http://en.vindecoder.pl/ did decode it correctly

Try entering the complete number into http://en.vindecoder.pl/

Post #309715 26th Oct 2016 1:25 pm
Leccietech

Thanks for that Smile I checked my V5 and It says @ D.1 Make - Land Rover Then @ D.2 Type LF is this where the issue emanates from I wonder ? I 'guess' the LF = Land Rover Freelander ? Goodness knows what FA would equate to as a type.
The spreadsheet on VIN Codes was very helpful and proved to be accurate to my vehicle. Thanks folks. Very Happy

Post #309724 26th Oct 2016 4:10 pm
captin

Leccietech wrote:
Sure have, 2011 SD4 HSE Grey. Obviously s/h but runs nice . Fairly new to me at the moment and follows two Honda CRV's.

I will have a look at my V5 and see if it makes sense of these letter groups. Meanwhile, thanks for the reply. maybe we will get to hear from another member with a bit of 'insider' knowledge ?

we must have the same taste as I have just sold my 06 crv i ctdi exe after 3 + years of ownership
and many many trouble free miles apart from 1 injector
and bought 2008 freelander hse manual dark silver which I cant fault apart from the horn sounds
like its off noddys car !

Post #309754 27th Oct 2016 12:29 am
Leccietech

Hi Captin

I think you may be right. My CRV's were a 2009 iCTDI Manual followed by a 2012 iDTEC Automatic. Neither gave any trouble at all !00% reliable. The auto was brilliant and a real pleasure in Motorway traffic stop/start scenario's. I then had, briefly, a Volvo XC60 D5 Auto R-Design. Lovely car but had sports seats and suspension which gave my good lady grief (recovering from a severe hamstring injury) so it had to go. Hence the need for a change of motor. I had a Freelander 1 a few years back but was not impressed by its build quality and the quirky back door opening. The 2 version is a big improvement and I really love it so far. When I can get my wife up and about I hope she likes this one Cool I ramble too much .By the way, Air Horns are an easy fit on most cars and improve the standard Pip Squeak enormously.

Cheers

Post #309797 27th Oct 2016 11:02 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Given that the 'variant' code is given as LF could it be that someone has simply read their VIN number wrongly?

As far as I'm aware all FL2/LR2 should have VINs starting SALF, with the SAL indicating Land Rover and the F the model FL2/LR2. (That string ends with LF, which is why I suspect someone simply misread a VIN.)

The next character is the vehicle class - this is explained in the link Taz gives above, but basically for non-NAS vehicles indicates 4WD/2WD, and for NAS vehicles indicates the trim level (SE/HSE/etc).

So UK-spec 4WD FL2s should, I believe, always have VINs starting SALFA. UK 2WD SALFB, etc.

Post #309815 28th Oct 2016 9:24 am
Leccietech

Right. However the details were taken directly from the V5C and not just imagined from a list. Someone, probably from Land Rover, has given the DVLA this erroneous information at some point and it has stuck. I think I need to get on to LR and ask them why the DVLA call it a LF as type. Unless it is, simply, an abbreviated form of "Landrover Freelander" ? I will post the response from LR to address any misconceptions.

Post #309860 28th Oct 2016 7:47 pm
taztastic

England 

The VIN code is attached to the body shell and can be seen through the windscreen, from the outside on the passenger side of the vehicle. I would be checking that against what the V5C states, if they are different then the car and V5 are not matched then I would be very suspicious about the authenticity of the V5.

Post #309880 29th Oct 2016 1:12 am
Leccietech

Well, as the V5C came from the DVLA I have no reason to suspect any foul play. I also have antecedents of the vehicle so nothing is amiss. May just help to know that in one of my past employments I was a Police Officer and still have the suspicious mind that job engendered. Always double check everything when I buy a car Very Happy

Post #309896 29th Oct 2016 3:43 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

You still haven't told us why you think there are two variants LF and FA, whether or not the VIN on your v5c matches the car, and whether that VIN starts SALFA. Without that information there seems little point in commenting further.

You say field D2 on your v5c is type = LF - just FTR type on my v5c is broken down into two further fields, variant (6 chars) and version (4 chars) neither of which are or contain LF or FA. So I wouldn't bother trying to make sense of this field - it's nothing straightforward, and I can't find anything online which gives a key for it!

Post #309898 29th Oct 2016 4:29 pm
taztastic

England 

I'd double check it's a freelander and not a Suzuki Swift with a Land Rover badge then Laughing

Post #309908 29th Oct 2016 7:26 pm
captin

pab wrote:
You still haven't told us why you think there are two variants LF and FA, whether or not the VIN on your v5c matches the car, and whether that VIN starts SALFA. Without that information there seems little point in commenting further.

You say field D2 on your v5c is type = LF - just FTR type on my v5c is broken down into two further fields, variant (6 chars) and version (4 chars) neither of which are or contain LF or FA. So I wouldn't bother trying to make sense of this field - it's nothing straightforward, and I can't find anything online which gives a key for it!

this was not my original thread but I have noticed that when looking for certain parts ect the seller asks "is it an LF or FA"
SO that's why I wanted to know.

Post #309913 29th Oct 2016 11:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>