Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Would you consider something other that a Freelander
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 45 of 53 <123 ... 444546 ... 515253>
Print this entire topic · 
mrsimon4x4

A Mitsubishi of course

I haven't been through the whole 40 pages here, but I couldn't find the most obvious choice for the UK members:

The Mitsubishi Shogun. AND what's more, it's NOT available in Spain or the EU. Can you believe that? Only the UK! What a cheek! Mad

It has the super select for different terrains, Low range gearbox, central but not rear differential block AFAIK. It doesn't seem overpriced for the spec. It's such a no-brainer.
Get excited by clicking here.
https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/cars/shogun-sport/drive

The other ENORMOUS PERPLEXING omission here is that nobody seems to be talking about the DISCO Sport. Is that because you've included it as a "Freelander", or that nobody likes the bland rounded body? Like me.

Need to get a reality check on these two points, or maybe I just don't understand British people anymore... Whistle

A 2012 and on FL2 is currently my top choice.

Post #382455 9th Dec 2019 7:46 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I think Shogun Sport is aimed at the rural market, and may not be that smooth compared with non-truck derived SUVs.

Here's Top Gears verdict -

It may have seven seats and a lofty driving position, but this, despite Mitsubishi’s claims, is not a family SUV. It’s a workhorse, little more than an L200 pick-up with a permanent cover for its load bed. It feels hard-wearing and tough, a vehicle aimed at a rural audience.
If that’s you, then have a look – it might be that you need seven-seats occasionally, but find the Discovery Sport and its ilk too precious. And to be fair, there’s not much else out there right now that combines people carrying and ruggedness in one package. Looked at that way, it’s ten grand cheaper than a Toyota Land Cruiser.
But road manners are poor, it’s not luxurious, quiet or particularly comfortable, it doesn’t look good and it’s over-priced for what it is. So for everyone else, it’s a very hard car to recommend.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/mitsub...rt/verdict FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #382460 9th Dec 2019 9:03 pm
mrsimon4x4

So, apart from all that, it's a great car, right?

OK, so why isn't anyone rushing out to get a DISCO SPORT? It's so logical.

Post #382462 9th Dec 2019 9:34 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The Shogun Sport (or Pajero Sport as it is known in other markets ) is a proper off road capable, rugged, heavy duty and heavy hauling 4 x4 beast - the Disco Sport is totally feeble in comparison, judged on those criteria. Well made and reliable by all accounts, it does not seem to have suffered dpf problems like Toyota (or Disco Sport). Just have a look at any of the You Tube videos from independent road tests where they take the Shogun Sport well off road - it is very capable. I would definitely like one and don't care about the rather odd looks- much less ugly than the hideous arsed D5 in comparison. My only reservation about it is that Mitsubishi for reasons which baffle me only import the two top trim variants which are stuffed with electronic junk, bling and doh dahs. If one wants complex, fragile and expensive electronics then buy a Land Rover. Given that the Toyota Landcruiser Utility is available, the tarted up Shogun Sport makes no sense - an SG1or SG2 variant without all the bling would however give the Landcruiser a good run for my money at a similar price.

Post #382464 9th Dec 2019 10:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

mrsimon4x4 wrote:
So, apart from all that, it's a great car, right?

OK, so why isn't anyone rushing out to get a DISCO SPORT? It's so logical.

My personal answer is that I prefer the driving position of the FL2 over that of the DS. (or most other low slung modern SUVs)

Out of interest, I came across this statement about the over-supply of JLR cars, and probably why I can't find a parking space in my local dealers as they are packed with used (pre-registered?) cars.

Protesters complaining about the quality of their cars have been a regular feature at JLR’s Shanghai HQ and it’s understood that JLR is awash with models on airfields in the UK that had been destined for China but can’t be sold there due to quality reasons, although no one in the company will confirm this.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industr...ack-profit FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #382465 9th Dec 2019 11:15 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Tradewind 35 wrote:
The Shogun Sport (or Pajero Sport as it is known in other markets ) is a proper off road capable, rugged, heavy duty and heavy hauling 4 x4 beast

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/4x4/tow-c...ero-sport/ Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #382466 10th Dec 2019 7:19 am
GW8IZR

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Barolo Black

I looked long and hard at different vehicles that suited my requirements and to be honest it was a struggle to find anything other than the Freelander , we currently also run a D5 XC60 which I find a great car but it doesn’t have the practicality of the cabin space, when we go somewhere where we are likely to remain clean we use the Volvo, for all other purposes which tends to be the majority of the time I go for the old FL

The standard of the roads here in Rural Wales is abysmal and it shook my BMW estate to pieces where the FL eats it up. That said the BM estate towed the big log trailer very well and despite many saying BMW’s are not very good in the mud and snow that is nonsense. I’d probably go back to one if I had to change the FL.

I do wonder how long I will be able to keep this car running, not because of reliability. At 100k miles and 10 years old it is perfectly capable of lasting another four years and 80k which is my plan for it, indeed any new SUV bought in the UK today has the potential to last for 15 years + but whether there will be a political climate that allows that longevity is another question.

Post #382468 10th Dec 2019 8:10 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

A friend has recently bought one of these cross-overs and came with us to the Dales

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/cars/e...ls/dynamic

I have to say it did the job perfectly well - driving around North Yorkshire loaded with 4 adults , walking gear and dogs.

There was plenty of room inside and you get get a lot of kit for the money.

5 year warranty too.

Horses for courses Jules

Post #382476 10th Dec 2019 11:05 am
mrsimon4x4

Tradewind 35 wrote:
The Shogun Sport (or Pajero Sport as it is known in other markets ) is a proper off road capable, rugged, heavy duty and heavy hauling 4 x4 beast - the Disco Sport is totally feeble in comparison, judged on those criteria. Well made and reliable by all accounts, it does not seem to have suffered dpf problems like Toyota (or Disco Sport). Just have a look at any of the You Tube videos from independent road tests where they take the Shogun Sport well off road - it is very capable. I would definitely like one and don't care about the rather odd looks- much less ugly than the hideous arsed D5 in comparison. My only reservation about it is that Mitsubishi for reasons which baffle me only import the two top trim variants which are stuffed with electronic junk, bling and doh dahs. If one wants complex, fragile and expensive electronics then buy a Land Rover. Given that the Toyota Landcruiser Utility is available, the tarted up Shogun Sport makes no sense - an SG1or SG2 variant without all the bling would however give the Landcruiser a good run for my money at a similar price.

The Montero (NOT Pajero as that is a rude word in Spanish in Spain) is a car with an amazing re-sale value, but even here they've obviously decided that the day for real 4x4s is over. The UK dealer has brought over the top spec models to make it seem less like a farmers family car. Even the amazing Gran Vitara has been watered down to a boring small SUV. It's all over as we hit the 20s.

All over for medium priced off roaders, but not premium. The Defender, The Discovery, the Mercedes G Wagon for example with the Toyota LC as the classic that you can still buy. That should definitely be on your short-list if you liked the FL2.

What is a massive mistake is that the Disco Sport missed the mark design wise so badly. I mean, it's the natural continuation of the FL2. Forum members should have moved seamlessly on to it . But nobody seems interested at all.

I drove the Disco Sport on a 4x4 official LR driving course around the famous and enormous Les Comes 4x4 circuit in December 2018. It did everything thrown at it without breaking a sweat, although we didn't do anything really extreme. It seemed less premium in design compared to the Evoque, but was still modern and comfortable. It should be the car you choose: LR, British (hurrah!) and on-road/ off road capable. Sadly it loses on that X factor, just as the Defender does for many others (I like it), and it's down to looks.

That's why I'm between a Suzuki Gran Vitara or a FL2 if I save a bit more money, the latter being the logical choice. I should get 5 years out of it before diesel is outlawed in the Barcelona area.

If I had a lot more money, I'd get a new Defender. Surely that's what people will be looking at as a second hand purchase in 3 - 5 years.

Post #382498 10th Dec 2019 8:29 pm
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

What’s forum’s thoughts on Jag E pace.
Mainly just me or +1, don’t tow but want 4 wheel drive for safety and my knee’s want me back in a high vehicle.
Any thoughts on E pace ? 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #385665 1st Feb 2020 11:10 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

@GJH0702 "but want 4 wheel drive for safety"

Just out of curiosity, in what way do you feel having 4WD per se is safer ?

https://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/4wd-safer-2wd-death/ Jules

Post #385682 2nd Feb 2020 12:55 pm
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Part of the week I work up in Cumbria, having had three LR vehicles and now driving an E class Merc, when weather is poor I feel ‘safer’ in a higher vehicle with 4 wheel drive. 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #385684 2nd Feb 2020 1:16 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

jules wrote:
A friend has recently bought one of these cross-overs and came with us to the Dales

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/cars/e...ls/dynamic

I have to say it did the job perfectly well - driving around North Yorkshire loaded with 4 adults , walking gear and dogs.

There was plenty of room inside and you get get a lot of kit for the money.

5 year warranty too.

Horses for courses

Mitsubishi are really,good cars, but yet another nice car only available with a dreary black interior, enough for us to not even give it a glance Crying or Very sad Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #385688 2nd Feb 2020 2:39 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I quite like the look of that Mitsubishi Shogun Sport, rugged design, not too many frills, much more like old school Discovery. I would have no issues with its road manners and handling, I dont expect a sports car when I drive a 4x4. Bow down Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #385694 2nd Feb 2020 3:08 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Agree with Boxbrownie there on interior colours - what is it that persuades car manufactures that we want black car interiors? In my opinion they are drab and miserable in gloomy weather. I specced tan leather on my Freely in 07 and it is still light and wearing very well - it is looking nicer as it ages!. Japanese car makers in particular nowadays seem to have no clue that other interior colours might even be possible. Our first new Jazz provided an option to choose navy seats and trim which I particularly like. The other two Jazzes bought not long after had a choice of dull and drab black crap everywhere or dull and drab black crap everywhere Rolling Eyes .

Post #385771 3rd Feb 2020 11:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 45 of 53 <123 ... 444546 ... 515253>