« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Rear Diff - Whine **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 29 <123 456 ... 272829>
Print this entire topic · 
Aussie Battler

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

jibberingloon
probably, thats how both of mine stsrted .At first I thought it was the AT tyres on hotmix roads buy it slowly gets worse ,my second diff took about 9-10 months before it became bad . I also noticed as it got to the knackered stage the transmission would not slip into 6th at 100k and had to be forced ( by going up to 105-110 then droping back). Probably a good idea to start saving
Doug

Post #288843 31st Jan 2016 4:29 am
alex_pescaru

The transmission is generally holding gears longer when the rotational speed of the wheels differs.
Maybe this is also one of the causes your diffs gone bad quicker.... Different tires? Different tire pressures?

Post #288848 31st Jan 2016 8:44 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Jibberingloon wrote:
Ok so I bought a HSE 09 plate with 60k on the clock, and have now noticed it has a slight hum at low speed, but very slight.

Once I am up to 30mph I cant hear anything.

Is this the DIFF on the way out?

PS I knew the diff was a weak point on the FL2 when I bought it a few months back Rolling Eyes

No your diff is OK Thumbs Up What you will find the "whine" will get louder with increased speed.

Post #288854 31st Jan 2016 10:11 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Cambo wrote:
I was presuming to suck as much fluid out via the fill plug using a syringe and a flexible tube.

I remember reading years ago in "Car Mechanics" magazine about a guy who had a noisy gearbox and decided to suck out the old oil and replace it. He inserted a polythene tube into the filler plug hole but left the engine running for some reason. The next thing that happened was (since the layshaft would still be rotating) the whole length of pipe got wound into the gearbox. However he noticed that his gearbox was now a lot quieter so he took it for a drive and after a few initial problems with getting into various gears the plastic bits got nicely chewed up and everything was OK.
It's a variation on the old sawdust in the rear diff trick but I wouldn't recommend it. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #288857 31st Jan 2016 10:55 am
Aussie Battler

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

alex_pescaru wrote:
The transmission is generally holding gears longer when the rotational speed of the wheels differs.
Maybe this is also one of the causes your diffs gone bad quicker.... Different tires? Different tire pressures?

the reason that the transmission would not slip into 6th was because the bearing had actually failed and was binding up but not seized .I could only just turn the pinion by hand and when I opened the diff up a few small pieces of bearing were floating around in the rear pinion bearing . At that point the noise suddenly becomes very noticable
Doug

Post #289003 1st Feb 2016 2:11 am
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hi Guys,

As you may know, My diff was replaced under warranty few months ago.

I have now a systematic vibration through the car body at exactly 85 mph on smooth roads. nothing under 85 mph and nothing after. No vibration on steering wheel.

Is it ok to think that they messed with something during replacement procedure ?

I'll try wheel balancing first but I have a bad feeling to be honnest ... Confused

Post #291628 25th Feb 2016 12:41 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Im wondering if when the replaced your diff if they didnt refit the prop shaft in the same position it came off and hence the balance on that is slightly out and getting worse?
They should mark the propshaft and flange so it goes back in the same place, i bet they dont bother half the time and just hope its ok?

Post #291640 25th Feb 2016 2:06 pm
austen_fl2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

That makes no difference what so ever, they are not balanced as a pair.

The odd freelander does suffer from a harmonic type vibration at ceratain speeds. To try and combat it heavy rubber dampers were bolted onto the diff on later cars and a big rubber damper around the haldex flange. As yours is a 12 plate, it probably had these dampers. There is a chance the one bolted to the diff wasnt refitted back on. Its not really a problem unless you travel at 85mph all the time Wink

It could also be total unrealated, tyres, drive shaft, prop shaft etc. www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #291642 25th Feb 2016 2:12 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

I suppose it would never be a problem here though as we cant go over 70mph Wink

Post #291645 25th Feb 2016 2:29 pm
hirsty098

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Rear diff.

Well it looks like it's my turn now for having the rear diff. replaced. Looks like it's covered by a warranty so fingers crossed it wont hurt too much. If there's any good indies reasonably close to York someone can recommend I can hopefully get it sorted soon as poss.

Post #294568 24th Mar 2016 6:24 pm
austen_fl2

I supply fully reconditioned rear diffs, with larger nose bearings (so they wont fail again), sent in a strong crate via UPS. Can also supply the haldex fluid and filters too. Will also do the fitting but its a bit of a trek down here for you. www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #294661 25th Mar 2016 9:26 pm
hirsty098

That's spooky, Just looking at your website earlier! Got a Land Rover indie looking at it Tuesday morning. Got a feeling as long as warranty company approve repair they will only let him use Land Rover parts to repair. If they refuse repair Big Cry I'm getting a price off him to fit one of your diffs. Which I would sooner have anyway to be honest.

Post #294698 26th Mar 2016 10:08 am
austen_fl2

I have supplied a lot of parts for warranty claims via independents. The units carry a 12month warranty too.

I can also supply a report on the old diff to submit to warranty company (I have a template I reuse now lol!) www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #294699 26th Mar 2016 10:14 am
hirsty098

A template! Censored hell, You've done a few then. I'll see what happens Tuesday morning with the claim and go from there. Read the print off the terms and conditions I have from them so should be ok. Exchange diff. from Land Rover plus fitting comes to just shy of £1500.00

Post #294702 26th Mar 2016 10:36 am
austen_fl2

Our price is half that, Inc all fluids, fitting and servicing of the haldex. Wink And we replace all bearings and seals (unlike the land rover supplied repaired units!). www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #294705 26th Mar 2016 11:01 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 29 <123 456 ... 272829>