« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Rear Diff - Whine **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 29 <123 ... 272829>
Print this entire topic · 
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Ok thx so let's say a few hours.

In Morocco they don't do the Level 1 repair (changing the faulty bearing only). they replace the whole diff Thumbs Up

Post #267953 24th Jun 2015 8:01 pm
D-Man

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Probably sensible given that mine didn't work with a Level 1 anyway.

As it's such a well known issue (my dealer at the time got in car with me, had me drive and after about 200m said "it's the diff bearing"!) I can't see why authorisation shouldn't be almost automatic. 2011 SD4 HSE Auto
(Previously 2007 TD4 XS Manual)

Post #267954 24th Jun 2015 8:04 pm
Arese

Yes you're right ... knowing that the dealer has already ordered the diff from Uk and is already delivered to Casablanca.

It's programmed for the 1st of july

I'll let you know

Post #267956 24th Jun 2015 8:07 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Quote "
I'm curious to know who has a freelander 2 and hasn't or never had problem linked to rear diff and/or transfer box ..."

Come on guys there must be someone out there.

I know its tempting fate but my FL2 has done just over 50,000 and has had no such issues.

It did suffer the fuel sender units problem, sorted under warranty, and the volumetric alarm fault, sorted by self after reading of solution on here.

I do agree though that something like a rear diff failing as commonly as they clearly do and at such low mileages in many cases is totally unacceptable and LR ought to always replace at their cost if car has done less than say 100K. Perhaps then recouping the cost from their supplier if the fault lies there! It is a major component that should only ever fail very rarely indeed!

Post #267989 24th Jun 2015 11:12 pm
gingerlord

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Indus Silver

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Quote "
I'm curious to know who has a freelander 2 and hasn't or never had problem linked to rear diff and/or transfer box ..."

55k (12 plate) and not a single thing gone wrong so far, touch wood. Only had a set of tyres, rear pads and wiper blades changed in the 14 months I've had it and from the receipts I got with it nothing else was changed beyond normal service items.

Its done 30k in the last year with a 130 mile daily commute round trip with motorway, A and B road mixed use daily, driving in 12" of snow in Scotland and the Peaks, plenty of moderate off road muddy fields, pulled other cars out of ditches and not driven particularly lightly.

I fully expect it to explode at some point, because its a Land Rover and this seems par for the course.

Post #268008 25th Jun 2015 10:07 am
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Quote:
I'm curious to know who has a freelander 2 and hasn't or never had problem linked to rear diff and/or transfer box ...

MY 2013 43k miles two standard services only and apart from that nothing at all has gone wrong apart from replacing blown headlamp bulbs

If anyone sees a Santorini black 62 reg Freelander sitting by the side of the M4 in a cloud of smoke and a pool of oil during the next week...............that will be me!!

Steve[/quote]

Post #268017 25th Jun 2015 10:45 am
chezqui

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Quote "

I feel sure that a number of people are on this forum simply because we have problems with our FLs. Maybe we should start a forum for people who haven't suffered any problems. Not sure how many takers there would be Confused

Post #268179 27th Jun 2015 10:15 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Our most reliable FL2 was the earlier 08 version that went to 99k with no issues. Similarly my brother in law has an 09 version with no problems and 90k miles. Subsequent ones have all had big issues. So what does this tell us about LR continuous development policies ? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #268180 27th Jun 2015 10:45 am
Arese

Hi guys

Thank you for your replies ... i'm glad to read that all of you don't have problems Very Happy

I took the car to LR yesterday ... I was told that the ordered diff for replacement is different from the one factory fitted, and normally the faulty bearing is not the same than the one in the new diff.

I'm not sure Whistle

Post #268633 3rd Jul 2015 2:15 pm
littletriple

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Most of these are quite low mileages. 40/50/60k is nothing & could be a covered in one year alone. Are there any cars here with proper high (100k+) mileages which have needed no more than routine service & the usual replacement parts (brakes/tyres etc).
I wonder, has anyone run an FL2 as a taxi... Shocked

Post #268640 3rd Jul 2015 3:35 pm
Arese

I don't think there are lot of people here with high FL2 mileages

Well ... my FL2 is still at LR dealer one week now, they just had the approval from LR UK to change the diff, they asked for pictures and audio recording of the noise prior to their approval Rolling Eyes

I'll take it back maybe today or monday ...

I'll let you know

Post #269168 10th Jul 2015 2:08 pm
Arese

double post sorry

Post #269169 10th Jul 2015 2:08 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

I bought another having had the diff clutch and flywheel go on my last 2010 at 50000 miles, that was a company car, but still fixed under warranty so cost nothing, I now have my own 2014 and so far so good, but its only done 10000 so far, but what the heck, if it goes wrong and I have to pay its only a couple of grand and its ok again for a few more thousand, that was my thinking. Thumbs Up

Post #269171 10th Jul 2015 3:14 pm
Neal H

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Barolo Black

I have a 2011 SD4 Auto, it's my first LR and friends gave me the usual advice about not buying one!!

I bought it nine months ago with 23k miles, and it's now got 29k on it. A couple of months ago it suffered a failure of the hydraulic pump that works the Haldex system. It's now started to develop the whining noise mentioned in this thread, so I guess the Diff is on the way out. It's also leaking a bit of fluid from somewhere, which started immediately after the hydraulic pump was replaced, so it may or may not be connected to that.

It's a shame, it's a great vehicle and I really enjoy driving it, but I'm beginning to think I should have listened to my friends!

My advise would be - Don't by a LR product unless it comes with a comprehensive multi-year warranty!!!! Fortunately mine did, but repeated trips back to the dealer are going to prove annoying.

Post #269253 11th Jul 2015 3:27 pm
dadipiper

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Galway Green

My diff started to whine last year on my 2007 Freelander but that was at 168,000 miles. Hasn't got any worse and now with almost 179,00 on clock but always at the back of my mind that one day it will give up the ghost.
Anyone know what the replacement price is for the rear diff.

Post #269593 14th Jul 2015 9:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 29 <123 ... 272829>