« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Rear Diff - Whine **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 29 of 29 <123 ... 272829
Print this entire topic · 
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Walenut wrote:

This is a follow up after about 2000 miles. The diff rumbling is pretty loud now, wife is complaining so I think it's shot & time to book in with Austin. Laughing

Hope is lasts.

This is the Mobilube synthetic SHC gear oil. First I thought it was the breathers blocked & condensation not escaping but I checked both & they where clear. (Side note; one has a restrictor on the end so the air doesn't escape as quick. Removed them before I discovered this.)

The original fill oil Castrol EPX? Didn't look like this when I removed it so I'm guessing the Mobilube is foaming. I put some in the bottle below & left if a couple of days to see if it would retum to it normal state but it's just stayed the same. Proves there no water in it, no separation.

I do like the way that you are thinking about this.

However you need to think back to your days in the Organic Chemistry Lab.

If you create an emulsion then you would expect the following

1 - Suspended gases will work their way to the surface and leave the liquid and the level should drop to compensate for this

2 - If you actually have an emulsion allowing the solution a significant amount of time to separate should generate an Organic Layer and an aqueous layer with the organic layer on top

For your example you didn't get either option.

Conclusion you don't have an emulsion.

What could cause your Mobil 1 SHC to look like that if its not water?

If the fluid from the Haldex is mixing with the final drive it will likely look like what you have. Or if something that isn't water soluble mixed with the gear oil then you could get this effect (i.e. Mud in the differential)

From your picture it is difficult to determine the root cause of the contamination.

More information is needed.

Take care

Paul

Post #411591 20th Aug 2021 11:24 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

MotionInc wrote:

The additive is Liqui Moly MoS2 Anti-Friction Gear Lubricant - 50 Grams.

When I drained the fluid today, there was zero noticeable bubbles in it and my drive to my buddy's shop was about 40 minutes with one stop.

Motion,

I do like the idea of customizing the oil additives.

And I completely agree that an overfilled Diff or PTU will generate a lot of air bubbles in the oil. If the bubbles aren't there then its not really over filled.

This is god information

Thanks for sharing

Paul

Post #411592 20th Aug 2021 11:36 pm
Walenut

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

p_gill wrote:
Walenut wrote:

This is a follow up after about 2000 miles. The diff rumbling is pretty loud now, wife is complaining so I think it's shot & time to book in with Austin. Laughing

Hope is lasts.

This is the Mobilube synthetic SHC gear oil. First I thought it was the breathers blocked & condensation not escaping but I checked both & they where clear. (Side note; one has a restrictor on the end so the air doesn't escape as quick. Removed them before I discovered this.)

The original fill oil Castrol EPX? Didn't look like this when I removed it so I'm guessing the Mobilube is foaming. I put some in the bottle below & left if a couple of days to see if it would retum to it normal state but it's just stayed the same. Proves there no water in it, no separation.

I do like the way that you are thinking about this.

However you need to think back to your days in the Organic Chemistry Lab.

If you create an emulsion then you would expect the following

1 - Suspended gases will work their way to the surface and leave the liquid and the level should drop to compensate for this

2 - If you actually have an emulsion allowing the solution a significant amount of time to separate should generate an Organic Layer and an aqueous layer with the organic layer on top

For your example you didn't get either option.

Conclusion you don't have an emulsion.

What could cause your Mobil 1 SHC to look like that if its not water?

If the fluid from the Haldex is mixing with the final drive it will likely look like what you have. Or if something that isn't water soluble mixed with the gear oil then you could get this effect (i.e. Mud in the differential)

From your picture it is difficult to determine the root cause of the contamination.

More information is needed.

Take care

Paul

Thanks Paul, I can’t see that it’s mud, the vehicle is fairly low mileage. All the seals should be good & I can’t see how anything else external could get in. I don’t off road.

It could be Hedex oil but I’ve had no issues or fault codes. I watched one of the videos you posted earlier. You could see the oil foaming but it returns to its original form when standing. Only real test would be to put the Castrol back in and see what happens to that. Interesting? 🤔

Post #411605 21st Aug 2021 11:06 am
Walenut

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

An interesting read:

https://www.lubesngreases.com/magazine/fig...-and-foam/

We might just have to accept it’s a crap design! 🙈😄👍

Post #411606 21st Aug 2021 11:31 am
IslandGPS

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Does anyone have an estimate of the cost of having the diff replaced?

Post #414776 19th Nov 2021 11:30 am
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

IslandGPS wrote:
Does anyone have an estimate of the cost of having the diff replaced?

Bell Engineering:

£415 + VAT for Recon Diff with uprated nose bearing and twelve month guarantee
    £180 fitting (not sure if VAT inclusive)

Bell Engineering is highly recommended by members of this forum and the owner, Austen is quite happy to discuss/advise over the phone…

https://www.bellengineering.co.uk/book-online

Post #414782 19th Nov 2021 12:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 29 of 29 <123 ... 272829