Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 121 of 127 <123 ... 120121122 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
DennisV

United Kingdom 

If I understand it correctly, the 'approved used' scheme currently provides a two year dealer warranty on pre-owned vehicles bought from a Land Rover main dealer.

As from September the 'approved used' scheme will only provide a one year dealer backed warranty.

At the end of that one year dealer provided warranty you'll still be able to buy an extended warranty until the vehicle is ten years old.

So the net effect is that the dealer is reducing their responsibility for used vehicle warranty costs by a year and will probably push customers towards paying for the extended warranty on which the dealer earns commission?

Post #377331 24th Aug 2019 5:47 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I don't think the dealer gets commission on extended warranties. A couple of years ago I had the paperwork through for the extended warranty from LR and I happened to be getting the car serviced a couple of days later. I chatted to the sales guy who I had known for a couple of years, and mentioned it thinking that he might get some benefit if he arranged it for me but he said thanks but it made no difference to him or the dealership. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #377339 24th Aug 2019 9:09 am
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

I was in my local stealers this morning and overheard an interesting conversation between a customer and the receptionist.

The customer was asking if there was any chance that a technician could reset the apparently faulty service indicator on his Discovery Sport as it was only 4 months old and the service light had come on. Hmm. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #377487 28th Aug 2019 8:59 am
dorsetfreelander

You should have chirped up "Oil dilution problem already?" 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #377488 28th Aug 2019 9:18 am
landgreen

Canada 

...and how many times is that scene being played out every week I wonder? Pity the hapless suckers who'll be picking up the service bills on 5 year old D180s.

Post #377937 6th Sep 2019 7:43 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Those of us of a certain age remember service intervals of 6,000 miles as being normal - OK the oil was less sophisticated and engine tolerances huge in comparison to modern stuff. But I don't see a problem with changing the oil every 3 months, It only takes an hour, you would only need to change the filter every other service. Probably use a cheap 0-30W oil as it doesn't have chance to go out of grade.

Doing an oil change next weekend, the third this year on mine. I will be changing the filter purely because it is so easy on the DS.
Warranty finishes Monday so it doesn't matter what parts I fit anymore, LR fight genuine warranty claims that are within he warranty period, so I am under no illusion that I am on my own. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #377943 7th Sep 2019 9:54 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

I’d be Censored filling my wiper washer bottle every three months let alone oil change.
Seriously that is pure madness! MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #377944 7th Sep 2019 10:10 am
dorsetfreelander

I don't think it's the oil change interval so much as the fact that the oil is getting diluted sufficiently and causing damage. As I stated earlier my neighbour had the problem and his DS balance shafts were replaced at only 4k miles. LR are not alone with this problem, if you root around the web you will find that Mercedes, Ford, Honda etc have similar issues and it's caused by the difficulties in getting a diesel engine to Euro 6 standards and the way that the DPF has to be fed neat diesel during the exhaust stroke to burn it off every so often. Some manufacturers eg Suzuki have already taken all diesels out of their product line. For me this is the end of road for diesel, I might be tempted with a petrol DS though although there aren't many about. Perhaps LR should be pushing the petrol variants more, after all diesel sales are falling rapidly everywhere. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #377945 7th Sep 2019 10:43 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

JLR will most likely let everyone else fetch out better petrol variants then play catch up when the market is saturated Rolling Eyes

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #377946 7th Sep 2019 10:54 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The Freelander service is every 12k, so that would be twice a year anyway - why not save the engine and double up?

No one actually believes that the DS service interval of 22K is real do they?

Given the option of an hour playing with the car or being dragged shopping to the out of town shopping Mall (Trafford Centre) - pass me the overalls. Maybe it helps I was a hands on Engineer for many years, now side-lined to a desk, and getting my hands dirty is VERY therapeutic. - Just not lying under a forklift with 6" of snow on the floor. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #377947 7th Sep 2019 10:55 am
dorsetfreelander

I did ask a LR salesguy last year if there was a price difference for a petrol version of a DS and he said that it would be about £3k more expensive! 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #377948 7th Sep 2019 11:08 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

In answer to the idea that the dilution problem is brought on by Euro 6 equipped vehicles having to inject fuel in the exhaust stroke. ...... mmm

I think the answer is simpler than that, Diesels can and do in some cases have a fuel supply to a small injector just before the DPF that needs to be heated to burn off the soot. But it costs, why not inject fuel on the exhaust stroke every Preston guild (a long time between events), after all the engine is running a cheat algorithm that produces minimal soot (but a lot of NOx).

Blow we've been caught cheating, right lets now meet the regs, but to do that we would need to either fit a diesel injector/solenoid/pipework, or wreck the engines - most of which would be out of warranty. Accountants to the rescue, blow the companies hard earned reputation, lets save some money. - not a problem unique to LR, Ford and many others have the same issue, have treated customers in the same way Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #377949 7th Sep 2019 11:22 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Frankly if you Vehicle needs oil changing every 3 months it’s time to get “rid” of it and by making any excuses like “other brands” or “ I can live with it” are just delusional. If people stopped making these excuses and manufacturers products sit on the forecourts or warfs then they’d start taking notice.
There is laws stating “fit for purpose” and if a vehicle is stated having “x” interval services then it should be applicable. If you changing oil every 3 months you have a problem! MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #377950 7th Sep 2019 12:32 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
3 Cylinder Diesel Plug in for DS

It looks as if the DS PHEV will have a 3 cylinder Diesel alongside its battery.

Looks to me like it may be intended as a low mileage 'range extender' than a 'full blown tourer'.

https://www.motoring.com.au/plug-in-hybrid...rs-120586/ FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #378336 15th Sep 2019 9:23 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Ive just had a brand new (and by that I mean 7 miles on the clock) DS in 'S' spec, not sure if it was D150 or D180 as no badging to show it.

IMO the centre console is much neater but thats about it tbh. I wasnt impressed with the new gear lever, the controls are now doubling/tripling up on roles (i.e. passenger rotary dial does climate, seat heating and fans while driver dial does climate, seat heating and TR) the dash layout is bizarre as the speedo and rev counter are 3/4 analogue and 1/4 LCD digital and the centre display is just way too busy if you configure it have range/mpg/distance so you end up just having the digital speed to simplify it.

plus it had some annoying rattles from the rear somewhere that i didnt bother to investigate

would i pay £35k for it? not a chance... would i buy one in 5/6/7 years time ? possibly but very cautiously

Post #378360 16th Sep 2019 6:56 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 121 of 127 <123 ... 120121122 ... 125126127>