Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 120 of 127 <123 ... 119120121 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Just to provide a bit of balance for the disaster which has overtaken Land Rover with their dpf and oil dilution issues, a class action has begun in Aus against Toyota over dpf problems with the Hilux, Fortuner and the Prado - which is branded as the Landcruiser in UK markets. If a vast company such as Toyota can muck things up so badly trying to meet political engineering targets such as Euro 6 compliance then JLR's problems can certainly be more easily understood, if not accepted. The dubious introduction of the Ingenium in the Discosport for questionable benefit in place of the tried and tested TD4/SD4 engines or another shared engine may have compounded matters for JLR - but they will certainly have a struggle to survive. I blame the strategic management of the firm for many of their woes and the Tata bosses must question their judgment but in any case I hope they can weather the gathering storm.

Post #376901 16th Aug 2019 5:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I assume that the rationale for the Ingenium was that it would not be possible (or very difficult) to get the Peugeot TD4 design to meet Euro 6 standards. All I know is that I won't be buying another diesel from anybody. I have found myself looking at petrol DSs but they are quite expensive and with a £455 VED too I can't really justify it even though I could afford one. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #376921 17th Aug 2019 9:43 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Don’t worry, what with the government’s usual panic to tax something they have been told is bad, diesels will be taxed to the hilt and petrols will be tax free soon Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #376922 17th Aug 2019 10:02 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Listers want me to trial a new DS - the blurb still talks about the adventures of the school run. Shocked

https://listers.co.uk/news/2019/07/new-dis...le-to-test MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #376932 17th Aug 2019 1:24 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Did you pick up that all new Discovery Sport Autos will be Hybrid (with associated price hikes)?

I doubt LR will extend the battery warranty past 3 years and batteries don’t last for ever and are expensive to replace….

Post #376962 18th Aug 2019 9:23 am
dorsetfreelander

It talks about "Drive Line Disconnect" isn't that what the Haldex does?

To maximise efficiency, All-Wheel Drive (AWD) variants benefit from Driveline Disconnect – a Power Transfer Unit at the front axle that disconnects drive to the rear wheels under steady state cruising, reducing frictional losses and re-engaging AWD in less than 500 milliseconds. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #376966 18th Aug 2019 10:04 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

That’s true there are quite a few Prius taxis running around in Japan on their original batteries.......only done more than 200-300K miles Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #376967 18th Aug 2019 10:04 am
j77

Scotland 

DennisV wrote:
Did you pick up that all new Discovery Sport Autos will be Hybrid (with associated price hikes)?

I doubt LR will extend the battery warranty past 3 years and batteries don’t last for ever and are expensive to replace….

Only mild hybrid, nothing really special.

The PHEV should be out end of this year. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #377039 19th Aug 2019 5:55 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

I’ll just “plonk” this here as I know lots of you keep your vehicles long term and car manufacturers love people to keep their vehicles for at least 128,000 km Whistle
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/australia...=dirty-evs MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #377042 19th Aug 2019 8:09 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

DennisV wrote:

Any PHEV and Hybrid will run forever (within reason) and all that will happen is that the 'Electric' range will get progressively worse as the battery gets less and less efficient.

Eventually the world will be filled with 'old bangers' running around with defunct batteries because the latter used market owners will not be able to afford to replace the batteries (or afford the recycling charges)

Of course the cars will be wildly inefficient by the time they are in this condition. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #377047 19th Aug 2019 9:37 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Stuartc wrote:
I’ll just “plonk” this here ...

Quote:
If choosing a car with the environment in mind, it might be better buying a traditional petrol vehicle.

Unfortunately decisions on environmental issues are political as much as anything, and therefore common sense is something one can't expect. Most politicians care only about their own back yards (i.e. the people who vote for them and keep them in their cushy jobs). So the fact that battery production causes huge environmental damage through mining, transportation, etc, doesn't really matter because all that happens "somewhere else". The only thing most politicians will care about is what comes out of the tailpipes in their constituencies, and therefore EVs will continue to be seen as a panacea for some time yet.

Of course things may be different in Australia, which is currently the world's largest producer of lithium.

Also, the report doesn't seem to have taken account of battery disposal/recycling at end of life, thus would appear to have under-estimated the true environmental cost of EVs.

Post #377048 19th Aug 2019 9:45 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

in the same way that we were told diesels were better, cleaner, more efficient etc etc, and were encouraged to buy them through various schemes and incentives, and we are now being demonised and penalised for driving them, then EV will also go the same way IMO.

in 10,15,20 years time when nearly all cars will be electric of some description then those owners too will just be demonised and penalised.

this is just deja vu

Post #377054 19th Aug 2019 11:03 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Dont worry tesla will have perfected battery recycling by then- as in they will shove them in a warehouse and pretend they are being recycled.

Lithium batteries work wonders on power tools /hedge cutters and the like. Im slowly expanding my electric revolution of gadgets, with a few spare batteries you can do a lot of work with battery drill. impact wrench etc etc

Cut the garden hedge with one 4ah battery charge, with still enough juice to run the leaf blower to tidy up.

Im up for an electric car soonish, especially when Ive solar panelled the barns, 100kw planned.
panels are now cost effective without govt money - if you have an all day use for the power.

I see me keeping the next DS (petrol) for a long time using it for long trips, alongside a small electric car for shop/school runs

I imagine cornwall will do well out of this
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall...on-2464703 At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #377070 19th Aug 2019 5:17 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Approved Used!

Received the following from my local dealer today ….

“Land Rover's award-winning Approved Used Vehicle programme is being updated and we wanted you to be the first to know. For any Approved Land Rover purchased after the 1st September 2019 the existing two year unlimited mileage Land Rover Warranty will be reduced from 24 months to 12 months. However we have now extended the Land Rover Approved programme to include vehicles up to 7 years old”.

Would it be cynical to suspect that this may be connected to DS oil dilution???

Post #377324 23rd Aug 2019 8:06 pm
dorsetfreelander

I thought that it was up to 10 yrs old/100k at the time of taking out an extended warranty or is that different to a Approved Used Warranty? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #377325 23rd Aug 2019 8:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 120 of 127 <123 ... 119120121 ... 125126127>