Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 119 of 127 <123 ... 118119120 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Keep a record & receipts of oil etc & milage a for your own servicing so if you sell the car you can show that it was well looked after. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #372496 23rd May 2019 9:34 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Interesting new LR document has emerged on the RRS/DS forums with more info on the oil dilution and DPF blockage issues.

Seems LR sales staff are now instructed to strongly recommend a petrol vehicle for certain drive cycles.

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtop...start=3170

Post #375794 26th Jul 2019 5:30 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

That's truly shocking - if enough disgruntled owners got together they could do a class action (group litigation) and possibly get compensation as well as their money back in rejecting the car. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #375797 26th Jul 2019 6:40 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It hasn’t worked for over 100,000 VW/Audi owners in this Country......still waiting the Court case going through and will be lucky to get a small amount of compensation let alone return the car/complete refund.......where do think we are, a fair country? Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #375798 26th Jul 2019 7:37 pm
j77

Scotland 

The owners of my old D5 had to get a new engine due to metal fragments in the sump, less than 3 years old. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #375799 26th Jul 2019 7:51 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Must have been less than a year old and already had the fragments! Shocked

Then again not that surprised as the first engine blocks we had over from India had an awful lots of casting sand still in the water/oil ways......terrible quality control. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #375808 27th Jul 2019 8:57 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

DennisV wrote:
Interesting new LR document has emerged on the RRS/DS forums with more info on the oil dilution and DPF blockage issues.

Seems LR sales staff are now instructed to strongly recommend a petrol vehicle for certain drive cycles.

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtop...start=3170

That's really good information there and extremely brave of Land Rover to finally come clean, knowing that by being honest it could bring a barrage of claims against them Shocked

Post #375821 27th Jul 2019 4:49 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

I’d like to think it was LR realising that whatever is morally right is always commercially right in the long term, rather than an unintentional leak of an internal document? I think which it is will become clear when we see how LR treats DS customers after the 3 year warranty expires?

Post #375826 27th Jul 2019 5:55 pm
j77

Scotland 

Boxbrownie wrote:
Must have been less than a year old and already had the fragments! Shocked

Then again not that surprised as the first engine blocks we had over from India had an awful lots of casting sand still in the water/oil ways......terrible quality control.

I traded it in at 10 months old after constant early service warnings, I still have all the emails from the dealer service department saying it was fine and no need to bring it in. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #375840 27th Jul 2019 9:11 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Does this mean that if you action the 'Early Service' warnings and change the oil, or even voluntarily half the service intervals, the engine should survive.

I say this because in the future years I did consider looking for a RRS (present generation, about 3 years old) to replace my FL2, and I see it mentioned in the document.

Also does this mean that I should be wary of low mileage second-hand buys. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #375847 28th Jul 2019 7:26 am
Deafender

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

We seem to be fortunate having gone F-Pace rather than DS for the Missus in February this year. We’d heard the undertones around DS and needed a lot of persuading not to walk away from JLR altogether... although not at all related to this and almost certainly a one-off, our FL2 engine had just collapsed on us at only 120k miles and had to be replaced...

The F- Pace won over the DS on the cockpit and drive overall, though was nearly beaten to it by the Volvo XC-90, which we looked at because of our concerns on the JLR engines... we made this clear to Lancaster JLR, who did a good job convincing us that there was sufficient difference and robust warranty cover...

The F-Pace has done 10k miles already since delivery in late February, including quite a lot of Central London commuter crawling, and is performing perfectly. I wonder if the DS would have... I hope so, it’s a good package overall but this revelation won’t help... Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #375852 28th Jul 2019 7:55 am
Deafender

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Quote:
... or even voluntarily half the service intervals, the engine should survive.

I always do this anyway on cars 2 & 3... XK8 and FL2.. never more than 6,000 miles... I just don’t see how engines can last under the intervals they put on them nowadays... although our FL2 engine failure was put down to a faulty valve retainer, so more regular oil changes are still no certainty.

I’ve looked at the F-Pace oil level, the car is at 10,000 miles now, and I would change the oil right now... on the dipstick and cloth it looks and runs like black ink... but the recommended service interval is still another 10k miles yet... Shocked

According to the bulletin being shared, I have no need to be concerned about the oil dilution on the F-Pace, but I still wonder... Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #375855 28th Jul 2019 8:51 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

For the price of the oil and filter I would just change it.

Post #375857 28th Jul 2019 9:23 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I can't see how LR say it's driving style.
It's 40 miles each way to work and back, 32 of which are on motorway at speeds above 60mph.
My oil level is up by 5-6mm since the service 5k ago - that's a lot of fuel in the sump, what I don't understand is why is mine doing so many failed regens to dump that much fuel in the sump? Fuel consumption is still way way better than the FL2, how much better would it be if it didn't try to regen every 250 miles?
No idea if mine is fitted with a DPF warning light, but as I haven't seen it I am assuming that some of the forced regens are working.
I was always going to do intermediate oil an filter changes every 10k, it only takes an hour, but the oil is stupidly expensive even from opie oils. It's the price of extending the warranty that is annoying me - £830 for year 4 including recovery, Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #375876 28th Jul 2019 11:54 pm
landgreen

Canada 

We know that "driving style" is a shameless lie and always has been. Something happened that technically crippled the exhaust system on the D8 Ingenium between design and production - otherwise how to explain attention-grabbing 21K extended services that shrank immediately to 8,000 miles? People didn't decide to change their driving style overnight after buying a DS or Ewok. The same engine in the XE never had any trouble getting to 21K and/or 2 years. JLR can't explain these two anomalies because to do so would be to admit they shipped cars knowing that they were faulty. Instead of admitting the facts and taking responsibility they instinctively chose to blame their customers. Not for the first time.

The letter to dealers originated in 2017/18 but did the sales guys actually receive it? Were they made fully aware of the very serious architectural "challenges", the obstructing bulkhead, the "70cm" of additional pipework and the fact that this made the oil dilution much worse than on comparable cars - leading a much bigger proportion of drivers into "DPF clogging" territory if the right questions weren't asked during the customer qualification? Having failed to pin the blame on their customers the leaking of this damaging document might be evidence that JLR is about to try and blame its dealers.

There are at least two UK law firms looking at starting group legal actions over the CO2 emissions. If they get scent of the D8 DPF issue as well, this could be very good news for all the people stuck with faulty cars and expensive & unfair repair bills.

https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/commercial-...emissions/
https://www.caremissionslawyers.co.uk/jagu...mpensation
JLRP00100 - https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=5997
JLR Letter - https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=9488
https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtop...05#p104505
https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=9106

Post #376894 16th Aug 2019 4:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 119 of 127 <123 ... 118119120 ... 125126127>