Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Feelander 2 Hesitation / Judder / Stuttering fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 19 of 25 <123 ... 181920 ... 232425>
Print this entire topic · 
Landyjim

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Santorini Black

We had this as well on our 2011 FL2 SD4 and niggles like this was one of the reasons why we ended up selling it. Also had the haldex unit replaced and wondered if it was related as it seemed to solve the problem for a while.

Post #354791 11th Aug 2018 11:20 am
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

So. my FL2 is at the dealer now after having reproduced the problem with a technician to some degree last month. Was also offered the opportunity to take it out yesterday morning with a technician when I took it in, and also managed to reproduce it.

Got a call today to say they have diagnosed a fault with the airflow meter which will be replaced under extended warranty tomorrow and retested. Here's hoping...

Post #355336 21st Aug 2018 10:30 am
Eurolandy

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Noticed this post a few weeks ago (amongst others on this general subject) when my MY2013 started with an intermittent flat spot on acceleration at about 1700 – 2000 RPM.
I’ve actually had two snags, the flat spot and uneven initial acceleration from idle. The uneven acceleration was cleared by changing the accelerator pedal assembly (thanks to Dan at Duckworth's for a rapid delivery), but I still have the intermittent flat spot at between 1700 and 2000 RPM. As an additional precaution I also changed the Crank Sensor (I had a spare as I’ve heard a lot about these being intermittent), but it made no difference.
My problem is a little stranger than some. Over the last few months I have used the vehicle mainly for driving the 15 miles to work and back home again on ‘A’ roads with a speed limit of 50MPH so never been used in town areas (Generally hasn’t been used at weekends over the summer). I never have a problem in the morning, it runs and pulls superbly well and the same on the way home until I’ve covered about 8 – 10 miles and get stuck in queuing traffic at lights. Occasionally, when setting of from rest after being in traffic I get the flat spot at 1700 – 2000 RPM (only occasionally say 30% of the time). At first I imagined it was linked to the high outside air temperature, but up here in Lancashire it’s been relatively cool for the last few weeks.
Doesn’t seem to be any fault codes logged and apart from this issue the vehicle runs perfectly. This coming weekend I’m going to take the engine cover off and take a good look round at any intercooler and vacuum hoses etc. and then give it a good blast on the motorway for an hour to try and blow any ‘cobwebs’ out.
Has anyone got drawings / diagrams of the Intercooler hose, vacuum hose & EGR layout handy? I am told removal of the EGR valve for cleaning is a real nightmare.
On searching the web for this issue it’s amazing the number of different makes of vehicle having similar faults (don’t just assume its just Land Rovers), majority of which don’t seem to have a solution or a permanent fix.
All the best,
Chris Gone:
2002 FL1 TD4 GS Zambezi Silver
2007 FL2 TD4 GS Izmir Blue

Post #355892 30th Aug 2018 10:26 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

both my autos (2010 TD4 and 2013 SD4) had the odd spot between those rev ranges, but I noticed it in that when in what I assume was 6th gear it would seem to labour at those revs, but by either speeding up slightly (to about 75mph) or slowing down slightly (until the revs dropped below 1700rpm) seemed to negate it.

Since then my thoughts have been that as its a variable vane turbo, so the turbo vanes turn according to the revs etc to produce a smoother bigger boost, and because the turbo kicks in about 1700rpm... is the flat spot/hesitation/lag something to do with the variable vanes and the point at which the turbo kicks in.

I must confess to having the 2013 remapped before I sold it, which made the acceleration a lot smoother by quite a margin.

Post #355894 30th Aug 2018 10:41 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

deleted - duplicate post

Post #355896 30th Aug 2018 10:43 am
Aimeetess1

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Is there a known fix for this common fault yet?

My 08 Freelander judders every couple of months for a split second, always going up hill doesn't matter how fast, what gear etc. It also struggles to idle sometimes and revs drops close to stalling then picks itself back up. Its on 96k so not crazy mileage.

Having done some searching it seems it could be anything, gearbox, crank sensor, diff, fuel filter... has anyone fixed it and not had a single issue since?

I emailed LR on here even though mine is out of warranty hoping they may be able to help Sad FL2 GS

Post #364310 21st Jan 2019 3:29 pm
Aimeetess1

CRC@LandRover wrote:
Hi All,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

If you are experiencing this concern on a 2.2L Diesel with VIN from BH216517 onwards, then book your vehicle in to your local Land Rover approved retailer.

Should you have further concerns or need any support, please contact me by PM with the following details:

Contact Name:
Tel Number:
Email Address:
Vehicle Reg:
Last 6 VIN:
Retailer booked with:
Booking Date:

I would be more than happy to liaise with the retailer if you are still experiencing concerns.

Regards,

Ryan

My Freelander 2 done this 4 times in a 2 mile journey on the way to work this morning, judders then instantly comes back. Seems worse when engines cold and its cold out (below 3 degrees) and accelerating.

I’ve pmed the Landrover account on here (had no reply as of yet) hoping they may be able to give some light on it. FL2 GS

Post #364368 22nd Jan 2019 9:27 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

With all due respect unless you are HRH Phillip Land Rover have no interest in supporting a car that old.

Your issue could be a multitude of failing older parts so to narrow it down have you had the fault codes read ? Someone on the end of a home computer does not have a slick answer as you have admitted yourself it could be anything. If you can't get a fault code to help its a case of fitting parts like crank sensors, sensors and fuel filters etc etc until you nail it down I am afraid but a good local independent may have come across it before if your lucks in. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #364389 22nd Jan 2019 10:47 am
Aimeetess1

That made me laugh. Hopefully they may help in any way would be great, even if they say no at least I asked but I do understand its 10 years old now. It may be a older model but it seems its a very common issue sounding the same as the 2011-14 models experiencing, so surely could be the same fault? Which is why I asked. Someone had one a similar age on another forum and LR got it in and it hasn't had a issue since.

It has low mileage but suppose it could be a few things.

Will phone around and speak to my local LR who are quite helpful with these things. FL2 GS

Post #364393 22nd Jan 2019 11:01 am
sova287

Slovakia 

Hallo,
is there any fix? I try to replace the throttle pedal but without change,
all winter the car ride smoothly (temperature to 10 degrees), but now is temperature +14-15 degrees and level hesitation between 1500-1700 rpm he's here again
the problem ill record on video last summer:
I do not know what to do

Last edited by sova287 on 6th Jan 2021 10:02 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #367867 5th Mar 2019 8:15 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Have you tried investigating info on web for 'Gearbox Flaring'.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285772

The Volvo uses the same gearbox.

Around the speed you are quoting the autobox 'lock up clutch' should be engaging, but also at about that speed or slightly higher the car will be disengaging the Haldex clutch to go from 4 wheel to 2 wheel drive.

As the problem is temperature sensitive I would have a look at changing the autobox fluid and cleaning out filters and channels in the autobox valve chamber. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #367870 5th Mar 2019 9:00 pm
sova287

Slovakia 

Thank you for your response
the gearbox it did not happen to me becouse I have changed the oil with flushing in 08/2018

it happens especially in the slower starting, when I little add more gas it does not do that "pcha pcha"

Post #367874 5th Mar 2019 9:20 pm
grod

Australia 

maybe this is just one of the things we must put up with when owning one of these machines....

g

Post #373230 7th Jun 2019 5:48 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I think that this is different to the classic 2011 problem which was on manuals and appeared when you pulled away from stationary where nothing happened for a second or two and then off you go. Was a bit scary pulling onto a roundabout ! 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #373231 7th Jun 2019 6:17 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

So after many years of suffering with this problem and LR not being able to fully resolve it, a new turbo seems to have eliminated all 3 types of hesitation/judder that I used to have. The turbo (or some part of it) failed a while back and parts were replaced, but I'd have to look up exactly which.

Thankfully I have an extended warranty, but that only covered part of the cost as I decided to go to an independent. My usual LR dealer expected me to wait 5 weeks before they would even take it in for diagnosis.

I discovered, too late for my use though, that the LR extended warranty offers 7 day car hire.

I hope that I am not tempting fate with posting this, but as it's made it through the recent warm weather without a single judder I am reasonably confident that it's fixed, for the time being at least.

Post #374580 4th Jul 2019 1:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 19 of 25 <123 ... 181920 ... 232425>