« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > MY 11 ECO Stop/Start unpredictable
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
rt

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
MY 11 ECO Stop/Start unpredictable

Does anyone have a predictable stop/start system? The other day I travelled 90 miles before having to stop at traffic lights - the engine kept running. I am aware of all the conditions that have to be met before the system will operate but over the last 5 months the engine has only stopped, when I think it should have, about 10 times. I have read other threads on this topic but cannot find any which say it works as expected.

Post #98559 12th Apr 2011 8:55 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Without going out to the car to read the manual, I think that the ECO Stop/Start only works between a certain temperature range. It may well be that the ambient air temperature recently has resulted in the ECO Stop/Start not working due to the aircon running or similar. Until the last few days of warm weather mine has worked predictably but recently it has not kicked in on a couple of occasions when the temperature guage was over 20.

Post #98565 12th Apr 2011 9:05 pm
rt

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

On the day in question the ambient temperature was 15C. On the rare occasions it has worked the ambient temperature has been as low as 5C.

Post #98570 12th Apr 2011 9:30 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

No probs with mine. Perhaps ask the dealer service department for advice and book it in if necessary. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #98595 12th Apr 2011 11:45 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

never use it the cost of changing flywheel or starter i think would out strip fuel saved Mr. Green but mine does work ok when i have left it on by accident. rainy-city
xs

Post #98598 13th Apr 2011 7:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

bigalf1961 wrote:
never use it the cost of changing flywheel or starter i think would out strip fuel saved Mr. Green but mine does work ok when i have left it on by accident.

my sentiments and experience exactly............if I want the engine to turn off I'll do it when and where I want.

also diesel engines do not like being start/stopped on a regular basis, and I don't care what anyone says about design and progress...................it just ain't right !!

Iain

Post #98600 13th Apr 2011 7:49 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

^+1 I think it will be a matter of time that when these generation of stop / start cars start to hit 3 / 4 yrs old and out of manufacturers warranty we will really start to see the ill effects of such strains on the engine...

If i remember rightly Citreon did one a while back but it flopped because of the problems.

Ultimatly I can see a whole bunch of cars with knackared flywheels, dodgy starter moters and batteries that no longer hold there charge! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #98632 13th Apr 2011 12:33 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Oh and I think it is a matter of time before some one comes up with a permanant off button that can be retro fitted! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #98633 13th Apr 2011 12:34 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I heard somewhere that the starter motor is heavy duty so that it can cope with all the stop start business. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #98635 13th Apr 2011 1:00 pm
athelstan

Works exactly as it should do from day one - excellent piece of kit.

Unlike the adaptive headlights that decide they want to have a rest and lock solid. Now on their fifth holiday in 17 months since the car was delivered. Software "reflashing" is clearly a temporary solution which is all LR CH seem to have as an answer to the problem. I don't understand why they don't replace the whole headlight unit or even just the drive motors Twisted Evil

Post #98637 13th Apr 2011 1:37 pm
Mark12

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Ipanema Sand
Re: MY 11 ECO Stop/Start unpredictable

rt wrote:
Does anyone have a predictable stop/start system? The other day I travelled 90 miles before having to stop at traffic lights - the engine kept running. I am aware of all the conditions that have to be met before the system will operate but over the last 5 months the engine has only stopped, when I think it should have, about 10 times. I have read other threads on this topic but cannot find any which say it works as expected.

The ECO system on my car seems to have a mind of its own. I have had the car for 5 weeks now and whilst it worked faultlessly for the 1st week, since then it seems to work about 50% of the time.

Post #98657 13th Apr 2011 8:13 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

There is a new generation of combined starter motor/alternator machine which does not engage onto the flywheel. The 'starternator' goes straight onto the crankshaft and will turn the engine over to normal tickover rpm and not 200/300 rpm as a conventional starter motor does. Thus EMS does not have to supply an enriched mixture to reach tickover. Starting is completely silent.
Unfortunately, FL2 still uses the conventional starter motor so in my eyes is not really a proper stop/start system and as mentioned before puts strain on the starter motor/flywheel. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #98685 13th Apr 2011 11:01 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

When I worked at BMW just after they introduced Stop/Start, they would reverse the function of the Eco button, so when the car was started it would default to Start/Stop turned off, and you turned it on with the button, but only if you said you were considering selling the car and going to another brand.

Food for thought that don't like it Thumbs Up

Our's is auto anyway so no problems here Very Happy Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #98720 14th Apr 2011 10:53 am
Downsized

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Galway Green

Cabin temperature seems to have the biggest effect on the stop/start on mine. If its a sunny day and the cabin is warm and the aircon is active ie cooling the cabin down, then it will not switch off, which from the manual seems to be the right behaviour. The actual outside temperature does not seem to have such an impact. There is multiple criteria so working out which one is being triggered at that point seems to be a bit tricky.
As to the reliability issue depends how good the design and engineering is, if its designed to work that way and the components have been engineered to the correct standards it should cause no more un-reliability than any other function. It all depends on your level of trust that clever designers and engineers have done their jobs right. After 3 landrovers in 12 years I am willing to trust that for the most part they are.

Post #98739 14th Apr 2011 1:07 pm
heliosuk

As downsized says, it's the internal temp of the cabin that has the biggest effect under the circumstances described.
The system looks for many signals but if the air con is on then this is one of the main ones and it's significant that an earlier post mentions this.
This is actually what is happening.
Suggestions that it impacts the starter and clutch system are not exactly correct, in fact quite wide of the mark.

Post #99773 25th Apr 2011 12:17 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>