Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > MY 11 ECO Stop/Start unpredictable
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
matty531

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

I have a 2012 model and the stop start only worked for a week, its been in to stratstones and discovered the battery is not up to the range where stop start will work, the battery shuts off prematurely, is there a votage regultor or is it part of the alternator, has anyone had this and what cure apart from charging the battery up which only works for a short while.

Post #175914 17th Mar 2013 2:32 pm
Gavster

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Hi - mine is in with Guy Salmon at the moment. Start Stop is very unpredictable, but I think this is a red herring. The real issue seems to be a drop in fuel efficiency and the start stop error is a symptom of this. I have recorded this happening (instant fuel mpg drops dramatically when problem surfaces). Land Rover swear they can't find a problem, but it has happened on the courtesy car this morning as well... It seems like an engine problem - I'm not a mechanic, but could it be the fuel injectors?? It seems like the car acts as if it is cold, so fuel efficiency drops and start stop ceases - I agree with previous posts that there are threshold points for the eco, but this is within those. Also, it happened on 6 mornings last week (not too cold) and yet didn't happen at the start of this week - when it is booked in to be looked at. If you never reset your trip computer, you may not see it the effect too lcearly on average fuel consumption, but try resetting every week for a while. Any ideas folks?

Post #221110 3rd Apr 2014 9:12 am
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

Mine doesn't work in the winter months. I think in my case it's battery related. When I put mine on charge after 20 minutes charger says the battery is fully charged. I measured the battery output at 12.1 volts, a bit low for a battery. This year I will get a new battery and see if that cures it. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #221115 3rd Apr 2014 11:06 am
matty531

Gavster wrote:
Hi - mine is in with Guy Salmon at the moment. Start Stop is very unpredictable, but I think this is a red herring. The real issue seems to be a drop in fuel efficiency and the start stop error is a symptom of this. I have recorded this happening (instant fuel mpg drops dramatically when problem surfaces). Land Rover swear they can't find a problem, but it has happened on the courtesy car this morning as well... It seems like an engine problem - I'm not a mechanic, but could it be the fuel injectors?? It seems like the car acts as if it is cold, so fuel efficiency drops and start stop ceases - I agree with previous posts that there are threshold points for the eco, but this is within those. Also, it happened on 6 mornings last week (not too cold) and yet didn't happen at the start of this week - when it is booked in to be looked at. If you never reset your trip computer, you may not see it the effect too lcearly on average fuel consumption, but try resetting every week for a while. Any ideas folks?

Hi, my stop start has never worked from new (2012), except for three times back to the dealer and all they did was charge the battery up, I charged the battery up my self and the same applied, worked for a few miles and then stopped again, definitely the battery is being shut of early before its charged to a point where the stop start works, I hear there is a fix for it now but haven't had the time to moan to the dealer, Matt

Post #221156 3rd Apr 2014 6:11 pm
Tricky118

United Kingdom 
HELP! Stop/start problem

I have just bought a 2010 Freelander 2 and the stop/start technology has a mind of it's own.
I am fully aware of the logbook parameters and a few others and have read every post on this forum on the subject.
Here is a scenario of what is happening.
The system is very intermittent and works less times than it does.
I have tried switching off as many of the electrics as possible e.g. Aircon, lights, heaters etc.
First thing in the morning I tested the battery with it connected to the car and it read 11.97v which seems low to me.
Took it to Halfords who tested the battery with the following result.
With engine running 14.4v.
With engine off and lights on full beam 12.3v and holding they said it was ok.
I even tested my brother,s VW Passat with the engine off and got 11.9v. Now that surprised me.
While towing my caravan the other day the stop/star worked and I was lead to believe it should be disabled when towing.
It also worked for the rest of that day even without the caravan.
The following day it was no go again and has been like that for three weeks.
I admit I mainly do short journeys but I'm sure it should work more often.
I intend to get it looked at during the next service but that is a while away yet.
I suspect this is probably a battery problem but have not ruled out the a towing electrics problem.
Are the above battery figures normal?
I don't really want to buy a new battery unless I have to.
I would welcome any suggestions or opinions.

PS. Can I put the battery on charge with it still connected to the vehicle.

Post #221784 10th Apr 2014 12:51 pm
matty531

I charged the battery up still connected and there were no issues, the stop start then worked for part of the next journey but gave up towards the end, I haven't checked any voltages but every time I have had it in to try and get it remedied(3 times so far) they say that its charging all right, the trouble is it shuts down the charge prematurely to below the level needed to operate the stop start as I said in my blog there is supposedly a fix for that now, I have still got a year to get it fixed under warranty, the issue isn't really a problem but we paid plenty for all these things and the low tax class is based on lowering the emissions by shutting the engine down when in town etc. I think your battery will be ok by what you described and its a Landover prob with ecu settings, incidentally It shouldn't work while towing, I have a caravan also, but having said that it hasn't worked since I bought it new, all other makes of cars work fine,

Post #221798 10th Apr 2014 2:42 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I checked my battery over Christmas, I hadn't used my car for a day. The voltage read at 12.16v. I was reading up on a website somewhere that this is classed as being about 50% charged. Now the only issue I have while checking the battery voltage is that the boot and courtesy light will be on for a while when the car was first unlocked. I don't know if this will significantly affect the voltage reading or not?? When I charge the battery with the charger we have at work (RAC Smart charger) after 15-20 minutes the charger says the battery is fully charged.

My battery is 4 years old so I will change it this year sometime, probably just before winter. The last two years of owning the car my stop/start has only really worked in the summer months.

If you are looking at buy a new battery, I've noticed that a lot of websites, when you put your details in, bring up 70Ah AGM batteries. I believe this is for the petrol version. The diesel version battery should be 80Ah with I think 800CCA. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #221803 10th Apr 2014 3:13 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Important to get an AGM battery for stop-start cars. Worth registering with Euro car parts - they seem to have an almost permanent sale on (and will e-mail you the discount code). Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #221805 10th Apr 2014 3:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12