Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > S or GS?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

"Weve been looking at CRVs today, my wifes favourite. She is worried that I will be unbearable to live with if I go for the Freelander and have problems with it due to reliability.
Thats still at the back of my mind however no matter how much I tell myself to play safe and buy toyota or honda I see a FL2 drive past and want one."

This is almost exactly where I was 6 months ago the only difference is that the wife only liked the CRV as it was a cheaper (for similar spec), had split rear shelf for top carrier bag handling and had a better interior finish...can you see the tie wraps anyone???

I was also very torn between the two, head would have said Honda but in the end when you look them both in the eye (or headlamps) the CRV is pugly.... Looking at them now I am so glad I went for FL2. What was I thinking?? The FL2 is handsome beast! So long as it doesnt fall to bits in the next 12 months... Rolling Eyes So far so good....no one is reporting big issues with the new FL2. The CRV looks like a shopping basket now in comparison. Its not logical Captain but Im much happier that I bought the 'mans' car.. Wink

S or GS?? I can't remember why we went for the GS. Im sure it had nothing to do with the off road bit as we never do...or will. The only thing we definately wanted was leather (transforms the feel of the car in my opinion to a luxury class and is kid freindly) and a sunroof. I dont think the sunroof was available on the S. You can get the leather for a under a grand by my (and other ) dealerships who have it done by an independant coach fitters.

Its your money Sir so be wary of advice of people who have already spent it.. Wink

As tempting as it is to put in another few grand for the GS :

If you dont need the terrain reponse (and who really needs it if you are an on-roader??), you dont need the steering controls (your right ..I never use them), and you are OK to fold in the mirrors on tight parking spaces ( I must admit I like this featuer a lot) and you are generally happy with the S and are OK that you wont get toooo stung on the residuals ( I think its true the GS will hold its value a little better) keep the money in your wallet as its a s**t load of cash and spend it on a nice holiday or something. Thumbs Up

Whatever, enjoy your purchasing decision and enjoy whatever you get!

S. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #14653 25th Feb 2008 12:09 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

The original freelanders main problem was rover parts non of them modern. The 1.8 petrol was rover, the td4 had a bmw diesel which was fine but a rover clutch which was too weak for the engine. On mine I had trouble with the front wiper motor and linkages - rover parts. Saying that on the whole my Fl1 was well built with an absence of rattles and squeaks.

Gladly the fl2 has no Rover parts that I know of. So I don't think there is much to worry about. I think the general experience of owners on this forum has been favourable, there are a few horror stories, but no worse than stories on the Audi forum.
My cousin ran his disco from a brand new N reg car until last year (in which time it progressed from being his best car to a farm run-about abused by all) It never had an expensive breakdown in all this time but he did have to drive it to the scrap yard eventually due to Mot repair costs.
Shame his brothers disco was as bad as his was good.

The fl2 is still a relativity young car, It seems to have had a few teething troubles but it seems these are all but sorted.

Touching wood as mine arrives fri/sat and I don't want to jinxs it. (all brands still throw out the odd Friday afternoon special)

Post #14654 25th Feb 2008 12:16 am
muddywheels

England 

I agree totally on adding extras - did it for years but lost loads on P/X so now buy car with spec closest to requirements and dont add anything.

As far as reliability goes - I had FL1 99-01, 2 Discos 01-06 and FL2 07+ and only problem ever had was flat battery due to DVD left on for kids too long when parked.

Had Toyota Landcruiser 97-99 because worried about reports of LR reliability - waited 3 months for parts and terrible dealer service so went off Japs.

Post #14677 25th Feb 2008 2:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I normally drive a FL2 SE, today i have a "S" as my HDC came up with a fault the other day

The car looks nearly the same from the outside has all the right curves in all the right places,

but inside ................. inside it feels cheap Crying or Very sad

I don't say this wanting to offened anybody who has the "S" model or even those thinking about which model to get

It doesn't somehow hit the nail on the head, IMO the stereo looks dated, cheap and tacky, no controls on the steering wheel, no electric seat adjustments,

There is a big blank space where the Terrain Responce dial should be. Shocked

Some of these things you'll get in a car that cost half the amount of the FL2 S

I know my car is the SE, and there is the XS & GS below and the HSE above and you pay for what you can afford, but looking over the range I can see why the GS is the one the Motor Reviewer people vote for.

I feel with GS you get the little bit of something the S lacks

All the style of a car that looks absolutly great from the outside and I feel the "S" deflated that feeling upon getting in

I know its alway worst getting into a lower spec car when you used to the extra toys and when they are not there they stand out, (or not as the case maybe)

Saying all this, Go with what you feel is the right choice for yourself, and just because some peolpe think the GS is better, do what you want to do, its your money, your driving the car and nobody will think you should have gone for the GS and think any worst of you.

We'll will just think welcome to the family Thumbs Up if you decide to join Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14685 25th Feb 2008 5:02 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Nicely put Npinks.

I went for the GS model because I wanted the spare tyre, (not the can of tyreweld) and also the rear luggage cover.

As you say, it's down to personal choice and budget............after all, they are all Land Rovers and they're British Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #14697 25th Feb 2008 7:39 pm
r12ure

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

I've been through the same process both on what spec and more importantly what colour.

I decided on the GS as there are enough gadgets to keep me happy and there ones I would actually use. I dont see the point in paying for things I would'nt make use of.

Colour is where I've taken my biggest departure from my norm. I'm fed up going for the safe trade in colours (silver, black or grey). instead I've decided to go for Rimini Red.

Delivery should be about 10th March and it's not coming fast enough. I cant wait to trade in the Toyota Yaris and get a new sister for my Discovery 3.

I've been looking through this forum for a wee while now and have been around on Disco3.co.uk for about a year or so. Most people seem happy with there Freelander 2's but like the Discovery 3 I'm expecting to have a few niggles, but I would'nt change the Discovery for anything and I'm hoping to enjoy the Freelander2 just as much.

Keep a look out for either the Discovery with the disco3 sticker on the back and when the Freelander arrives I'll get it suitably marked up too.

Post #14707 25th Feb 2008 9:31 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

You wont regret the colour it's the best . but the I am biased.

Post #14709 25th Feb 2008 10:15 pm
r12ure

I tend to think youre right Tandemman.
The pics in your gallery back that up but does it look just as good when it's filthy ?

Need to decide on side steps or side tubes now ........

Post #14720 25th Feb 2008 11:16 pm
chicken george

The best colour is black no caravan Laughing

Last edited by chicken george on 26th Feb 2008 12:59 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #14722 25th Feb 2008 11:27 pm
r12ure

Hi chicken george

I was close to buying a black 07 plate but dealer could'nt/would'nt make the numbers work so I walked away.
I like the grey as well but there seem to be a lot of them around here and I felt I really wanted something a bit different for me and another dealer did me a good deal on the 08 in rimini red (maybe it was because of the colour or because that's where I bought the disco3).

It's good to see the 'best colour' debate on here as well as Disco3.co.uk.
No doubt a silver owner will be along soon raving about how good it looks against privacy glass.............light the blue touch paper and stand well back.

Post #14724 26th Feb 2008 12:33 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

CG

Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14725 26th Feb 2008 12:51 am
chicken george

Black was actually at mrs georges insistence, she wont have red as it clashes with her hair! Black looks great but needs to be washed at least 3 times as everytime it dries all the missed bits show up Banging Head

My present Audi is black with black dash and headlining, thankfully it has red seats to brighten the cabin. We didn't choose the colours as we but bought it with 100 miles on the clock. It had been a surprise gift to someones wife, she hated it and sent it straight back to the dealers where we saw it and bought it for an excellent price Laughing

Post #14726 26th Feb 2008 12:53 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

r12ure wrote:
It's good to see the 'best colour' debate on here as well as Disco3.co.uk.
No doubt a silver owner will be along soon raving about how good it looks against privacy glass.............light the blue touch paper and stand well back.

you'll see in this Poll that grey is the most popular.....and therefore by default is the best! Rolling with laughter

And that's my completely unbiased opinion as well Whistle Laughing

Post #14727 26th Feb 2008 5:05 am
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Besides "best" colour for our Freely 2 I share Gambba's unbiased view that stornoway grey suits the Freely 2 very well. It changes colour depending on light fall, and, after all, it is relatively resistant against dirt.
But what has impressed me most when I collected my Freely has been the excellent quality of the paint.
With regard to reliability I have had so far only German "premium" brands with no problems at all.
My Freely 2 is my first British car, and I have been very reluctant to change my BMW X3 against the Freely for the reported problems with Landrover in general.
But - surprise- my Freely 2 is well build, I have had no problems so far, non whatsoever, and the looks, TD4 engine, automatic gear box and ride quality are outstanding.
One thing -if I may address this issue: I read that the UK-owners of the Freely have increasing problems with their local repair shops. Look at the reports on the issue of fixing the sun-roof, as an example. Such things are fortunately unknown in Germany as the LR-repair shops are qualified and well informed in general.
I would be interested to receive your feedback what may be the reason of such a difference in service quality.

YF

Post #14733 26th Feb 2008 8:11 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

yamaha-fan wrote:
I would be interested to receive your feedback what may be the reason of such a difference in service quality.

YF

Quite simply it is the quality of the workers.

I'm sorry to say it but the car industry is at the lowest end of the engineering structure and the pay is directly reflected, but also with more and more school leavers wanting high paid office jobs the "trade jobs" are loosing out.

The above is proven in that the influx of Polish workers in the UK find jobs without any issue, yet there are plenty of unemployed brits out there, and this seems to me to be that Brits in the lower pay scale think that they are somehow above these jobs....and instead it's easier to simply go and collect money from the working tax payers through the government benefits office. [Rant off]

In addition although cars are becoming more sophisticated in telling us what is wrong wth them, they are only doing that because of the more sophisticated systems on the car and therefore they are by nature technically more challanging. So it goes without saying less skilled (read this as less clever) mechanics and more complicated cars is not a good mix.

I've not dealt with German car mechanics, but I have dealt with many on the lift truck business and my personal opinion is that generally speaking they are relatively passionate (focussed) about what they are doing, and with this means that they don't just know the basics, but they want to know more.....and this is what makes one a professional.
Now sometimes this passion is simply misguided, but for me that is what passion or focus is about and does sometimes.

Post #14736 26th Feb 2008 8:49 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>