Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2008 FL 2.2 TD4 ..... Egr blanking??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
scoobyman2000

2008 FL 2.2 TD4 ..... Egr blanking??

Hi guys and girls!

New Freelander owner here and loving it!! And looking for any improvements possible!!

I have always owned Landies and always blanked the EGR's for better performance and MPG!!

I've noticed the older 2.0ltr Freelander EGR blanking kits are available .... But can't find a kit for the Ford 2.2ltr common rail TD4??

Are these available?? Has anyone done it?!

Anyother hints, tips or MOD's would be greatly apprecated!!

Vince

Post #158281 21st Oct 2012 9:07 pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I might be sending you on a wild Goose chase, but Bell Auto Services would be my first point of call to check if he has anything - kit or advice.

Good luck,
Harvey

Post #158289 21st Oct 2012 10:17 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Anyone out there know the technical side of this? What does the EGR do, and how safe or otherwise is it to blank it off? Will this affect the electronics? Is it something that the insurers would class as a modification and would want to know about? Is it financially or performance-wise worthwhile anyway? Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #158296 21st Oct 2012 10:35 pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Without sounding rude, it would be easier to Google egr valves.

But basically they feed a little bit of the exhausted gases from the engine back into the inlet. This is supposed to reduce emissions/unburnt hydrocarbons, etc. But can the EGRs can mis-operate and mess with your car such that they choke performance, causing you to use more fuel.
People blank them off to stop these problems/prevent them occurring. Generally the older the car/higher the mileage the more prone they are to cause problems. Not saying this is the case all the time.

Funnily enough our old Astra 1.6 16v petrol (~2003) had a egr go a couple of times and it was frightening to drive, especially at junctions. Cleaned the old one/threw a new one in and she was right as rain for 6-12 months until it went a again.

Hope that helps,
Harvey

Post #158297 21st Oct 2012 10:42 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

the EGR valve is located on the inlet manifold and takes some of the burnt exhaust gases from the exhaust and re burns them to reduce harmfull fumes given off by combustion and also emmissions i do believe that its not possable to blank off the egr on a freelander 2 because there is somthing programed into the ecu to stop you doing this i believe if the egr is working well i doubt if you will notice any differance in the engine if you do decide to try and blank it off as stated earlier i would take advice and tread carfully if you go ahead Exclamation rainy-city
xs

Post #158306 22nd Oct 2012 7:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EYorkshire

No-one has managed a working EGR blanking kit on the Freelander 2 with Euro Emissions IV and V. It goes into limp mode immediately and the software has not been cracked as yet.

Another point is that earlier FL2's are Euro IV and later cars registered as Euro V compliant, so any EGR removal could take the emissions back a step and could result in an MOT failure if you can't make the figure the car was registered with.

Post #158308 22nd Oct 2012 8:22 am
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #158346 22nd Oct 2012 4:13 pm
FL2Printzern

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: 2008 FL 2.2 TD4 ..... Egr blanking??

scoobyman2000 wrote:
Hi guys and girls!

New Freelander owner here and loving it!! And looking for any improvements possible!!

I have always owned Landies and always blanked the EGR's for better performance and MPG!!

I've noticed the older 2.0ltr Freelander EGR blanking kits are available .... But can't find a kit for the Ford 2.2ltr common rail TD4??

Are these available?? Has anyone done it?!

Anyother hints, tips or MOD's would be greatly apprecated!!

Vince

Hi !
This is an old thread, but if it is still interesting I have some news for you...
Cheers!

Post #202940 13th Oct 2013 6:53 pm
Madscientist

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

What news is that? Im still interested? Smile

Post #202967 13th Oct 2013 9:45 pm
FL2Printzern

Hi!
Well, actually I do not know if it is news or not, but I have removed the EGR system - or funtion from my Freelander 2 2007. The hardware part is super easy - just slide in a blanking plate between the trottle body and the hose from the EGR. I made my own, but I think you can find on on the net that fits. The second part is easy too, but involve reading out the ECU eprom and do a little change in it and flash it back. The problem here is that most people does not have the equipment to read out the eprom from the ECU.
So far I have only positive experience with this mod. The pollution even decreased on the MOT test! Milage is 0,7L/10Km (from 0,67 to 0,73 depend on driving pattern)
Cons: I think it will take a little longer time before the engine gets warm, because now it get fresh cold air into the cylinders and not lukewarm exhaust - maybe it will be more detectable when it is 20 degrees below zero.
My car does not have DPF.

Post #202975 13th Oct 2013 10:45 pm
alex_pescaru

Can you please tell us where the modifications must be made on the firmware?
Because, you know, there is the original VBF file which contains the engine firmware in the SDD software...
And those that have an J2534 compatible interface and the SDD software can easily flash the ECU.
Thank you very much!

Post #202977 13th Oct 2013 11:02 pm
FL2Printzern

I will try to post it tomorrow, but now is it good night from Norway! Yawn

Post #202979 13th Oct 2013 11:09 pm
Madscientist

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Ace! Some progress! Very Happy just need a tuner with the hardware/software to make he changes as well as a remap. How long have you been running this mod? Have you had any engine check lights or other issues other than the longer warmup time as mentioned?

Regards
Chris..

Post #202997 14th Oct 2013 9:40 am
FL2Printzern

Hi!
No issues whatsoever! Running smoother than ever. No DTC from EGR and other DTC is working as far as I know.
I have not removed the EGR valve and tube. The sensor plugs is still connected. If you run HawKey you will notice that EGR values is running up and down, but nothing is calculated in the ECU.
No warning lamps! NOT more fuel consumption! Actually it is less, but this is partly because now I can relax i six gear at 1500 rpm without beeing stressed about klogging EGR, cat and injectors. (I also use a bit of two stroke oil in the diesel tank and a little nozzle cleaner from time to time too) Talking about cat... I actually removed this 6 month ago, but this is not neccesary if you are not planning to break the 190ps "limit" Smile
I have been running without EGR for about 2 month now. Next month I am going to Alientech in Italy for a chip, or diesel remapping course. You know when you learn a little about a subject it raises a lot of new questions and so far I am only experimenting on my own car.
Talk more tonight - busy now.

Post #203004 14th Oct 2013 10:43 am
Adrian888

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Looking forward to the update! This is something that interests me however i ahve a later 2009 with engine stop/start (non DPF) so will be interesting to hear if you think it will work on mine without any side effects. I also have a DTUK tuning box running on mine at the moment. eh tu?

Post #203015 14th Oct 2013 1:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>