Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2008 FL 2.2 TD4 ..... Egr blanking??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
FL2Printzern

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi!
Do you know which ECU model your car has? I think they changed from Bosch EDC16 to EDC17 in 2009 or 2010
I believe the EDC17 has to be removed from the car and programmed off line. I am not sure about this, but it seems they are trying to make it more and more difficult to do it all through the OBD2 port. Maybe someone can assist in modifying the original Vehicle Definition File from the IDS/SSD? I am pretty sure my kess flasher can not read the EDC17. I do not think your DTUK box is a problem

Post #203030 14th Oct 2013 2:49 pm
Adrian888

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Not sure but given the problems we had when trying to remap the car earlier this year (hence the tuning box) I suspect its' the EDC. My car is an early 2009 spec model. eh tu?

Post #203045 14th Oct 2013 5:29 pm
FL2Printzern

Well, to find out what ECU you have now, maybe you have to give me a photo of the label... Smile
Takes you 10 min to remove...
Tell me if you need instruktions.

Post #203049 14th Oct 2013 5:45 pm
alex_pescaru

Thank you very much for the binary files.

Those files seems to be the DATA section of the ECU.
It will be very useful if you can find out which ID/Serial Number has each section on your engine ECU...
For sure, the EXE section is: 6G91-14C204-BE
The DATA: ??? (I believe it starts with 6G92-12K532-xxx, xxx being???)
The SIGCFG: ???
Could you connect the tester to the car and tell us?
You find them under "Module Information", if you use SDD.

If you could find this, I can try to modify the DATA VBF file from SDD.

The EDC16 was still used on MY2010.

Thank you!

Post #203061 14th Oct 2013 6:27 pm
FL2Printzern

Adrian888 wrote:
Not sure but given the problems we had when trying to remap the car earlier this year (hence the tuning box) I suspect its' the EDC. My car is an early 2009 spec model.

Ok, there you go. According to Alex here they used EDC16 in 2009 an 2010 too. (EDC16CP39) So there is no problem reading this firmware out through the OBD2 port. But you must have a tool that support your car. PowerPro and Kessv2 from Alientech does work excellent on your car, but maybe Alex here can com up with something later using the IDS/SSD? I will try to send him some info tomorrow. Cheers!

Post #203064 14th Oct 2013 7:11 pm
Adrian888

Thanks for your response. For info the problem I had was with trying to install an Autologix remap which cancelled out the stop-start function and the remap suppliers couldn't seem to resolve the issue. However given beneficial experience on other diesels (VAG and PSA) with EGR blanking/bypass I am a big believer in this 'mod'. eh tu?

Post #203144 15th Oct 2013 9:11 am
FL2Printzern

Do you have the original files from your car?

Post #203146 15th Oct 2013 9:31 am
FL2Printzern

Those files seems to be the DATA section of the ECU.
It will be very useful if you can find out which ID/Serial Number has each section on your engine ECU...
For sure, the EXE section is: 6G91-14C204-BE
The DATA: ??? (I believe it starts with 6G92-12K532-xxx, xxx being???)
The SIGCFG: ???
Could you connect the tester to the car and tell us?
You find them under "Module Information", if you use SDD.

If you could find this, I can try to modify the DATA VBF file from SDD.

The EDC16 was still used on MY2010.

Thank you![/quote]

Hi!
If there is a menu choice called "Module Information" please tell me where it is - I can't find it, but here you have the module info from when I pretend to change my ECU again. Sorry for the poor .jpg quality, I used a bit high compression.

Click image to enlarge

Post #203158 15th Oct 2013 11:19 am
alex_pescaru

Re: VBF modification for No EGR
Here is the updated DATA VBF file with your modifications for blanking the EGR, for the specified engine.
It can be used and programmed from inside the IDS/SDD.
Now lets see who will be the guinea pig, because I can't try it. As you can see in the VBF file header, the data set is for manual transmission, non-DPF, Euro4 engines and I have an automatic transmission car...
Maybe you can try it?...
https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user..._NOEGR.rar

Re: Module Information.
On the Session Tab, on the middle left edge of the screen is a rectangle area with the car's picture on top and various pictograms below it. One of them is Module Information.

Post #203185 15th Oct 2013 2:39 pm
FL2Printzern

Hi!

I tried to flash the moded file, but my after some download time I got an error and I had to abort. After that my car did not start - didn't even crank and the light on the dash was just nonsense. Did you recalculate the checksum on this file? I think that might the problem - we need to recalculate, probably the IDS cannot do this on the fly.
I reflashed with the original file again and everything is ok now.

Post #203208 15th Oct 2013 6:12 pm
alex_pescaru

The CRCs are recalculated OK. If the CRC is not OK then it says so. (Checksum error, bla, bla...)
That error has nothing to do with the CRCs... In fact is thrown even before calculating the final CRC.

The file is downloaded into the car in blocks of a certain length (128-256 bytes), because the ECU upload/download buffers are small. Each chunk/packet of information is given a sequential number and downloaded. It can happen, that because of a communication error, a block is/was lost and then that error is thrown.
Could you please retry the process? It can be a pure coincidence/glitch that this error appeared...

How did you downloaded the files? When it said that there is no need to update, because the files are the same, you still pressed Go (green tick), right?
If yes, on which file did it said that? The first (6G91-14C204-BE - the EXE file, with the real program), or the second (the modified one - 6G92-12K532-AJ - which is the DATA one)? The order of downloading is EXE, then DATA.
Because if it was on the first, it's normal it didn't started, there was no EXEcutable file on the ECU. It was blank, after the erase.

And, you did replaced the 6G92-12K532-AJ.VBF file with the modified one, by cutting that _NOEGR suffix from it, right?
Sorry if I offended you with these questions, if the stuff seems obvious, but just to be sure... Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #203210 15th Oct 2013 6:23 pm
FL2Printzern

Don't worry you do not offend me. Yes, I cut out the _NOEGR and let the IDS download the files in turn as it normally does. It seems to be close to the end of the download process this happend.
I tried once more as you suggested. This time with another laptop with slightly newer prog versions. Same Censored happend.
I remember from the good old days when I was modyfying hard disk tables in the old IBM AT bios. If I corrected the checksum and wrote the last byte in the end of the file - let us say AB, the computer was dead. The unmodified bios had checsum EC. I had to put in dummy data in some unused area to be able to keep the original checksum of EC. Can there be som other dependencies here towards the other files? Just a thought.....
And remember when I copy back the original file it download correctly and the car is starting again. It will not be much sleep on you tonight... Smile
The -AJ file was last in queue.

Post #203240 15th Oct 2013 9:10 pm
alex_pescaru

I don't know why it doesn't work on your side...

You were right, there was not much sleep on this night.
I went ahead and I've modified my DATA section, for my automatic car, in my specific VBF file (9G92-12K532-VWA.VBF), in the same place where your car is modified.
I've recomputed the two CRCs that need to be modified and I've went to the car and below is the result.
As you can see, all went OK. The engine starts and run OK. Now I will have to wait to see if it's all OK with the EGR. Or better said, the lack of it...

So, I really don't know what's happening on your car/laptop...

Post #203276 16th Oct 2013 12:13 am
Adrian888

Well, apart from the above being double dutch to me if/when this is sorted I will have a word with my LR 'man' and see if he is willing to try it on mine. All I have so far established is the EGR is different to the PSA version of this engine. I had a look on fleabay at blanking plates and there is another thread somewheer on the forum which advised theer is a difference. eh tu?

Post #203325 16th Oct 2013 1:04 pm
FL2Printzern

Hi!
Try to find a plate like this, that way you do not need to remove the pin bolts - just slide it in. The Citroen fits sort of, but you have to adjust the bolt holes a bit. I can measure center to center it you want.

Post #203328 16th Oct 2013 1:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>