Home > General > Driving on snow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
attox

Italy 
Driving on snow

Winter is approaching.

Has anybody experienced driving on snow yet?
A part the tyres that play an important role (the M+S fitted on most models are not really thermal snow tyres), how do you compare your experience with other SUVs or 4x4 cars?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Post #8593 16th Oct 2007 10:46 am
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue
Re: Driving on snow

attox wrote:
Winter is approaching.

Has anybody experienced driving on snow yet?
A part the tyres that play an important role (the M+S fitted on most models are not really thermal snow tyres), how do you compare your experience with other SUVs or 4x4 cars?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hi there.

I have not yet driven Freelander 2 on snow (as I will get it delivered in December), but I have put down great effort in finding the best tyres for my FL 2.

Long story short: I ended up with choosing Conti 4x4 IceContact (without dubs) in dim: 225/70/16.

Other safe choices are: Nokian SU 5 or Nokian R-SUV (not yeat on the market), or Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3.

Very important: Choose 16" rims for your tyres. They will give you the best grip. 17" not so good, 18" is useless and 19" is totally useless. So more important than choosing the "best" tyres is to choose 16" rims.

Chains are not necessairy unless you are driving in a meter of snow. Some experts say it is better to let some air out of your tyres than using chains.

A test performed here in Norway showed that S+M tyres are totally useless (almost dangerous) on snow and ice. So whatever you do do, dont use that.

Hope this was helpful. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #8594 16th Oct 2007 12:17 pm
Goldstone69

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Not likely to get any snow until January/February even then it won`t be much but i can guarantee two things will happen 1. The country will grind to a halt 2. FL2 owners will rush out to there cars stick there terrain response on Snow and head out into the blizzard with a big silly grin from ear to ear Very Happy

Post #8605 16th Oct 2007 3:05 pm
VIKING

Goldstone69 wrote:
Not likely to get any snow until January/February even then it won`t be much but i can guarantee two things will happen 1. The country will grind to a halt 2. FL2 owners will rush out to there cars stick there terrain response on Snow and head out into the blizzard with a big silly grin from ear to ear Very Happy

Well, yeah..... But terrain response will not be of too much help if your tyres are wrong. (useless) Whistle 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #8607 16th Oct 2007 3:21 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Quote:
ery important: Choose 16" rims for your tyres. They will give you the best grip

Why are smaller rims better than a set of 18" rims, I would have through more tyre making contact would be better

I say this as i have seen those big brutes in Iceland with hugh tyres and there go all over in snow conditions

Post #8608 16th Oct 2007 3:28 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I believe that it's to do with the tyre width - i.e 18" rims are wider than 16" rims.

Lower profile, wide tyres merely "float" on the surface due to the vehicle weight being distributed over a larger surface area.

However in the snow, more grip is obtained with narrower tyres. If you watch the WRC Rally for example - then when they are driving on snow / ice they use very thin tyres to cut into the snow.

Basically - it's pretty sensible to use the correct tyres for a 1800Kg FL2 Thumbs Up

Post #8609 16th Oct 2007 4:21 pm
VIKING

npinks wrote:
Quote:

Why are smaller rims better than a set of 18" rims, I would have through more tyre making contact would be better

I say this as i have seen those big brutes in Iceland with hugh tyres and there go all over in snow conditions

The easy answer is: More rubber in contact with the snow, -the better the grip.

The recommended tyresize for FL 2 from Land Rover is: 215/75/16.

However, this size does not excist. Pirelli doesnt have this size, and no other "good" tyre-manufactorer either.
So I dont understand why Land Rover recommend a dimension that does practically not excist.

(I found one obscure manufactorer who had this size, but I had never heard of them before.)

So: 225/70/16 is then to be the recommended size for winther-tyres for FL 2.

Re Iceland: Next time you see this, watch not only the rims, but how much rubber is put on the rims.
16" rim would not be too ideal for a tractor...... Whistle 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Last edited by VIKING on 16th Oct 2007 4:48 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #8610 16th Oct 2007 4:42 pm
simon

United Kingdom 

VIKING wrote:
A test performed here in Norway showed that S+M tyres are totally useless (almost dangerous) on snow and ice. So whatever you do do, dont use that.

Well the snow we had in the UK early this year (it was very bad for a couple of days in Shropshire / Worcs and Herefordshire) was tackled very safely with the stock M&S rated Wrangler HP's in 18" on the D3... she never lost grip once even on the slippery bits where others were having big issues.

Even managed to tow a few cars up these slopes without even the TC kicking in Thumbs Up

Our snow is I would guess far wetter than the dryer very cold snow you get over there... probably makes a difference.

Low range also helps a huge amount too... not that you have that option on the FL2.

Just wanted the UK folk here not to panic too much if they have mud and snow rated tyres Wink

Post #8611 16th Oct 2007 4:47 pm
Goldstone69

Goldstone69 wrote:

sorry i should have said.......

Not likely to get any snow until January/February even then it won`t be much but i can guarantee two things will happen 1. The country will grind to a halt 2. FL2 owners will rush out to there cars stop ....walk back get there set of 4x4 IceContact (without dubs) in dim: 225/70/16 tyres which they had sensibly purchased earlier in the year change all the tyres then head out into the blizzard (actually 2cm of snow ) with a big silly grin from ear to ear Very Happy

Post #8612 16th Oct 2007 4:55 pm
VIKING

simon wrote:
VIKING wrote:

Well the snow we had in the UK early this year (it was very bad for a couple of days in Shropshire / Worcs and Herefordshire) was tackled very safely with the stock M&S rated Wrangler HP's in 18" on the D3... she never lost grip once even on the slippery bits where others were having big issues.

Just wanted the UK folk here not to panic too much if they have mud and snow rated tyres Wink

That could be. Maybe if you only have a little bit of snow for a short period of time. Wet & slushy, -melting away at once.

Here the tyre-tests are performede in severe winther-conditions on:

Snow. Lots & lots of snow.
Ice: Slippery and wet, and dry ice. Often performed on frozen lakes both for snow and ice.
Asfalt: Dry and wet.

No tyres are perfect for all conditions, so everyone has to evaluate for one self which conditions is most applicable.

But the ones concidered overall best is Conti, Nokian, Bridgestone and Michellin. Michellin not so good for SUV's though.

Here are some photoes

http://www.motor.no/tester/dekk/article164070.ece

Wanna take a spin? Cool 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #8613 16th Oct 2007 4:59 pm
VIKING

Goldstone69 wrote:
Goldstone69 wrote:

Not likely to get any snow until January/February even then it won`t be much but i can guarantee two things will happen 1. The country will grind to a halt 2. FL2 owners will rush out to there cars stop ....walk back get there set of 4x4 IceContact (without dubs) in dim: 225/70/16 tyres which they had sensibly purchased earlier in the year change all the tyres then head out into the blizzard (actually 2cm of snow ) with a big silly grin from ear to ear Very Happy

Hmmm... I really think you got it right. You only forgot to mention your skies heading back for the tyres. Laughing 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Last edited by VIKING on 16th Oct 2007 5:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #8614 16th Oct 2007 5:01 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

see picture 10 - does this look wide or narrow ......... Yawn

Post #8615 16th Oct 2007 5:04 pm
Goldstone69

Quote:
Hmmm... I really think you got it right. You only forgot to mention your skies heading back for the tyres.

skis no way i`ll be snowboarding Cool (will also pack huskies and sled just in case) Laughing

Post #8616 16th Oct 2007 5:12 pm
VIKING

Goldstone69 wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm... I really think you got it right. You only forgot to mention your skies heading back for the tyres.

skis no way i`ll be snowboarding Cool (will also pack huskies and sled just in case) Laughing

For two centimetres of snow? Hmmm... I'm still having my summer-tyres on then. Cool 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #8617 16th Oct 2007 5:18 pm
attox

Italy 

VIKING wrote:
npinks wrote:
Quote:

The easy answer is: More rubber in contact with the snow, -the better the grip.

The recommended tyresize for FL 2 from Land Rover is: 215/75/16.

However, this size does not excist. Pirelli doesnt have this size, and no other "good" tyre-manufactorer either.
So I dont understand why Land Rover recommend a dimension that does practically not excist.

(I found one obscure manufactorer who had this size, but I had never heard of them before.)

So: 225/70/16 is then to be the recommended size for winther-tyres for FL 2.

Thanks VIKING,

I understand your winter conditions are very extreme, so appreciate your suggestion.
Unfortunately my local regulations do not allow to use different sizes than shown on the registration card, that is 215/75-16 (6.5 J x 16 rim), 235/65-17 (7.5 J x 17 rim) + etc... so excluding the first one because of tyre unavalability the first usable size becomes 235/65-17.

Post #8633 16th Oct 2007 6:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>