Home > General > Driving on snow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
attox

Italy 
Re: Driving on snow

VIKING wrote:

Long story short: I ended up with choosing Conti 4x4 IceContact (without dubs) in dim: 225/70/16.

Other safe choices are: Nokian SU 5 or Nokian R-SUV (not yeat on the market), or Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3.

Hi Viking,

probably my choice will go for the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3, also because Conti 4x4 IceContact are not available on my market. The Conti CrossContact sold here inspite is a very good tyre is not so 4x4 specific as the IceContact.
My only concerning with the Bridgestone is that reading some comments (all positive) I found the following technical note:

"It features Bridgestone's Link Multicell Compound which is glass fiber reinforced to enhance vehicle stability on dry roads while it helps disperse water to reduce the risk of slipping on the thin surface film of water that makes ice so dangerous. This allows the Blizzak DM-Z3 to approach the traction provided by a studded tire on ice...without the use of studs.

NOTE: The first 55% of the Blizzak DM-Z3 tread depth features the Link Multicell Compound while the remaining 45% features a standard winter tire compound."

If I understood well once you pass the first 55% of the tred depth it is loosing this property. What do you think?

Thanks
attox

Post #11071 2nd Dec 2007 9:12 am
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Hi Attox.

I think you may have made a very good choice. The Bridgestone-tyres won a test here, where they tested only SUV-tyres on SUV's. So I think you have chosen well. Thumbs Up

The technical stuff you refer to, I cannot comment as that is far beyond my expertise. I leave to the experts to comment that. The only thing I know, is that when a tyre is 4 years old (whether you have used it or not), you must change the tyre. By then the rubber will become too hard to be useful. So maybe wearing off the 55% will take you 3 or 4 years anyway?

Attox, please do tell us here on this forum your experiences after driving on snow, ice, wet asfalt etc.

Happy winterly driving. Smile 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #11086 2nd Dec 2007 3:15 pm
attox

Italy 

VIKING wrote:
Hi Attox.

I think you may have made a very good choice. The Bridgestone-tyres won a test here, where they tested only SUV-tyres on SUV's. So I think you have chosen well. Thumbs Up

The technical stuff you refer to, I cannot comment as that is far beyond my expertise. I leave to the experts to comment that. The only thing I know, is that when a tyre is 4 years old (whether you have used it or not), you must change the tyre. By then the rubber will become too hard to be useful. So maybe wearing off the 55% will take you 3 or 4 years anyway?

Attox, please do tell us here on this forum your experiences after driving on snow, ice, wet asfalt etc.

Happy winterly driving. Smile

Thanks, Viking!

thanks for your advise. I agree completely with you, after a few years a winter tyre has to be disregarded anyway, my only concerning was that not to buy one of those "false" thermic tyres where you have only an initial layer with a very good grip on ice and then nothing.
Anyway I will go and order the Bridgestone. I cannot yet test them because my Free2 will only arrive in January.
Happy winterly driving to you too.

Last edited by attox on 2nd Dec 2007 10:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #11098 2nd Dec 2007 5:07 pm
attox

Italy 

attox wrote:
VIKING wrote:
Hi Attox.

Happy winterly driving. Smile

Thanks, Viking!

thanks for your advise. I agree completely with you, after a few years a winter tyre has to desregarded anyway, my only concerning was that not keep one of those "false" thermic tyres where you have only an initial layer with a very good grip on ice and then nothing.
Anyway I will go and order the Bridgestone. I cannot yet test them because my Free2 will only arrive in January.
Happy winterly driving to you too.

Post #11099 2nd Dec 2007 5:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345