« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > SLICK 50 engine treatment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
valleyboy

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black
SLICK 50 engine treatment

Is this stuff any good? I'm thinking of adding a bottle to my FL2. It's a 3 year old diesel and had done 21000 miles from new (bought myself)

I remember using this stuff many years ago on a Ford Sierra petrol car, and it seemed to have an improvement on the fuel consumption and engine noise.

Steve.

Post #97380 2nd Apr 2011 10:33 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Rather than add slick50 to my then 12 year old Defender I invested in a bottle of Miller's Diesel additive and Cetane enhancer.
After running a couple of tank's full of it there was a noticable reduction in engine noise (not difficult in a Defender), it ran smoother and less black particles in the exhaust, there is injector cleaner in Millers which is what made the difference. I haven't put any in now for 2 years and it's running smoothly and cleanly How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #97389 2nd Apr 2011 1:02 pm
valleyboy

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black

The Slick 50 stuff is supposed to make a film of Teflon stick to all internal metal parts, thus reducing friction, especially on start up.
Still not sure if it's worth forking out around the £26 mark though.

Post #97390 2nd Apr 2011 1:04 pm
EYorkshire

NASA doesn't like it, which means the Space Shuttle probably uses 2SO instead.

Quote:
PTFE is a solid which is added to engine oil and coats the moving parts of the engine.

However, such solids seem even more inclined to coat non-moving parts, like oil passages and filters. After all, if it can build up under the pressures and friction exerted on a cylinder wall, then it stands to reason it should build up even better in places with low pressures and virtually no friction.

This conclusion seems to be borne out by tests on oil additives containing PTFE conducted by the NASA Lewis Research Center, which said in their report, "In the types of bearing surface contact we have looked at, we have seen no benefit. In some cases we have seen detrimental effect. The solids in the oil tend to accumulate at inlets and act as a dam, which simply blocks the oil from entering. Instead of helping, it is actually depriving parts of lubricant"

Post #97395 2nd Apr 2011 1:27 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

EYorkshire wrote:
NASA doesn't like it, which means the Space Shuttle probably uses 2SO instead.

Quote:
PTFE is a solid which is added to engine oil and coats the moving parts of the engine.

However, such solids seem even more inclined to coat non-moving parts, like oil passages and filters. After all, if it can build up under the pressures and friction exerted on a cylinder wall, then it stands to reason it should build up even better in places with low pressures and virtually no friction.

This conclusion seems to be borne out by tests on oil additives containing PTFE conducted by the NASA Lewis Research Center, which said in their report, "In the types of bearing surface contact we have looked at, we have seen no benefit. In some cases we have seen detrimental effect. The solids in the oil tend to accumulate at inlets and act as a dam, which simply blocks the oil from entering. Instead of helping, it is actually depriving parts of lubricant"

Have you got any REAL proof????? Rolling with laughter 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #97398 2nd Apr 2011 2:11 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I do, but due to my job I can't tell you or they pull my finger nails out with pliers Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #97399 2nd Apr 2011 2:23 pm
EYorkshire

^ Rolling with laughter

Is my word not good enough, my knowledge knows no bounds.
Try 2sO next time instead of cooking oil, it's the elixir of life and will make you feel like a youngster Laughing

Post #97400 2nd Apr 2011 2:23 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: SLICK 50 engine treatment

valleyboy wrote:
Is this stuff any good? I'm thinking of adding a bottle to my FL2. It's a 3 year old diesel and had done 21000 miles from new (bought myself)

Steve.

Never put any in the gearbox thinking it will make it quieter, it does! but as you cant select any gears when its cold, it doesnt go anywhere to make a noise. I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #97403 2nd Apr 2011 2:46 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Who realy cares if NASA dont like it ??? we are running cars not bloody space ships and our cars dont usualy leave the ground Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Ive used slick 50 for years in all my cars, though I did run one with out it in and found over 80,000 miles the car that did not have it in I found a lot more wear and tear on engine componants.
The worst effected parts were the over head camshafts, cam followers. As the top part of the engine is always the last parts to get an oil feed every time the engine is turned over theres a short time these parts are not being lubricated.
Greater engine wear over higher mileage results in more brake downs and less fuel efficiant.
I have done complete engine stripdowns and rebuilds on many engines including four of my own and have seen for my self the results.
So its up to you. I for one know what I use and will continue to use Unless the day comes when my car can travel at over several thousand miles an hour and can fly to the moon. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #97406 2nd Apr 2011 3:04 pm
EYorkshire

ummm! I've heard of NASA but not you, can I have some proof please with photos. Laughing

as an aside, a lot of NASA's technology and innovation has made it's way down to the humble car. Thumbs Up

Post #97409 2nd Apr 2011 3:34 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Dont tempt fate, or soon we will have a South African know all FCensored all, telling us we are all idiots for not bowing to his superior intellect Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #97415 2nd Apr 2011 5:52 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Got to agree with SS, I've used Slick50 for years with excellent results every time. Thumbs Up We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #97442 2nd Apr 2011 8:04 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

No I do not have any photos or any documented proof. weather you have heard of me or not is not important. Yes who hasent heard od NASA but thats not my point, Im only sharing my personal knowledge and experiance to some one who has asked a direct question that directly relates to my findings.
There was many tests done by ther makers of slick 50 many years ago running engines with no oil in them,just slick 50 for a short distance with no damaging effect. This showed the lubrication effect it had on the moving parts which did not heat up and melt due to friction.
Im sure if you looked into it you will see much documented tests then you can judge for your self. Have a nice day Shocked

Post #97489 3rd Apr 2011 8:58 am
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
WARNING ABOUT SLICK 50

Under no circumstances put Slick 50 in an engine.Test done years ago showed that it blocks up the oil pump and oil filter.Modern oil is so good that it does not need any additives.I remember that Mobil One was fitted to a BMW 3 series and the car was run on a rolling road for 1 million miles.The engine was stripped and measured for wear, and all the parts were still in the manufacturers tolerances.Check out on a google search for August 1992 Road Rider magazine or Mercedes slick 50 test. Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Last edited by commando on 5th Apr 2011 9:39 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #97779 5th Apr 2011 9:23 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green
Re: WARNING ABOUT SLICK 50

commando wrote:
Under no circumstances put Slick 50 in an engine.Test done years ago showed that it blocks up the oil pump.Modern oil is so good that it does not need any additives.I remember that Mobil One was fitted to a BMW 3 series and the car was run on a rolling road for 1 million miles.The engine was stripped and measured for wear, and all the parts were still in the manufactures tolerances.

Hi Commando

Just get ready for the requests for links to the official documents and video proof Whistle 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #97785 5th Apr 2011 9:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>