Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Finance & Insurance > What counts as modifications for insurance purposes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
GWO

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
What counts as modifications for insurance purposes?

I wonder if anyone can can help with what is classed as a modification for insurance purposes.

Are factory fitted extras or options classed as modifications?

Are different alloys (Land Rover items) fitted after delivery counted as modifications?

Thanks

Post #16451 25th Mar 2008 9:23 am
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: What counts as modifications for insurance purposes?

GWO wrote:

Are different alloys (Land Rover items) fitted after delivery counted as modifications?

Thanks

Yes. Chris

Post #16456 25th Mar 2008 10:00 am
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I have 18" landrover alloys from ebay, spoiler (ebay), tinted glass, leather, sunroof (all factory) and my insurer did make a note on the policy but didnt ask for more premium. I have heared of some insurers hiking the the premium due to the spolier fit.

You should definately call them and declare all mods from the standard model including factory fit just to be safe. Thumbs Up

S. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #16458 25th Mar 2008 10:27 am
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

I have a friend who pays more for his Mini insurance because it has a union jack on the roof and this might inspire a race hate type vandalism attack Surprised

Post #16463 25th Mar 2008 11:28 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

You should notifiy your insurance company of anything that is different to a standard spec car and or alters the appearance or performance of a car

Basically if you opt for anything that would cost them to replace in the event of a accident or theft.

So if you went and added a £2k body kit and wheels, with privacy glass without telling them and the car was stolen you would stand a high chance of the insurance been invalidated.

They way i look at it, pay a little, and be fully covered Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #16476 25th Mar 2008 1:52 pm
psyxologos

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Would the following count as modifications?

Chrome side tubes
Privacy glass
Tread plates
Mudflaps
Side mouldings

Thanks

Post #48452 9th Oct 2009 1:43 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i would inform them of the privacy glass and side tubes, but mention the others as genuine LR accessories

Let them make the decision Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #48458 9th Oct 2009 8:22 am
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

I told my insurer about everything (even though the spoiler, wheels, seats etc all come as part of the XS Style Pack which was a factory option) and they said they were all modifications. Bear in mind that when they say modifications, they're not just talking about you dropping a SCV8 in it, 'slamming it' to the deck and putting 24" spinner alloys on it. They also want to know about any accessories or options you put on the car or that were put on the car at the time of it's manufacture that would not come as standard.

ie. If I go to a dealer and buy an off the factory line FL2 GS and dont specify ANY options other than colour, then that's standard. As soon as I say to the dealer, I'd like it with xenons, 18" alloys and leather seats - that's modifications to the standard GS spec and are thus notifiable to your insurer. the idea being that if your car is a total insurance loss, they take into account the extra cost of replacing the additions over a standard spec car. If you killed your hypothetical FL2 GS with Xenons et al, you'd be pretty Censored off if the insurer just gave you the value of one without said options and you had to fork out to get them put on.

At least that's the way I see it. 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #48462 9th Oct 2009 9:50 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

That's the way i see it also Thumbs Up

LR Insurance say any genuine LR add on are covered automatically, they have even covered the Rosen DVD screens i have without any further cost also

Definitely worth a phone call, just on the genuine parts replacement in a crash etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #48465 9th Oct 2009 10:31 am
psyxologos

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I added everything. They increased my premium by £31 though...

Post #48533 10th Oct 2009 3:23 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

So I have just picked up my FL2 SE with tints and soon to be HSE allys, told the insurers and they want best part of £100 extra to cover the mods. This bumps my premium to more than I was paying for my group 19 330i capable of 0-60 in 6s! - this is with Privlilege by the way

Out of you lot out there with mods, who are you insured with and how much extra are you paying. I will be renewing in April so I'm hoping I can get a reaonable quote this time round!

PS when landrover provided a quote with the drive away insurance it came to over £900! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #76994 27th Sep 2010 9:34 am
MVS

I'm with LR insurance. This is what they said to me.
Quote "If the alloys are LR items and only an inch up or down in size from origional spec no need to notify us"

Post #76995 27th Sep 2010 9:57 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

likewise LR said that to me also

They also said that if i wished i could drop down from the 19"s to 17" with winter/AT tyres without issues

they did need to know about my 19's, towbar, side tubes, rear seat DVDs, roofbars etc too

how much difference it made i wouldn't know as their on the car, so no point asking if they wasn't

if you want them you may have to pay for them Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #76997 27th Sep 2010 10:06 am
athelstan

The insurance system here in CH works differently re options.

The insurer will automatically allow the insured 10% of the vehicle purchase price for "accessories" to be included in the policy at no extra charge. Some insist that you itemize these accessories, others do not. Above this value you will have to detail what you are wanting to be covered and an additional premium will be required.

Post #76998 27th Sep 2010 10:34 am
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

So what about going from 215/75 R16s to 225/75 r16s AT's ? We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #77048 27th Sep 2010 7:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>