Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Finance & Insurance > Fitted sidesteps + mudflaps. Insurance went up.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kelley07

Wales 
Fitted sidesteps + mudflaps. Insurance went up.

Hi - Bought my FL2 a month ago. I phoned my insurance company up to tell them that i was changing from a Range Rover Sport to a FL2. They told me that they would just transfer my insurance over as i only had two months left on it and this would be more beneficial than cancelling the policy and taking a new policy out. I did tell them that i was going to fit sidesteps and mudflaps at the time and they told me to ring them when i do and they will just add them on my policy. I fitted them today and phoned my insurance company to let them know. They then told me that i had to pay an extra £32 straight away or i would not be insured as i carried out modifications to the car. Only 4 weeks left before my policy ends with them. Censored Will be looking for another insurance company in 4 weeks and told them that on the phone. He told me that he would take note of our conversation and before i do change to another company - Give them a ring and they may be able to insure me cheaper because i have been with them for quite a few years. They can Censored
Warning is to everyone - If you do carry out any modifications - Declare it to your insurance or your insurance will be void, as i was told. Neutral

Post #141906 4th May 2012 6:36 pm
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

disgraceful so basically on an annual policy its an extra 8 pounds per week totalling an extra 416 pounds per year i would of told them to Censored off theiving Censored

Post #141907 4th May 2012 6:42 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Probably find the majority of that 32quid is administration charges - even so it really makes me cross how insurance companies try and capatalise on those who care enough about there cars to modify them! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #141911 4th May 2012 7:02 pm
Kelley07

Wales 

Hi - Since posting this the insurance company has phoned me back and told me that £21 was administration charges and they would refund me this, but would still have to pay £11 for 4 weeks cover for fitting the steps and flaps. Happy about the refund - But still Censored off about having to pay extra to try and protect my car.

Post #141912 4th May 2012 7:11 pm
RazMan

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White

I wonder what would have happened if you said that these items came with the car as ordered Question

Sounds like a jobsworth ticking boxes to me .... ah yes Mr K so your car has been modified? Ka-ching! That will be a standard extra premium charge because that's what it says on my script sheet Whistle Cheers,
Raz
FL1 TD4 GS Auto 2001 Silver
FL2 TD4 Auto 2007 Black
FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2012 Fuji White

Post #141933 4th May 2012 11:42 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Don't tell them!!

They never ask about accessories, of they do just say they were on the car when purchased

Post #141934 4th May 2012 11:48 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

landy19840 wrote:
Don't tell them!!

They never ask about accessories, of they do just say they were on the car when purchased

Following this advice will guarantee the widest choice of insurers and the lowest possible premium.

Just make sure that you do it at the start of a year when you can be 100% certain that you aren't going to want to make an insurance claim and you'll be absolutely fine... Rolling Eyes

Post #141939 5th May 2012 6:04 am
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

landy19840 wrote:
Don't tell them!!

I have to say that's very poor advice. If you are involved in an accident and someone is injured (or worse) and, in the subsequent investigation, it comes out that you hadn't fully disclosed relevant facts to your insurer (eg modified car), you are at risk of having your policy declared invalid. I wouldn't want to be in that situation. And, my guess is that you would struggle to get car insurance ever again Confused

Having said that, I think that upping premiums aggressively for relatively minor mods (cosmetic) is a way for insurance companies to make some easy money and, in an ideal world (ie one where some real competition exists between insurers) the market would help ameliorate the more excessive premium demands... ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #141944 5th May 2012 11:37 am
landy19840

If I went into the dealer now bought a top spec freel2 with every accessory on possible I still would not tell them as they don't need to know! Not many people tell them either. As it really does not matter, alongside you state the value of the vehicle correctly!

Side steps should not efect your policy one bit, and I would probably not insure with them again for that! And when you phone up you are basically offering them money! Do you expect them to say "ok sir thanks for telling us that's no charge we give you money back for being honest" Yeah right, get a Censored Censored grip!

So if I bought a second hand freelancer 2 with all the accesries on would you tell them then?? Most defo not! you don't know what accessories are on it. And quite frankly the insurance company is just gonna want to pull your pants down more!

Post #141946 5th May 2012 11:55 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

In connection with these type of "mods" I think the insurers are more concerned about "risk" in respect to any increase in total value for right-off or repair purposes. (Not that they ever pay out enough to replace like for like! Whistle ) "Risk" in respect to the type of driver who wants added bling on a motor is another matter..... 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #141950 5th May 2012 12:38 pm
piattj

landy19840 wrote:
If I went into the dealer now bought a top spec freel2 with every accessory on possible I still would not tell them as they don't need to know! Not many people tell them either. As it really does not matter, alongside you state the value of the vehicle correctly!

Side steps should not efect your policy one bit, and I would probably not insure with them again for that! And when you phone up you are basically offering them money! Do you expect them to say "ok sir thanks for telling us that's no charge we give you money back for being honest" Yeah right, get a Censored Censored grip!

So if I bought a second hand freelancer 2 with all the accesries on would you tell them then?? Most defo not! you don't know what accessories are on it. And quite frankly the insurance company is just gonna want to pull your pants down more!

I think that is summarised as "taking the risk yourself" (rather than paying the premium and having the insurance co take the risk, which I believe is the normal model... ...

Post #141951 5th May 2012 12:40 pm
landy19840

Mud flaps tho??? Come on!!!!!

Post #141952 5th May 2012 12:44 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I agree. Mudflaps should be standard anyway. I have to tell them about the tow bar though - or questions could be asked if I have an accident whilst towing! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #141953 5th May 2012 12:59 pm
piattj

Dear Landy19840... don't burst a blood vessel! I agree that there are absurdities. Yes fitting mud flaps should have no impact on your policy/premium. But where do you (or your insurance co) draw the line? Do you think that you can unilaterally decide that (eg) you don't need to tell the insurer about your rear spoiler, your uprated stereo, your tinted screens, your lo profile tyres, your chipped engine... somewhere along that chain is a point where an insurer might, reasonably, deem it a material change & therefore likely to impact the attractiveness, performance or value of your car and ask you for an increased premium.

At this point, I refer to my initial post and state that the market should weed out (or at least change the view) of belligerent insurers, in order that they don't start to lose market share to more amenable insurers. Being open with potential insurers should allow you to find an insurer that takes a more reasonable approach, and those co's will flourish.

The key point is that, if YOU decide not to tell about modification, YOU are assuming some risk that (probably) you would like the insurer to assume under the policy. ...

Post #141954 5th May 2012 12:59 pm
landy19840

I have not yet far to young for that, I just hate insurance companies more than public transport

Window tints=NO
spoiler for freel2=NO
Engine mod=YES
Towbar=No
No one upgrades stereo anymore
Tyre/ winter/ At=NO

Post #141955 5th May 2012 1:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>