« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Tyre Wear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chris H

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Tyre Wear

Just wanted to ask a quick question regarding uneven tyre wear.

My car has done about 24k miles and I've recently noticed that the tyre wear on the rear is uneven across the tyres. The outsides on both tyres are at about 3mm and insides on both tyres are around 5mm. The front tyres appear to have similar tread across the tyre.

I've had uneven trye wear before, but normally only on 1 trye, but not identical wear on both of them. I'm assuming I need to get the tracking/camber checked and changed accordingly.

As a side note though I had my diff changed at around 2k miles, could the local stealer have not correctly put it back together to cause this wear?

Thanks

Chris

Post #72530 21st Jul 2010 1:05 pm
alex_pescaru

That tyre wear on the rear axle is due to an improper toe adjustment. You have a toe-in situation.
It is possible that when they changed the diff, in order to gain an easy access, they removed the rear lower arm(s) of the rear suspension. This lower arm is essential for toe adjustments of the rear axle.
So, I believe that a proper wheel(s) alignment is in order. They should have done it by default... Either they didn't do it or was improperly done.
Insist to be done properly, even look over their shoulders to the values, because the toe adjustment, especially on the rear axle is a sensible one for rear driven cars or 4WDs. For example, an improper adjustment, with a too much toe-out situation, could lead to a very unstable car.
You don't want that the rear axle to have a mind of its own and track in a wrong direction, especially at speed and when cornering.
If you want to verify them, at an independant garage, below are the proper values:
https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...ations.pdf

Post #72534 21st Jul 2010 2:56 pm
Chris H

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks Alex. It's due a service within the next couple of weeks so I was going to ask them then.

Should these have been checked when it had it's first service?

Post #72537 21st Jul 2010 3:37 pm
alex_pescaru

No, wheel alignment is done only when there is a motive to do so. Like in your case.
Or if you are a perfectionist and too in love of your car. Very Happy
It isn't in the standard maintenance check list.
Still, the inspection of the tyres _is_ and if they will see the uneven wear, they should investigate further and if needed, eventualy, do the alignment.
You can test their seriousness and not say anything about it. And only if they won't point it out, you could draw their attention...

Post #72545 21st Jul 2010 5:05 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Alex,
My 10my FL2 GS Auto has now covered 6000 mls and is showing quite bad feathering on N/Side front with noticable feathering on O/S front and both rears. When running my hand over tyre very noticable edges.
dealer says no need to do alignment check as this is normal.
I have 4 SE wheels in garage (ebay purchase) which covered 3000 miles with original owner and 8000 miles on my 08 FL2, they show no signs of this type of wear. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #72579 22nd Jul 2010 10:41 am
alex_pescaru

Force them to check the alignment. For sure there will be discrepancies from standard.
Feathering is also a sign of incorrect toe settings. Your case is also a toe-in situation.
A toe-in is when the distance between the front part of the wheels on an axle is smaller than the distance between the rear part of the same wheels.
Roads are usually inclined towards the kerb. So the car, when in motion, will have a tendency to go towards the kerb if the steering wheel is left free. To counteract this, you will pull the steering wheel a little toward the centre of the road.
In a toe-in situation, this will mean that the off-side wheel tends to become parallel with the road, when the near-side wheel will increase his oblique position comparative with the direction of the road.
So, this is the reason why the near-side wheel is more feathered than the off-side one.

Below is a quote from an internet site which explains in a glance both your and Chris cases:
The direction of the feathering tells you if the tires are toed-in or toed-out (rough edges towards the inside signal toe-in while rough edges to the outside indicate toe-out). But on radial tires, toe misalignment tends to roll the shoulder of the tire under as it scrubs producing wear on the inner or outer ribs only. Toe-in will wear the outer rib while toe-out will cause wear on the inner rib. In both instances, wear can be aggravated even more if the tires are underinflated.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/wheel_alignment.htm

Post #72593 22nd Jul 2010 4:38 pm
lem_jpm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Funny that - I have just had to replace the rear tyres and the outside edges of both had worn more than the insides. I had also had the rear diff replaced. However this was some 18 months and 30k miles ago, so still got pretty good mileage and fronts being replace tomorrow. Guess the alignment might be out slightly, but is it out enough to warrant the expense of an full re-alignment check....now out of warranty so would have to pay?

Post #72607 22nd Jul 2010 8:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1