« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Changing Wheels arround
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Changing Wheels arround

Hi, can any one tell me if you are supposed to rotate the wheels arround. On my CR-V and an X-Trail you were advised to rotate them every 6000miles, I cannot see anything about this in the handbook for the LR2. I have heard horror stories of Volvo's destroying their center diff because of the tyres being a different circumfrence and winding the diff up. (funny I thought the purpose of a Diferential was to allow for different speeds).
Do LR use a better system, or are the others using this as an excuse to avoid a warranty claim.

Post #71815 10th Jul 2010 5:35 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

They are swiched around on the same axle at each service. ie nearside to offside, not back to front.

Post #71818 10th Jul 2010 6:48 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Mine wasn't swapped as my kerbed one is still on the same side Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #71820 10th Jul 2010 7:06 pm
ad210358

England 

npinks wrote:
Mine wasn't swapped as my kerbed one is still on the same side Confused

My eldest lad kerbed hid N/S front alloy and was gutted, he then had a service and a week or so later clipped the N/S front one again, he was not botherd as he had already marked it, when he looked at the damage later when he arrived home, he then realised that when he had the service they swapped the wheels round so he then had two kerbed alloys. Thud p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #71822 10th Jul 2010 8:37 pm
alex_pescaru

Re: Changing Wheels arround

1STFREELANDER wrote:
I have heard horror stories of Volvo's destroying their center diff because of the tyres being a different circumfrence and winding the diff up.

You maybe heard right, because there is no center diff. in Volvo's cars (if you reffer to XC90, for example).
Volvo uses a Haldex coupling, like FL2, between axles, which, when fully engaged, is acting like a locked center differential.
This mean that the rear axle will be driven with the same rotational speed like the front axle.
So any difference in speed between the axles, because of the tires, is disipated in transmission's elements between the axles. Who is in between the axles? The Haldex coupling...
So FL2 owners beware! The FL2 uses a precharged Haldex coupling when starting from standing still. This mean that all 4 wheels are receiving power when starting to move. If front axle has wheels with different circumference that rear axle's wheels, this mean that on-the-road rotational speed of front axle is different than on-the-road rotational speed of rear axle and all this will translate in a Haldex failure waiting to happen!
Now, if we sit and think a little, I believe that the normal slight more wear of front axle's wheels is way to low for a considerable in between axles speed difference and therefore not a real problem.
But to be on the safe side, maybe it will be better to rotate them, front to back and viceversa... Wink

Post #71823 10th Jul 2010 9:24 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Nazca Sand Eddie wrote:
They are swiched around on the same axle at each service. ie nearside to offside, not back to front.

That's what it says in the owners' manual too. I was surprised as I've never come across this before. the advice USED to be that radial tyres become "handed" to the direction of travel, so should not be swapped from side to side. Indeed I have in the past solved steering problems by swapping the front tyres over. It may be that regular swapping of the wheels from side to side would overcome this, but the recommended 15000miles is hardly "regular"! Anyone know the reasoning behind this?

Post #71825 10th Jul 2010 9:59 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

it used to always be change over corner to corner to even out the wear, but does this not apply to four wheel drive ? and if so why ?

Iain

Post #71833 11th Jul 2010 9:19 am
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

On both my CR-V and a Nissan X Trail the tyres had to be swopped corner to corner every 6000 miles to even out the wear.

Post #72394 20th Jul 2010 1:01 am
Junior

England 

1STFREELANDER wrote:
On both my CR-V and a Nissan X Trail the tyres had to be swopped corner to corner every 6000 miles to even out the wear.

Are those vehicles permanent 4WD?

Post #72423 20th Jul 2010 11:55 am
wingit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Nissan X-Trail is 2-wheel, front wheel drive in standard/normal setting.

Post #72430 20th Jul 2010 4:33 pm
landieguy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey
Rotating wheels

Not sure with the all the tyre variants that LR use, but my Continental Cross Contacts on the Shadow Chrome rims are an Assymetrical pattern but i'm not sure if they are classed "Directional" as well. If they are this would restrict any wheel changes to same side of vehicle and not allow corner to corner swops. I will have to check - I think there is some form of arrow indicator used on directional tyres. Any ideas as to whether LR are using directional tyres?

Post #72498 21st Jul 2010 12:08 am
alex_pescaru

It's important to change them front to rear and back, no matter if it is in a cross pattern (side to side) or the change is on the same side.
Unidirectional tyres always have the (big) directional arrow clearly marked.

Post #72501 21st Jul 2010 6:21 am
psyxologos

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

So, just to clarify: Do we need to do this ourselves or is this taken care of during service? Mine is booked in for Monday (annual service) so should I ask them to swap the front wheels with the back?

Post #72562 22nd Jul 2010 1:44 am
alex_pescaru

Better ask them.
In the maintenance sheet they say: "Refit road wheels to opposite sides of the same axle ( Use anti-sieze compound on spigot bore ) - Not vehicles fitted with uni-directional tyres"
But they need to be rotated front to back also, for the reasons stated above in the thread.
In the previous FL1 handbook, they also say:
"Ideally, tyres should be replaced as sets of four, but if this is not possible, replace the tyres as axle sets. When replacing tyres in axle sets, always fit the new tyres to the rear axle."

Post #72567 22nd Jul 2010 6:52 am
psyxologos

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

alex_pescaru wrote:
Better ask them.
In the maintenance sheet they say: "Refit road wheels to opposite sides of the same axle ( Use anti-sieze compound on spigot bore ) - Not vehicles fitted with uni-directional tyres"
But they need to be rotated front to back also, for the reasons stated above in the thread.
In the previous FL1 handbook, they also say:
"Ideally, tyres should be replaced as sets of four, but if this is not possible, replace the tyres as axle sets. When replacing tyres in axle sets, always fit the new tyres to the rear axle."

Thanks Alex. I shall have a look!

Post #72584 22nd Jul 2010 1:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1