« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > intermittent humming noise from rear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Porky

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Alaska White
intermittent humming noise from rear

hi again apologies for posting alot but still getting used to the LR2 (a month in)

i have had a strange intermittent noise from rear of car that i describe as a humming noise very loud and disturbing BUT it only on certain road surfaces in my area (tar & chipping) speed say 40-60 mph and always in the same spots on repeated journeys but only lasts for a short wile 5-15sec

for example on a 50mile journey from on a mix of road surface and dual carriage ways so speeds from 30 mph to 50 mph to 70 mph there are only two spots (both tar & chippings surface) where this loud noise appears. you can hear it start low increase to very loud and then goes away, total time say 5-15secs

Now after a lot of reading on here i thought it was the old tyre Goodyear Wranglers age 2016 rear and 2019 on fronts with some tread depth difference.

so yesterday i treated it to a new set or 4, Michelin Cross climate 2 and went for a spin up the roads where i get the noise and yes the noise appeared in the same spots !! gutted

any suggestions
2013 gs model 54K on clock auto bax

Post #440423 27th Mar 2024 12:28 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Check the mass dampers on the rear struts. They should be softly sprung, and not loose any floppy. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #440425 27th Mar 2024 2:39 pm
Porky

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Alaska White

HI Nodge68
thanks for your reply i have had a look at the rear shocks and it doesnt look like they are fitted
(i take it these are what looks like a rubber bush that is bolted under the coil spring platform)

did all models have them as mine is a GS model uk ?

are they worth fitting as the prices seem very high at around £170 each

Post #440438 28th Mar 2024 9:47 am
Dean1234

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

They were fitted to our 2010 XS but we decided not to purchase new ones when we renewed the whole suspension all-round. I cannot say I've heard any audible or vibration difference at all from not having them fitted. I know when I questioned those bushes with an experience mechanic, he said the following.

"When a car is new, manufacturers do everything that they can to keep the car as quiet and as vibration free as possible. The bushes were probably only installed to remove a certain frequency of vibration in certain cases. As a car ages and things wear, the car develops tiny additional vibrations and noises from anything that has a bush or connection in it. So some tiny pieces of rubber hanging from each leg of the suspension isn't going to make a great deal of difference in the whole scheme of things." Smile https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #440446 28th Mar 2024 11:10 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Porky wrote:
HI Nodge68
thanks for your reply i have had a look at the rear shocks and it doesnt look like they are fitted
(i take it these are what looks like a rubber bush that is bolted under the coil spring platform)

did all models have them as mine is a GS model uk ?

are they worth fitting as the prices seem very high at around £170 each

Yes all models have them.

They used to be really cheap (about £25 IIRC) but since Covid have shot up in price.

The reason they are fitted, is to reduce harmonics on certain road surfaces.

I found they do make a difference, but only on those surfaces that create the harmonics in the first place. LR didn't fit them for no reason, so they definitely do something.

I was lucky and managed to pick up a pair for £60, but the prices have since gone silly. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #440460 28th Mar 2024 6:36 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The older the tyres the more noise they make. If they are bidirectional swap them left / right & they will be a bit quieter. The sipes make more noise as they get shallower. Concrete roads are very noisy made worse with all terrain tyres, but you can improve the noise levels a lot.

Add acoustic insulation: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #440493 31st Mar 2024 4:52 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1